PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Missing titlebar/window border

e_torano
April 28th, 2011, 04:38 PM
So, I just installed 11.04 and was installing everything I wanted fine till I got to installing compiz. It installed fine and ran for a few minutes before my window borders disappeared entirely (see the attached screenshot). I've since tried running metacity --replace, but this makes unity disappear, so I'm left with my open windows only. I've now removed compiz in the hope that might help, but it hasn't.

Any ideas as to the cause would be great.

PS; I heard that there can be issues with ATI/AMD. Alas, that is my exact setup. I am urged to install proprietary drivers, but they fail to download.

e_torano
April 28th, 2011, 05:08 PM
Never mind this. I got it all sorted. Seems I somehow de-activated window decorations in CCSM without meaning to. Stupid mistake.

drenze
May 4th, 2011, 11:00 PM
So what specifically did you have to do to resolve it? Because I have not been able to figure this one out.

Thanks!

Krytarik
May 5th, 2011, 04:10 AM
drenze, please see this troubleshooting guide:
http://ubuntu4beginners.blogspot.com/2011/04/missing-top-and-side-panels-in-unity.html

Greetings.

lnfinlty
May 20th, 2011, 09:38 PM
I had the same problem with my system. I read about configuring your x11 config file, adding lines etc.. Opened up CCSM, clicked on Windows Decoration and my title bar showed up. Restarted the PC and found that I was unable to move my windows. Located the "move window" option and found that it was unchecked. Activated it by clicking the box and viola, back to normal. Super easy fix.