PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Windows Crashed(again), so I'm going to install Ubuntu. Only problem is...

iGolem
April 28th, 2011, 03:58 AM
I don't have a USB drive of any sort, so I can't use a live boot and install it (sadly). And windows crashed so I don't know how to install Ubuntu to replace and delete windows (don't even know how to delete windows....)
Can anyone help me?
I currently have Ubuntu running on an old computer in my dads office, and it works incredibly well, so I'm hoping it will do the same for my laptop :)

sammiev
April 28th, 2011, 04:05 AM
I don't have a USB drive of any sort, so I can't use a live boot and install it (sadly). And windows crashed so I don't know how to install Ubuntu to replace and delete windows (don't even know how to delete windows....)
Can anyone help me?
I currently have Ubuntu running on an old computer in my dads office, and it works incredibly well, so I'm hoping it will do the same for my laptop :)

Welcome, You must a a CD/DVD on your rig. If so download 10.10 or what ever dad is using and boot and enjoy. You can always ask your dad to help with the boot able media if you have problems. Other wise post back for a helping hand. GL :)

ellamas92
April 28th, 2011, 04:05 AM
Did your computer completely crash to where you can't turn it on? What do you get from the computer when you turn it on?
You dont need a live cd and if you do i believe you can get one sent to you free of charge. :p

RJARRRPCGP
April 28th, 2011, 04:08 AM
Are you getting a Windows error on a blue screen?

iGolem
April 28th, 2011, 04:09 AM
Did your computer completely crash to where you can't turn it on? What do you get from the computer when you turn it on?
You dont need a live cd and if you do i believe you can get one sent to you free of charge. :p
I can go into "Safe Mode" but other then that, the BSOD will come and get me. (It sometimes gets me in Safe Mode...)
is there a way to do it in safe mode?
On my Dad's old computer my brother just downloaded it on a partion(sp?) using Windows. Is that possible in Safe Mode?

Are you getting a Windows error on a blue screen?It's creepy how you knew that...

ellamas92
April 28th, 2011, 04:14 AM
You should be able to regardless in safe mode or not. In one of the times that safe mode does not fail you, go and download Ubuntu 10.10 and burn the ISO onto a dvd. Or you can always try and borrow someone elses computer to burn an installation disc for ubuntu :D

RJARRRPCGP
April 28th, 2011, 04:14 AM
the BSOD will come and get me.

It's creepy how you knew that...

Because with Windows 2000 and later, it has diagnostic information.

(0x00000050 points to RAM issues 99 percent of the time.)

(0x0000000A points to a processor error, may be caused by using your PC with bad caps, same with the error codes below.)

(0x0000001E also points to a processor error.)

(0x0000009C is a processor error.)

It's simply a recent Windows equivalent to the "bomb" message on early Macs.

iGolem
April 28th, 2011, 04:20 AM
You should be able to regardless in safe mode or not. In one of the times that safe mode does not fail you, go and download Ubuntu 10.10 and burn the ISO onto a dvd. Or you can always try and borrow someone elses computer to burn an installation disc for ubuntu :D
I'll try it tomorrow...after I investigate

(0x00000050 points to RAM issues 99 percent of the time.)
Either way I'll be a happy camper :)

ellamas92
April 28th, 2011, 04:24 AM
I'll try it tomorrow...after I investigate

Yes investigate. after tomorrow you will not see 10.10 on the ubuntu website. 11.04 (natty) is getting
released

iGolem
April 28th, 2011, 04:35 AM
Yes investigate. after tomorrow you will not see 10.10 on the ubuntu website. 11.04 (natty) is getting
released
Really?
Weird xD
Windows Crashes and ubuntu comes to the rescue!

ellamas92
April 28th, 2011, 04:37 AM
Really?
Weird xD
Windows Crashes and ubuntu comes to the rescue!
Trust me, Ubuntu sure does rescue. I'm a new ubuntu user, my windows crashed as well a few days ago, and i can tell you that in my opinion, Ubuntu is so much better. :D

paulm23
April 28th, 2011, 08:51 AM
The other thing I would recommend is that you run the memcheck utility from the install media. Your Windows troubles maybe coming from faulty hardware.

Paul.