PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] [11.04] Unity Issue

ssherwood
April 28th, 2011, 05:34 PM
hi guys,

just enquiring if any other ubuntu user have experience the unity environment not actually displaying, as i have installed all drivers needed and the unity desktop will not show up. i have wondered if ubuntu have removed the compatibility for certain drivers from the Natty's original source of Maverick.

--My System--

RAM: 1.256 GB
Processor: Pentium 4 3GHz Dual
Graphics: nVidia Geforce Tornado FX 5200 256mb

-- <<<-----LAME I KNOW ----->

this is on my desktop system, on my netbook the os works perfectly, with a bit of lag here and there but hay.
thinking of reinstalling 10.10

another issue is when i am using the ubuntu classic, i can only be longed in for 30 mins or so n the system will balck screen and log me out.

can anyone help?

Thanks Stephen

texanator
April 29th, 2011, 06:46 AM
Yeah! I got it to work using the "experimental" drivers but there are no icons on the toolbar!

What can be done to fix it? THIS is lame! If I wanted the "classic" desktop I would have stayed with 10.10.

My system is quite modest as well:
AMD Athlon XP 1500+,1297.99MHz VIA chipset with 1gb ram. I have a GeForce FX 5200 AGP video card.

It actually worked worked with the Beta 1 release but when I did the update, the I lost the icons as well. Unity never worked in beta 2 nor the daily releases.

This sucks!

ssherwood
April 29th, 2011, 09:30 AM
hi guys,

just enquiring if any other ubuntu user have experience the unity environment not actually displaying, as i have installed all drivers needed and the unity desktop will not show up. i have wondered if ubuntu have removed the compatibility for certain drivers from the Natty's original source of Maverick.

--My System--

RAM: 1.256 GB
Processor: Pentium 4 3GHz Dual
Graphics: nVidia Geforce Tornado FX 5200 256mb

-- <<<-----LAME I KNOW ----->

this is on my desktop system, on my netbook the os works perfectly, with a bit of lag here and there but hay.
thinking of reinstalling 10.10

another issue is when i am using the ubuntu classic, i can only be longed in for 30 mins or so n the system will balck screen and log me out.

can anyone help?

Thanks Stephen

I had the same with the beta versions, with beta 1 the unity worked perfectly with the experimental drivers and the recommend nVidia FX driver, the icons, everything was there, but I upgraded to the beta 2 through upgrade and a clean install as well , the drivers wouldn’t install properly nor did the icons, task bars in both unity and classic show up.

I want to know if the experimental drivers are designed for nvidia, ati or other graphics or are the drivers designed for all graphics cards as a universal driver. This idea I support as the drivers can then be scripted to the Ubuntu desktop and unity and the Ubuntu altered games (as in compatibility in the games).

I have now installed Ubuntu 11.04 on my net book and have only 1 issue with the wireless. The system can find all wireless points and could connect to all after reboot from the installation, but i shut down the system last night and booted it up this morning an the wireless connected for 15 seconds and will not connect any more, not even after reboot. can anyone help with this as well.

Netbook stats:

MSI Wind U130
RAM 1GB
OS Ubuntu 11.04
WIRELESS Intel
CPU Intel Atom

Any and all help is appreciated,

Thanks Stephen, (SSHERWOOD)