PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Upsidedown Desktop

klausner
April 27th, 2011, 10:17 PM
Help! My lucid desktop has suddenly started coming up upside down, flipped 180 degrees vertically. How can I get back to normal?
http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g13/tanuki-kage/Emoticons/panic.gif

inobe
April 27th, 2011, 10:50 PM
go to system> preferences> monitors.

change the rotation.

klausner
April 28th, 2011, 02:08 AM
go to system> preferences> monitors.

change the rotation.

Good idea, Unfortunately, it doesn't help. Still upside down :(

ibbill
April 28th, 2011, 03:45 AM
you may want to give this a try also.

Try using the keyboard combination, "Control + Alt + Up Arrow Key". Control + Alt along with one of the arrow keys is a fairly common rotation hot-key configuration and may just do the trick.

Copper Bezel
April 28th, 2011, 03:48 AM
Not on Gnome. Coincidentally, that works on my machine, but not by default. = )

Try running
xrandr -o normal and, for the hell of it,
xrandr -o inverted

klausner
April 28th, 2011, 04:18 AM
Not on Gnome. Coincidentally, that works on my machine, but not by default. = )

Try running
xrandr -o normal and, for the hell of it,
xrandr -o inverted

Tried
xrandr -o normal based on another thread. No results.

klausner
April 28th, 2011, 07:14 AM
\and, for the hell of it,
xrandr -o inverted

Close!!! xrandr -o inverted gets the desktop right-side up. Unfortunately, everything is then backwards, including all text. Now that I have had a chance to read man xrandr without needing a mirror, I need to try xrandr -x next.

Edit: Tried -x, and it did indeed "reverse" the text back to normal. But the menu bars are still on the wrong side of the screen, the mouse works backwards in vertical movements, and worst of all the places where you need to click on things are not where the display shows them (they are in the original, screwed up positions).

Gah!! could my X config be screwed? How do I straighten this out, short of another re-install?

Krytarik
April 28th, 2011, 07:23 AM
Although that all obviously doesn't fix the original issue, how about that then?:

xrandr --output OUTPUT --rotate invertedYeah, I know that you tried apparently the same before through the GUI.

Note: It's kinda fishing in the dark when I suggest those commands, because most 'xrandr' commands don't work at all with my proprietary Nvidia driver.

bodyguard
April 28th, 2011, 07:35 AM
Isn't it simpler just to turn your monitor upside-down?

Krytarik
April 28th, 2011, 07:41 AM
:popcorn::D

Especially not if you are using a CRT, with some if not most LCDs you may have your difficulties, too.

Krytarik
April 28th, 2011, 07:47 AM
I just yet noticed your edit. It seems like we actually have to solve this the usual way now, by finding the cause and fixing it. ;-)

What version of Ubuntu are you running?
What video card/chip do you have?
What driver are you running?
How did you install those?

klausner
April 28th, 2011, 09:51 PM

Hard to do with a laptop. Also, the display is upside-down AND reversed.

Copper Bezel
April 28th, 2011, 10:46 PM
The sarcasm is appreciated, but about that chipset? = ) Also,

Edit: Tried -x, and it did indeed "reverse" the text back to normal. But the menu bars are still on the wrong side of the screen, the mouse works backwards in vertical movements, and worst of all the places where you need to click on things are not where the display shows them (they are in the original, screwed up positions).

Gah!! could my X config be screwed? How do I straighten this out, short of another re-install?

How did the mouse move originally? Were the axes consistent with those of the display despite the flipped vertical axis of the display itself?

Edit:
Now that I have had a chance to read man xrandr without needing a mirror,

Still cracking up at this one. = )

klausner
April 28th, 2011, 11:45 PM
How did the mouse move originally? Were the axes consistent with those of the display despite the flipped vertical axis of the display itself?

Mouse movements were normal, although the click-points (for lack of a better term) were not where displayed.

s_aldinger
April 29th, 2011, 09:52 PM
This happened to me after I upgraded from 10.10 to 11.
I've got a ATI HD 3400 on my workstation.

I had to change my driver to fbdev and disable the "desktop effects" in KDE so I could load the radeon drivers without this issue.

Then after changing the driver back to radeon, I noticed my vmware workstation was crashing on startup of the vmguest. looking into this error pointed to a graphics issue.
Since I compile all my own kernels and I was still using my old one, I knew the problem must be with the xserver.

So I loaded up glxinfo and discovered that xorg was using the nvidia glx drivers! There was my problem! During the upgrade it installed all the nvidia drivers onto my system. Removing them has since fixed all the issues.

klausner
April 30th, 2011, 02:14 AM
This happened to me after I upgraded from 10.10 to 11.
I've got a ATI HD 3400 on my workstation.

I had to change my driver to fbdev and disable the "desktop effects" in KDE so I could load the radeon drivers without this issue.

Then after changing the driver back to radeon, I noticed my vmware workstation was crashing on startup of the vmguest. looking into this error pointed to a graphics issue.
Since I compile all my own kernels and I was still using my old one, I knew the problem must be with the xserver.

So I loaded up glxinfo and discovered that xorg was using the nvidia glx drivers! There was my problem! During the upgrade it installed all the nvidia drivers onto my system. Removing them has since fixed all the issues.

I've got an nVidia Card and the built in Intel graphics. nVidia drivers have been nothing but trouble. I suspected that xorg might be the culprit somehow.

Krytarik
April 30th, 2011, 02:28 AM
I've got an nVidia Card and the built in Intel graphics.
Ok, that's a start then. My questions in post #11 are still standing, if you want me, or anyone else, to be able to help solving this.

klausner
April 30th, 2011, 02:31 AM
Too late for me. I couldn't put up with the unusable system, and reinstalled.

Krytarik
April 30th, 2011, 02:34 AM
I couldn't put up with the unusable system, and reinstalled.
And the issue apparently didn't re-occur there. Ok.

klausner
April 30th, 2011, 02:38 AM
And the issue apparently didn't re-occur there. Ok.

Different issues. If I could afford a new system, I'd dump nVidia in a heartbeat,

Krytarik
April 30th, 2011, 03:12 AM
I'd dump nVidia in a heartbeat,
But not for the sake of AMD, since it turned out that they are supporting their cards/chips with the proprietary driver only some few years. Although it isn't that good anyway. But because of the ceased support the open source drivers (OSED) are getting developed even faster than the open source driver for Nvidia cards/chips (Nouveau), they are now even included by the just released Natty 11.04.

For example, my Nvidia card is some 10 years old, and is still supported by the proprietary driver, while the ATI card in my mom's machine is some 5 years old, and after uprading from 7.10 to 10.04 she can only use the still-in-development OSED.

Or are you thinking about an Intel onboard chip?