PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] Regular updates vs dist upgrade?

thoughts
April 28th, 2011, 03:32 AM
I have a system running Ubuntu that hasn't been updated in a few weeks, and now has a hundred-some updates pending. Is there any benefit to installing all those updates now, rather than just waiting a day or two and then doing the full update to v11.04?

Thanks,

--
Anthony DiSante

Bucky Ball
April 28th, 2011, 03:38 AM
What release are you currently running? If you are running 11.04 already an update will basically give you the release version anyhow.

If you are running 10.04 LTS and want stability, I wouldn't bother with the upgrade to 11.04 at all, but that is just me.

thoughts
April 28th, 2011, 03:51 AM
I'm running 10.10, and I definitely plan to update to 11.04. My question is, is there any reason to bother with installing these 100+ updates now, in order to get them installed before doing the update to 11.04? It would be easier for me to just wait a day or two and then do the 11.04 update, which will (I assume) automatically install all these older updates first anyway.

--
Anthony DiSante

wilee-nilee
April 28th, 2011, 04:00 AM
I'm running 10.10, and I definitely plan to update to 11.04. My question is, is there any reason to bother with installing these 100+ updates now, in order to get them installed before doing the update to 11.04? It would be easier for me to just wait a day or two and then do the 11.04 update, which will (I assume) automatically install all these older updates first anyway.

--
Anthony DiSante

YES, you always make sure your OS is updated completely before upgrading to the next distro. Also you might make sure you're completely backed up, personally I keep an image of all the installs; a clone in case something happens I can't fix.

thoughts
April 28th, 2011, 06:14 AM
YES, you always make sure your OS is updated completely before upgrading to the next distro.

So you're saying that the dist upgrade process does not start by first installing any previous updates that are available for the system?

--
Anthony DiSante