PDA

View Full Version : Screen flicker in every Ubuntu flavours

Zacinfinite
April 28th, 2011, 06:05 AM
I love ubuntu for its user friendliness and power. But since i got a new pc AMD Athlon64 VIA chipset, Im getting frequent screen flickers every few seconds.

Im C programmer so I needed atl east minimal stable GUI platform with lightweight IDE. Sadly ubuntu wasnt an option.

So i thought of giving other distros a try. But sadly each and every distro flickers on my system(fedora, mint,debian, slackware etc etc etc). I thought its LINUX that denies my Pc.

But Hold on! I found gentoo which was although pain in the as* to install was rock solid on my pc. But having no other options I did it. And to my surprise NO MORE SCREEN FLICKER! Its solid as rock and servers my purpose. Plus, I learnt great deal about kernel hacking along the way.

But I still love ubuntu so im trying to find out the culprit that causes screen flicker. People with similar problems may try gentoo, theres no screen flicker or any problem with it except (installation).

knowledge can be used to fix ubuntu rather than always reporting bugs on launchpad.):P

Zacinfinite
April 28th, 2011, 06:10 AM
Warning For Impatient Gigs:-
Gentoo took me around 10 trial and error sessions extending to 7 days for installation!
So if you are impatient, then you can also try puppy linux that has no screen flicker problems.

puppy is lightweight and servers all average users purpose, but I found it lacking powerful programming applications and IDEs.