PDA

View Full Version : For those that want Gnome 3 in 11.04

wolfen69
April 28th, 2011, 05:54 AM
I heard that installing Gnome 3 on top of Unity will lead to problems. Besides doing a minimal install, here's an idea: Install Gnome 3 on top of Xubuntu 11.04. I've done this twice now, and there are no conflicts between Gnome 3 and XFCE. It installed like a dream, and runs perfect. Just thought I'd throw this out there for those that are going to do a clean install.

I'm still getting used to G3, but overall I'm really happy with it. Those that complain about it affecting productivity, havn't given it enough time. I can now do things faster than in G2. Like anything else new, it takes time to adapt. But anywho......Enjoy whatever you're using.

Lucradia
April 28th, 2011, 07:45 AM
GNOME 3 is not in there anyway. The latest GNOME in 11.04 is 2.32 if I recall. Meaning Canonical knows it won't work with main ubuntu, and thus are delaying it for now.

wolfen69
April 28th, 2011, 07:59 AM
GNOME 3 is not in there anyway. The latest GNOME in 11.04 is 2.32 if I recall. Meaning Canonical knows it won't work with main ubuntu, and thus are delaying it for now.

What do you mean "not in there"? Not in the repos? Of course it's not. But G3 is available via PPA. And very easy to do. G3 works just fine with 11.04. I installed it on top of xubuntu.

NormanFLinux
April 28th, 2011, 08:04 AM
Linux Mint will have GNOME 3 minus the Shell as its desktop environment with the release of LM 11 "Katya". They plan to stay away from Unity for this version.

wolfen69
April 28th, 2011, 08:09 AM
Linux Mint will have GNOME 3 minus the Shell as its desktop environment with the release of LM 11 "Katya". They plan to stay away from Unity for this version.

I think that's a good idea for Mint to stay away from unity for the time being. It's going to be a while before the dust settles, but I think all DE's will have a good fanbase at the end of the day.

But that's the beauty of linux, you can do whatever you want. Just because gnome3 and unity are being released, doesn't mean you are limited. We actually have more choices now than we've ever had before. I love it.

LowSky
April 28th, 2011, 08:20 AM
Im running ubuntu classic. unfortunately no one tested mythtv with unity, because it does work right. the problem is compiz and any program trying to run full screen.

gnome 3 suffers a similar fate unless you use legacy mode whatever its called.

wolfen69
April 28th, 2011, 08:30 AM
Im running ubuntu classic. unfortunately no one tested mythtv with unity, because it does work right. the problem is compiz and any program trying to run full screen.

gnome 3 suffers a similar fate unless you use legacy mode whatever its called.

If I needed MythTV, I would just run MythBuntu and not worry about unity. Unity won't give you more functionality, it is just a desktop environment. A different way to achieve the same thing.

Rubi1200
April 28th, 2011, 08:34 AM
I heard that installing Gnome 3 on top of Unity will lead to problems. Besides doing a minimal install, here's an idea: Install Gnome 3 on top of Xubuntu 11.04. I've done this twice now, and there are no conflicts between Gnome 3 and XFCE. It installed like a dream, and runs perfect. Just thought I'd throw this out there for those that are going to do a clean install.

I'm still getting used to G3, but overall I'm really happy with it. Those that complain about it affecting productivity, havn't given it enough time. I can now do things faster than in G2. Like anything else new, it takes time to adapt. But anywho......Enjoy whatever you're using.

That's actually a very interesting idea and one I may give a try when I have some time.

Thanks for sharing this with us :-)

Luffield
April 28th, 2011, 10:03 AM
Sounds interesting indeed, thanks for sharing.
Did you install Gnome 3 from the PPA?

3Miro
April 28th, 2011, 12:10 PM
Xubuntu does use some Gnome utilities and libraries so theoretically there is a possible conflict with Gnome 3. To be 100% sure, I would go with Kubuntu + Gnome 3.

This is a good idea, we should put it on a sticky or something for people that want to use Gnome 3 + 11.04.

_outlawed_
April 28th, 2011, 12:12 PM
Gnome developers stated on their blog that G3 isn't yet supported for 11.04 and there are still issues with the shell itself for Ubuntu.

I'd suggest using Gnome2 for the time being until Gnome3 can be properly fixed and pushed.

tubunu
April 28th, 2011, 12:22 PM
Can Unity be uninstalled from the default 11.04 and substituted with Gnome 3? What do you think, wise heads? :)

3Miro
April 28th, 2011, 02:01 PM
Can Unity be uninstalled from the default 11.04 and substituted with Gnome 3? What do you think, wise heads? :)

Sure it can, there is an unofficial ppa somewhere, use Google. The problem is that migration from Gnome2 -> Gnome3 isn't always successful and you may end up with a broken system.

BigSilly
April 28th, 2011, 05:28 PM
I'm still getting used to G3, but overall I'm really happy with it. Those that complain about it affecting productivity, havn't given it enough time. I can now do things faster than in G2. Like anything else new, it takes time to adapt.

I completely agree, and I think once its had a bit of time out there in the wilderness, a lot of people who were vocal about disliking at first will likely change their minds. I'm using it on Opensuse 11.4 and I'm thoroughly loving it. It's really very impressive. It's even pretty. I've never thought of Gnome as being pretty before!

From this forum user posted elsewhere on the same subject:

Actually that is wrong. If you do not ship GNOME3 as specified, it is not GNOME3, it is merely using the GNOME3 platform. One of the themes in the 3.x series is establishing a strong identity. Going so far as to moving even font and theme selection into a tweak application rather than an integral part of the desktop. All to ensure that the experience is identifiable as GNOME3 (without naturally actually removing the means of changing it, just install the gnome-tweak-tool package).

As someone who is using Gnome 3 I think I can understand what this means. I cannot imagine how Gnome 3 would work without the "shell". Gnome 3 is the shell. I think if Mint want to keep a Gnome 2 look, then they're going to have to use Gnome 2. There's the Gnome 3 fallback mode, but it's really not the same as a Gnome 2 DE.

Just my tuppence worth. :)

wolfen69
April 28th, 2011, 05:36 PM
Gnome developers stated on their blog that G3 isn't yet supported for 11.04 and there are still issues with the shell itself for Ubuntu.

Really? Then how come I've done 2 installs for myself and a friend of mine with 0 issues? They may be talking about installing it on top of unity, but I can assure you there are no issues if you install it in xubuntu.

wolfen69
April 28th, 2011, 05:42 PM
Xubuntu does use some Gnome utilities and libraries so theoretically there is a possible conflict with Gnome 3. To be 100% sure, I would go with Kubuntu + Gnome 3.

This is a good idea, we should put it on a sticky or something for people that want to use Gnome 3 + 11.04.

Actually, I'm going to try and do a minimal install and gnome 3 that way. It's been a while since I've used the alternate cd, but I can do a min. install with it, right?

cariboo
April 28th, 2011, 05:46 PM
Actually, I'm going to try and do a minimal install and gnome 3 that way. It's been a while since I've used the alternate cd, but I can do a min. install with it, right?

Yes you can, just type cli at the main menu screen.

carld
April 28th, 2011, 07:01 PM
If I want to try this method and I'm now on Ubuntu 10.10 w/ gnome 2.32, it sounds like I should:
1. Install xubuntu-desktop package.
2. Remove all gnome packages (pure XFCE).
3. Upgrade to Xubuntu 11.04.
4. Install gnome 3 ppa.
Right? And I should depend on Xubuntu for future Ubuntu upgrades? Thanks

wolfen69
April 29th, 2011, 06:47 PM
Someone mentioned installing kubuntu first and then install gnome3. NOT! I tried it, and it was a mess. There was a lot of stuff missing in gnome 3 after install. No networking, no this, no that. I wiped it and installed xubuntu, then gnome3 and all is well. And no, there are no issues just because xubuntu includes some gnome2 stuff. It's been a joy to use.

I probably should have done a minimal install, but it doesn't hurt to have a few xfce apps in there.

scouser73
April 29th, 2011, 08:27 PM
I don't want Gnome 3...just saying.

omskates
May 19th, 2011, 05:41 AM
Someone mentioned installing kubuntu first and then install gnome3. NOT! I tried it, and it was a mess. There was a lot of stuff missing in gnome 3 after install. No networking, no this, no that. I wiped it and installed xubuntu, then gnome3 and all is well. And no, there are no issues just because xubuntu includes some gnome2 stuff. It's been a joy to use.

I probably should have done a minimal install, but it doesn't hurt to have a few xfce apps in there.

I was thinking of using Xubuntu as well for Gnome 3 to avoid the conflicts etc. Glad to hear it worked out for you, thanks.