PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] 11.04-installation errors

u-noob-tu
April 28th, 2011, 03:00 PM
After a two hour install, I got to the very end of the "installing new packages" phase of the upgrade, when suddenly a message popped saying the upgrade had been aborted and my system may be unusable. All the upgrade windows closed and I was left looking at my gnome 2 desktop. I restarted because it suggested that I do so, and waited nervously for what may happen. To my relief, I was able to login into unity for the first time, though it took quite awhile to get there. First thing I noticed is I have no wireless driver installed. Secondly, everything seemed to be on the slow side. Programs take some time to launch. Thirdly, next to the unity launcher button, about an inch to the right, are five menus that only appear when moused over. They say file, edit, view, places, and help. Are they supposed to be there? Another thing is that in appearance settings, there is no visual effects tab.
Not sure what happened or why, and I'm concerned something may become unstable and crash everything. What should I do?

dino99
April 28th, 2011, 03:11 PM
reboot in recovery mode and select "repair packages"

u-noob-tu
April 28th, 2011, 03:24 PM
How would I do that? It's been awhile since ive needed to do that. Isn't it "esc" at splash screen?

dino99
April 28th, 2011, 03:31 PM
How would I do that? It's been awhile since ive needed to do that. Isn't it "esc" at splash screen?

to let you seen to grub menu, at end of bios boot process, hold "shift" key down, then select to boot into recovery mode (usually the second line if only one kernel is installed)

u-noob-tu
April 28th, 2011, 03:34 PM
Okay, I remembered it was shift, but it didn't a whole lot, only took about two seconds. Also, the menu bar next to the unity bar is still there. Is it supposed to be?

dino99
April 28th, 2011, 03:38 PM
Okay, I remembered it was shift, but it didn't a whole lot, only took about two seconds. Also, the menu bar next to the unity bar is still there. Is it supposed to be?

select the "classic desktop" while logging into gdm

awam66
April 28th, 2011, 03:46 PM
Thirdly, next to the unity launcher button, about an inch to the right, are five menus that only appear when moused over. They say file, edit, view, places, and help. Are they supposed to be there? Another thing is that in appearance settings, there is no visual effects tab.

This is the new Global Menu and what you are seeing is the Desktop Menu. This will change depending on which window has input focus. HTH

u-noob-tu
April 28th, 2011, 03:47 PM
select the "classic desktop" while logging into gdm
i logged into classic mode, but, what was that supposed to do? also, in the appearance preferences, there is still no effects tab, even though i have compiz and compiz config. do i just need to alt-f2 and run it?

u-noob-tu
April 28th, 2011, 04:01 PM
strangely, i only got compiz to work after installing "ubuntu tweak" and enabling wobbly windows. everytime i change a setting in compiz, i need to logout for it to take affect. also, the task bar becomes distorted when changing a setting, which is another reason to log out. and performance has been getting better over the last half hour (especially application launching). not sure what caused the update to abort, but i guess everything is okay now.