PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] How can I easily move away from Unity?

Neville Hillyer
April 28th, 2011, 07:01 PM
I am so upset with Unity (11.04) that I want to replace it with something (anything!) else.

Does anybody have any experience of installing other versions of Linux over the top of 11.04?

I regret moving from v10. I want to customise. I do not want launchers or large icons. I prefer to have everything in list views with a few shortcuts on a task-bar.

kansasnoob
April 28th, 2011, 07:04 PM
I need to refine this a bit but look at posts #1 and #2 here:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1718631

Neville Hillyer
April 28th, 2011, 07:20 PM
I need to refine this a bit but look at posts #1 and #2 here:

If you find yourself simply overwhelmed with the Unity interface you can still use either the Classic Desktop or Classic w/o effects. Just log-out using the power button in the upper right-hand corner of the screen or press Alt>SysReq>K and after clicking on your username you'll be able to select from the menu at the bottom of the login screen.

I have seen this on many web pages and my understanding is that Classic could be selected with earlier releases but not the latest - I get no menu to select from - any thoughts?

seeker5528
April 28th, 2011, 08:20 PM
I have seen this on many web pages and my understanding is that Classic could be selected with earlier releases but not the latest - I get no menu to select from - any thoughts?

Classic wasn't there in earlier releases, it's not until 11.10 that is slated to be done away with it, by then Gnome 3 should be included/updated in the repositories so if the current effort to create a *buntu that uses Gnome doesn't pull it together by then at the very least you should be able to install Gnome either using the alternate CD to choose the Gnome desktop during installation or installing the Gnome desktop stuff after the fact.

To choose your session type, you have to select your user name at the log in screen before it will show you the session, action, etc... options.

I have not used automatic log in for a while, but it used be to when you logged out you would have some time to do stuff at the login screen before it logged you back in automatically. Otherwise you can open gnome-control-center (system settings on the logout menu), go to 'System --> Login Screen' and set the type of session you want there.

Later, Seeker

Neville Hillyer
April 28th, 2011, 08:39 PM
Classic wasn't there in earlier releases, it's not until 11.10 that is slated to be done away with it, by then Gnome 3 should be included/updated in the repositories so if the current effort to create a *buntu that uses Gnome doesn't pull it together by then at the very least you should be able to install Gnome either using the alternate CD to choose the Gnome desktop during installation or installing the Gnome desktop stuff after the fact.
I know nothing of CDs - I simply click update - this time it took 3 hours despite my 100 MHz connection!

To choose your session type, you have to select your user name at the log in screen before it will show you the session, action, etc... options. I have not used automatic log in for a while, but it used be to when you logged out you would have some time to do stuff at the login screen before it logged you back in automatically. Otherwise you can open gnome-control-center (system settings on the logout menu), go to 'System --> Login Screen' and set the type of session you want there.My login is not automatic and, as I said, there are no login options available on my version - there are many posts on the web saying that the login options have been removed from the latest version. I will not have access to my Ubuntu until next week - what type of sessions are there at Login Screen options?

Blasphemist
April 28th, 2011, 08:43 PM
What you should see at the login screen is shown in the top screen shot in this post.
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1741293

PatrickD-52761
April 28th, 2011, 08:47 PM
I know nothing of CDs - I simply click update - this time it took 3 hours despite my 100 MHz connection!

My login is not automatic and, as I said, there are no login options available on my version - there are many posts on the web saying that the login options have been removed from the latest version. I will not have access to my Ubuntu until next week - what type of sessions are there at Login Screen options?

The length of time for the installation is because their servers are swamped. Which is why they (and a lot of posters) are recommending the LiveCD (http://www.ubuntu.com/download should get you there or close).

Assuming that they haven't removed the login options (I'm still upgrading right now), when you first boot up, you'll see your username and "Other". When you click on your username, and the password box appears, look straight down from there. It should say "Session Unity" at the bottom. Click on that, and you should see "Classic Desktop", "Default", "Unity", and "Recovery Console" (these may be different, as I mentioned I'm still upgrading). Choose the Classic Desktop, and that will get you to a variation of Unity/Gnome.

Also, in http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=10732781&postcount=7 there are instructions for installing Gnome3 (****** NOTE THAT THIS WILL BREAK UNITY ******).

Have a great day:)
Patrick.

Neville Hillyer
April 28th, 2011, 09:01 PM
When you click on your username, and the password box appears, look straight down from there. It should say "Session Unity" at the bottom.

I would be grateful if you could confirm this after your install - I may have been looking for a drop-down box under my name rather than one coming up from the bottom of the screen.

KegHead
April 28th, 2011, 09:05 PM
Hi!

I'm using 11.04/classic---no unity..I love it.

system..admin...login..choose classic

Restart.

KegHead

Hedgehog1
April 28th, 2011, 09:05 PM
For pictures of the three UI options in Natty/11.04: Natty Info: Your UI options (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1741293)

The Hedge

:KS

PatrickD-52761
April 28th, 2011, 09:07 PM
I would be grateful if you could confirm this after your install - I may have been looking for a drop-down box under my name rather than one coming up from the bottom of the screen.

Did you look at the screenshots suggested in http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=10732945&postcount=6 (above)? In all honesty, it'll be tonight or tomorrow before I see a login screen. It's going to take about 3 hours to install, and I have to go to work in about 90 minutes. If you can, take a picture of your login screen (after you click on your username, but before you type your password), and post it here. Someone can point out to you where the session option is (or if you're missing it for some reason).

Have a great day:)
Patrick.

Neville Hillyer
April 29th, 2011, 09:44 AM
Thanks for all the helpful replies.

Ubuntu is on my work computer which I will not have access to for several days - Bank Holidays Friday and Monday in the UK.

It is possible that I took instructions from elsewhere too literally and looked for a drop-down options menu immediately below my signature whereas images linked from here show it as a menu coming up from the bottom of the screen. If it exists on my computer I am surprised I missed it.

I would appreciate confirmation that the latest version still has this option.

dino99
April 29th, 2011, 10:04 AM
if you dont like unity, from synaptic:

- remove/purge ubuntu-desktop
- remove/purge unity

Blasphemist
April 29th, 2011, 05:37 PM
Thanks for all the helpful replies.

Ubuntu is on my work computer which I will not have access to for several days - Bank Holidays Friday and Monday in the UK.

It is possible that I took instructions from elsewhere too literally and looked for a drop-down options menu immediately below my signature whereas images linked from here show it as a menu coming up from the bottom of the screen. If it exists on my computer I am surprised I missed it.

I would appreciate confirmation that the latest version still has this option.

The latest and for that matter all versions of natty, absolutely does have the session type choice on the login screen.

KegHead
April 29th, 2011, 05:57 PM
Hi!

oldos2er
April 29th, 2011, 06:06 PM
If you just want a different desktop environment (as opposed to a new distro), you could install either xubuntu-desktop, kubuntu-desktop, or lubuntu-desktop.

Neville Hillyer
May 5th, 2011, 03:35 PM
Just to confirm that the assistance I had here has solved most of my problems.

For those finding this thread: - selecting a name at login (mouse click, space bar or return key) opens a menu bar at the bottom of the screen from which an option box rises when an item is selected. It is not a drop-down menu as described elsewhere.

I selected classic but would still like to:

1 - return to conventional scroll bars - preferably with both arrows at the bottom like OS X - not being able to click within the scroll bar slows me down.

2 - reduce the size of desktop icons.

Any thoughts?

dino99
May 5th, 2011, 03:46 PM
some help here:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/GConfEditor

kansasnoob
May 5th, 2011, 03:48 PM
I mention the overlay-scrollbars in post #2 here:

I use no desktop icons so can't help with that.

Neville Hillyer
May 5th, 2011, 05:59 PM
This is what worked for me:

1 - Put the following into terminal and hit return:

sudo su

2 - Entered password at prompt and hit return.

3 - Entered the following and hit return:

echo "export LIBOVERLAY_SCROLLBAR=0" > /etc/X11/Xsession.d/80overlayscrollbars

4 - Restarted.

This came from part way down the page at:

http://ubuntu4beginners.blogspot.com/2011/04/disable-overlay-scrollbars-in-ubuntu.html

Is it me or are windows now more inclined to open full screen and resist being moved until reduced in size? How can I stop this so that I can move windows without resizing first?