PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Disable Power management daemon

cccc
April 27th, 2011, 11:08 PM
hi

I have Lucid Lynx with Gnome and Kernel 2.6.32 installed.
Which probelms can I get if I disable Power Manager (Power management daemon) from the startup?

BTW does
xset -dpms s offdo the same thing like disable Power Manager in the Starup Applications or DPMS is just for the Monitor?

Buntumatic
April 27th, 2011, 11:14 PM
xset -dpms off will disable monitor sleep, useful if you watch video and do not want the screen blacked out.

Yellow Pasque
April 28th, 2011, 03:42 AM
Some people have reported long logout times from Gnome when not running the power daemon. If you're not using a laptop, then I suggest just disabling it in the Startup Applications and seeing what happens. Monitor your CPU temp and frequency. If it's not downclocking at idle, control it with cpufrequtils.

I prefer the xfce power manager, which you can use with gnome.

Copper Bezel
April 28th, 2011, 04:28 AM
Ditto - I'm using primarily Gnome services, but the power manager fails to launch sometimes and has caused me some other annoyances, so I've been using XFCE's without a hangup. Its menu behavior is annoying and it doesn't do battery health statistics, but I like that it appears in the Notification Area instead of the Indicator Area. (Terribly annoying to see my battery icon sitting in between my indicators for Tomboy and Dropbox.)

flyingAnt
April 28th, 2011, 09:29 AM
Come in study:p