PDA

View Full Version : WTH is going on with the Software Center?

Shmantiv_Radio
April 28th, 2011, 01:37 PM
I try to install Google Chrome, it takes forever to ask for the password, then shows the first part of the install progress bar which then disappears to show the install button again?! 20 minutes later it hasn't installed and USC crashes. This is repeatable and I had to use dpkg in Terminal.
I just tried to install the World of Goo demo and got this.
http://i.imgur.com/UUTfm.png
So I pressed ignore and install and USC crashed AGAIN. So I had to use dpkg again.

This is a clean install of 11.04, and everything else works fine. =/

leviathan8
April 28th, 2011, 01:42 PM
Don't you better install Chromium? :)

Throne777
April 28th, 2011, 01:58 PM
I try to install Google Chrome, it takes forever to ask for the password, then shows the first part of the install progress bar which then disappears to show the install button again?! 20 minutes later it hasn't installed and USC crashes. This is repeatable and I had to use dpkg in Terminal.
I just tried to install the World of Goo demo and got this.
http://i.imgur.com/UUTfm.png
So I pressed ignore and install and USC crashed AGAIN. So I had to use dpkg again.

This is a clean install of 11.04, and everything else works fine. =/

Weird. I used the Software Centre about 10 hours ago to install Shotwell & Conky and that all went fine (OK, so it crashed the first time, but after that :p)

speedwell68
April 28th, 2011, 02:03 PM
I just use Synaptic Package Manager and Gdebi, much simpler in the long run.

Throne777
April 28th, 2011, 02:05 PM
I just use Synaptic Package Manager and Gdebi, much simpler in the long run.

I must admit that I probably still do most of my 'program management' via Synaptic rather than the Software Centre.

Shmantiv_Radio
April 28th, 2011, 02:12 PM
Weird. I used the Software Centre about 10 hours ago to install Shotwell & Conky and that all went fine (OK, so it crashed the first time, but after that :p)

But these are downloaded Deb files, not stuff from the repos.

dh04000
April 28th, 2011, 02:13 PM
1) Install Gdebi
2) In Properties of ANY .deb file, make Gdebi the default application.
3) Profit

Throne777
April 28th, 2011, 02:18 PM
But these are downloaded Deb files, not stuff from the repos.

Oh, my bad.
I don't think I've ever used software centre to deal with .deb packages (come to think of it, I don't think it occurred to me that you could use it for that :p).

Shmantiv_Radio
April 28th, 2011, 02:44 PM
1) Install Gdebi
2) In Properties of ANY .deb file, make Gdebi the default application.
3) Profit

Oh GDebi is still available? Thanks :D

Oh, my bad.
I don't think I've ever used software centre to deal with .deb packages (come to think of it, I don't think it occurred to me that you could use it for that :p).

USC has taken the place of GDebi now.