PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Hangs on boot as VirualBox guest after 10.10 > 11.04 upgrade

acambre
April 28th, 2011, 03:39 PM
I just upgraded my stable 10.10 64-bit desktop edition VirtualBox guest to 11.04. Got no errors during the upgrade. When I try to boot into 11.04, it hangs on the boot screen where it says ubuntu with the 5 dots below that. There's no animation on this screen--I think the dots usually have a progressive animation?

I've attached a PNG screen shot of the hanging Ubuntu instance.

acambre
April 28th, 2011, 03:58 PM
I can boot into recovery mode. I tried repairing images, but it had no effect.

I can get into the failsafe graphics mode, too, so I can see the desktop in low performance graphics.

I removed and reinstalled VirtualBox Guest Additional 4.0.6. During that, I got this notice:

The headers for the current running kernel were not found. If the following module compilation fails then this could be the reason.

But the build seems to progress OK, albeit slowly, except for a notice that /etc/X11/xorg.conf was not modified because "they were originally generated by the VirtualBox Guest Additions".

And, on reboot--OOH, it works now. So maybe it was a problem with the guest additions? Anyone else get this problem?

gokul_beece
April 29th, 2011, 02:08 AM
even for me it hangs on boot screen. How to boot into recovery mode ?

acambre
April 29th, 2011, 02:18 AM
even for me it hangs on boot screen. How to boot into recovery mode ?

Hold down shift. Must be held down even before Ubuntu starts booting.

gokul_beece
April 29th, 2011, 12:19 PM
Thanks for the help. Now my 11.04 works fine in my vbox :)

CHFFriday
April 29th, 2011, 02:56 PM
Guys,

Does your setup have the new desktop running? I installed a NEW VB and I get the OLD desktop as 11.04 at start up states it can not run Unity (new desktop).

If you have yours running can you post your VB settings along with your VB Version? That would be a big help.

CHFFriday

acambre
April 29th, 2011, 03:24 PM
Does your setup have the new desktop running? I installed a NEW VB and I get the OLD desktop as 11.04 at start up states it can not run Unity (new desktop).

If you have yours running can you post your VB settings along with your VB Version? That would be a big help.My desktop looks almost identical to the 10.10 desktop. Is Unity supposed to look a lot different?

I got an error at one point, but it went away after I reinstalled VirtualBox Guest Additions.

CHFFriday
April 29th, 2011, 03:38 PM
acambe,
Unity is the new look to Ubuntu 11.04

There is a launcher on the left side of the desktop. If you don't have it let me know.

CHFFriday

acambre
April 29th, 2011, 03:46 PM
Unity is the new look to Ubuntu 11.04

There is a launcher on the left side of the desktop. If you don't have it let me know.I see no launcher.

laurabray
April 29th, 2011, 09:16 PM
I'm having the same issue: Hangs on boot screen after I tried to upgrade from 10.10 to 11.04. I've logged into safemode and failsafe graphics mode. What do I do next?? Can someone write up the entries for uninstalling and re-installing virtual box? I think I know what I need to do, just not sure how to do it! I do know how to get into Terminal. Thanks guys.

Laura

laurabray
April 30th, 2011, 07:22 PM
I reinstalled VirtualBox in package manager... Still hanging on the boot screen.

acambre
April 30th, 2011, 08:31 PM
I reinstalled VirtualBox in package manager... Still hanging on the boot screen.Not sure what that is. I am talking about installing VirtualBox Guest Additions, which is done through one of the VirtualBox menus. (Can't remember the menu offhand--not at the computer with VB installed.) This was for Ubuntu running as a guest (virtualized) OS.