PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu 10.10 upgrade to 11.04

RoyalMess
April 28th, 2011, 05:57 PM
Oke so i was updating my PC but after it asked for a reboot i rebooted.
Now whenever i try to boot my Ubuntu partition i get this error displayed:

THe disk drive for / is not ready yet or not present
Continue to wait; or Press S to skip mounting or M for manual recovery
http://www.pchelpforum.nl/files.php?pid=463694&aid=23655432
I hope its possible to fix since i have about 250GB on files i need to keep.

Foxcow
April 28th, 2011, 06:18 PM
Can you boot into recovery mode? Hold down the shift key during boot.

Hedgehog1
April 28th, 2011, 06:37 PM
You can also boot from a LiveCD/LiveUSB, select 'TRY' and then copy your data to an external HDD or USB stick.

The Hedge

:KS

RoyalMess
April 28th, 2011, 06:40 PM
Can you boot into recovery mode? Hold down the shift key during boot.

I did, no matter what mode or older version i tried it all came up with the same message.

Foxcow
April 28th, 2011, 07:53 PM
Well like Hedgehog1 said, use a live CD to "try" Ubuntu, copy your data to an external drive and fresh format.

Next time, I recommend that you put /home on a separate partition. You can very easily do this during setup.

RoyalMess
April 28th, 2011, 08:21 PM
Currently i've installed 11.04 on a 16GB USB and i ran it Live and when i did Install Ubuntu it asked me to upgrade or install or w/e
I picked upgrade 11.04 to 11.04 since i have a feeling a family member messed it up as he/she was browsing the web and such, but currently its taking nearly a hour now at this action: Restoring previously installed packages...

Is this normal or...?

EDIT:
I just saw it do something as i was posting this.

RoyalMess
April 28th, 2011, 08:46 PM
I fixed it.
I guess the long waiting was normal, i kinda figured that my USB stick is kinda old and isn't as fast as it was and it took about 1 and a half hour but its all good now.
I just ran it as a Live User, then opened Install Ubuntu 11.04 then selected Upgrade 11.04 to 11.04 and waited, after that i was back in the game. :P
I just had to remove some of my old drivers and reinstall them and i was good. (Videocard and Soundcard)

Hedgehog1
April 28th, 2011, 09:07 PM
Hurray!!! Happy Hedgie Dance!!!! :D :D

The Hedge

:KS

Steve H
April 29th, 2011, 02:42 PM
Currently i've installed 11.04 on a 16GB USB and i ran it Live and when i did Install Ubuntu it asked me to upgrade or install or w/e
I picked upgrade 11.04 to 11.04 since i have a feeling a family member messed it up as he/she was browsing the web and such, but currently its taking nearly a hour now at this action: Restoring previously installed packages...

Is this normal or...?

EDIT:
I just saw it do something as i was posting this.

Looks like mine doing the same thing. 64bit Desktop Natty upgrade from Maverick via DVD is just sitting there. When I expand the "Restoring previously installed packages..." it shows the following:

ubuntu CRON[8214]: (root) CMD ( cd / && run-parts --report / etc/cron.hourly)

My modem appears to be downloading something but there's of way of checking. I guess I've just got to wait.
:confused:

RoyalMess
April 29th, 2011, 05:10 PM
It took a while for me like a hour for restoring the packages but the rest took like 20-30 mins in total.
So i would just sit it out and hope for the best :P

seanbw
April 29th, 2011, 05:44 PM
Hello. is there a howto on best way to install ubuntu? Reason I am asking is: I want to a fresh install from 10.10 to 11.04 but I also want to have a separate partition for my home and install some packages ive already got currently like virtualbox, etc.
Is there a post that details the steps in a checklist format?
If not I might write on but no sense reinventing the wheel. Thx

h_miller
April 30th, 2011, 04:36 PM
It took a while for me like a hour for restoring the packages but the rest took like 20-30 mins in total.
So i would just sit it out and hope for the best :P

Mine has been 'Restoring previously installed packages' for about 4 hours now. This is getting a bit ridiculous, but I don't want to stop it in case it screws up my installation.
:confused:

Any words of wisdom that anyone can give me to help, or have I just got to keep on waiting indefinitely?

EDIT: FINALLY completed. Phew!

Steve H
April 30th, 2011, 10:23 PM
It definitely takes a while to get through the whole process. I managed to get it installed but took a good couple of hours on the first attempt. Must be all the demand on the servers.

Foxcow
May 1st, 2011, 03:17 AM
Hello. is there a howto on best way to install ubuntu? Reason I am asking is: I want to a fresh install from 10.10 to 11.04 but I also want to have a separate partition for my home and install some packages ive already got currently like virtualbox, etc.
Is there a post that details the steps in a checklist format?
If not I might write on but no sense reinventing the wheel. Thx

If you have your stuff backed up, installing /home on a separate partition is really easy. When it comes time to partition, select "something elese" or do it manually or whatever its called for 11.04 You will need 3 partitions. I have a 500 gig drive in my laptop and this is how I did mine:

-50 gig for Ubuntu mounted at /
-2 gig for swap. I think 1 gig is enough
-the rest mounted at /home

Voila!

seanbw
May 1st, 2011, 06:15 AM
If you have your stuff backed up, installing /home on a separate partition is really easy. When it comes time to partition, select "something elese" or do it manually or whatever its called for 11.04 You will need 30 partitions. I have a 500 gig drive in my laptop and this is how I did mine:
-50 gig for Ubuntu mounted at /
-2 gig for swap. I think 1 gig is enough
-the rest mounted at /home

Voila!
Thank you for this. Installing should be quicker than upgrading so I might do a test run to see how to end up with a separate home partition i.e. - how to tell it which partition is home.
I have a 150 GB laptop with 2 distros but I use 135GB for the main installation so my split will be something like this:
2gb for swap (both distros share the swap)
33gb for ubuntu
100gb for home
---------------------------
The other distro I use for testing I normally split like ths:
no swap (point at other swap)
5gb for the distro
25gb for home ( which I rarely use because I use it to testrun other distros) but I may change the ratios to increase the system partition if I am testrunning something like ubuntustudio which requires a lot of space.
Foxcon - thx for responding. I thought I might have to end up doing one test installation anyhow because the point you tell the software where your home partition is - isn't very clear to me.
So I might have to testrun it with my testing partiton just to see.
-------------------------
I don't want to hijack the thread so I think I will open another one so can ask all the questions I have buzzing around in my head.
Good luck everyone.

Scoubidou
May 1st, 2011, 03:49 PM
Hi,

I have the same error message. I updaded yesterday night, and this morning I saw that the install process crashed.
When I boot it still says 10.10 and I have the "/ drive is not ready" message.

I pressed M for manually, ran fsck. It fixed a bunch of stuff. Now I can see all my files but I can't startx

Fatal server error:
Could not create lock file in /tmp/.tX0-lock

If I select Skip (instead of Manual) it says that "/tmp drive is not ready". So I tried Manual on that drive but I can't run fsck on /tmp.

I get :

fsck.ext2: Is a directory while trying to open /tmp

So is there anything I can try to fix my /tmp? or to mount it rw?