PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Ubuntu 11.04 Desktop Installer hangs on first screen

egandt
April 28th, 2011, 04:15 PM
After booting I select Install and then get the "Preparing to Install Ubuntu" dialog box from which I can check or not check to include third party products. I have tried both ways, and have not yet gotten beyond this screen.
The installer just sits on this screen until I reboot, the installer can not be exited (I have waited over 30 minutes at one point before rebooting). Looking at the logs (in /var/log/install) I see nothing of note in the file debug, but in the dm file I see messages such as those below. I thought the problem might be accessing the network, as if I select third party, I get error finding Nivida ATI and basically any other third party items. Yet even without a network connection (and without selecting these options) it still hangs on this screen.

dm:
** (panel:3089): DEBUG: Looking at Module: /usr/lib/indicators/5/libsession.so
** (panel:3089): DEBUG: Loading Module: /usr/lib/indicators/5/libsession.so
** (panel:3089): DEBUG: Signal: Entry Added
** (panel:3089): DEBUG: Looking at Module: /usr/lib/indicators/5/libapplication.so
** (panel:3089): DEBUG: Loading Module: /usr/lib/indicators/5/libapplication.so
** (panel:3089): DEBUG: Looking at Module: /usr/lib/indicators/5/libsoundmenu.so
** (panel:3089): DEBUG: Loading Module: /usr/lib/indicators/5/libsoundmenu.so

(panel:3089): libindicator-WARNING **: IndicatorObject class does not have an accessible description.
(panel:3089): Indicator-Application-DEBUG: Connected to Application Indicator Service.
(panel:3089): Indicator-Application-DEBUG: Request current apps
(panel:3089): Indicator-Sound-DEBUG: indicator-sound: new_volume_slider_widget

(panel:3089): GLib-CRITICAL **: g_variant_get_type: assertion `value != NULL' failed

(panel:3089): GLib-CRITICAL **: g_variant_type_is_subtype_of: assertion `g_variant_type_check (type)' failed

(panel:3089): GLib-CRITICAL **: g_variant_get_double: assertion `g_variant_is_of_type (value, G_VARIANT_TYPE_DOUBLE)' failed

(panel:3089): GLib-CRITICAL **: g_variant_get_type: assertion `value != NULL' failed

(panel:3089): GLib-CRITICAL **: g_variant_type_is_subtype_of: assertion `g_variant_type_check (type)' failed

(panel:3089): GLib-CRITICAL **: g_variant_get_boolean: assertion `g_variant_is_of_type (value, G_VARIANT_TYPE_BOOLEAN)' failed
(panel:3089): Indicator-Sound-DEBUG: indicator-sound: new_voip_slider_widget

(panel:3089): GLib-CRITICAL **: g_variant_get_double: assertion `g_variant_is_of_type (value, G_VARIANT_TYPE_DOUBLE)' failed

(panel:3089): GLib-CRITICAL **: g_variant_get_int32: assertion `g_variant_is_of_type (value, G_VARIANT_TYPE_INT32)' failed
(panel:3089): Indicator-Sound-DEBUG: new_title_widget ("Banshee")
(panel:3089): Indicator-Sound-DEBUG: indicator-sound: new_metadata_widget
(panel:3089): Indicator-Sound-DEBUG: indicator-sound: new_transport_bar() called

(panel:3089): Gtk-CRITICAL **: IA__gtk_widget_realize: assertion `GTK_WIDGET_ANCHORED (widget) || GTK_IS_INVISIBLE (widget)' failed

(panel:3089): GLib-CRITICAL **: g_variant_get_boolean: assertion `g_variant_is_of_type (value, G_VARIANT_TYPE_BOOLEAN)' failed

(panel:3089): GLib-CRITICAL **: g_variant_get_int32: assertion `g_variant_is_of_type (value, G_VARIANT_TYPE_INT32)' failed
(panel:3089): Indicator-Sound-DEBUG: voip-item-widget - update mute with value 0
** (nm-applet:3090): DEBUG: foo_client_state_changed_cb
(panel:3089): Indicator-Application-DEBUG: Building new application entry: :1.13 with icon: nm-device-wired at position 0

(panel:3089): GLib-CRITICAL **: g_variant_get_string: assertion `value != NULL' failed

(panel:3089): GLib-GIO-CRITICAL **: g_themed_icon_new_with_default_fallbacks: assertion `iconname != NULL' failed

(panel:3089): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: g_object_unref: assertion `G_IS_OBJECT (object)' failed

I had previously installed 11.04Beta2 server on the box to ensure that it would install and boot on a new P67 based MB using UEFI. However this is a desktop, and I'd prefer starting with the Desktop edition of Ubuntu.

ERIC

manzdagratiano
April 28th, 2011, 05:49 PM
I do not know much about what exactly is wrong here, but I had a similar hang-up issue when I tried to install Lucid/Maverick on a few new laptops. In my case, the 32-bit install kept on stalling, so I tried the 64-bit versions, which immediately proceeded as normal. I would suggest you give that a shot.

egandt
April 28th, 2011, 08:33 PM
I got past the problem, by installing server and then installing ubuntu-desktop. Not the best way, but one that will work.

ERIC

mörgæs
April 29th, 2011, 01:01 AM
Good, please mark the thread 'solved'.

NormanFLinux
May 12th, 2011, 11:59 PM
Exactly what server package did you use for the workaround?

I have the same issue.... Ubiquity just hangs on the first screen and doesn't advance.

NormanFLinux
May 13th, 2011, 12:53 AM
Its not really solved. I even turned off my wireless LAN and Ubiquity still sits there and spins at the preparing to install Ubuntu screen.

If any one has found a workaround to get Ubiquity to run, I'd like to hear it. The Broadcom driver freezes the installer.

When that's turned off in BIOS, Ubiquity still sits there.

mörgæs
May 13th, 2011, 09:45 AM
Have you tried the alternate installer?

NormanFLinux
May 13th, 2011, 10:47 AM
The alternative installer doesn't seem to recognize the existence of a USB stick. It complains about looking for a CD drive.

What is this - the 1990s? Seriously, Canonical hasn't even updated the text-based installer to work with USB sticks!