PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] How to add jar file to PATH?

arcull
April 27th, 2011, 08:08 PM
Hi guys. I've build a jar file in java, which I can execute in terminal like this:
java -jar /path/to/jarfile/test.jarSince I plan to use this jar frequently I thought I could maybe add it to path, so that I wouldn't have to type the absolute path to jar every time I want execute it. On ubuntu 10.10 I tried to edit the .profile file in my home directory and tried to add the following lines, one at a time:
export PATH=$PATH:/path/to/jar/dist
export CLASSPATH=$CLASSPATH:/path/to/jar/dist/test.jar
export PATH=$PATH:/path/to/jar/dist/test.jar I did logout login and tried the following from the terminal, but unfortunately no go, it says it can access the jar file :(
java -jar test.jar I need some good advice, thanx in advance.

ankspo71
April 28th, 2011, 01:53 AM
Hi,
You didn't mention ".bashrc" or ".profile", so I think the reason why setting the path didn't work after you logged back in is because PATH has to be exported on every startup (or PATH can be set in the system directories for all users).
Edit: I see you did mention .profile... I missed that part.

To check on your system's currently assigned paths, you can run the following command

echo $PATH

If you would like to set the path for only you, then you can add the following line to bottom of the hidden .bashrc file inside your home folder.

export PATH=$PATH:/path/to/jar/dist

Save the file, then log out then log back in, and then it should be working correctly.

Before:

echo $PATH
/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/bin:/usr/games

After:

echo $PATH
/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/bin:/usr/games:/path/to/jar/dist
Note that this may not work if sudo is required to run the application.

-----

Other files:
The hidden ".profile" file located inside your home directory can be modified too.

Path can be set for all users at /etc/environment

gksudo gedit /etc/environment
((Be extra careful when editing system files))

Hope this helps.

arcull
April 28th, 2011, 07:53 AM
Thanks man, will give it a try and report back :)

arcull
April 28th, 2011, 03:18 PM
Still no luck, but some progress made. As suggested, I added
export PATH=$PATH:/path/to/jar/dist in the .bashrc in my home folder. Then I wrote a simple script like this:
#!/bin/bash
echo "Today is $(date)" and put in the same directory where my jar file sits. Now I can run the sample script from what ever directory I like, which means PATH is now correct set. However it doesn't work with java jar files, if I do
java -jar test.jar it still says it can't access the jar file. Is there any way of making my jar visible from terminal. Much thanks again for your help.

imigueldiaz
April 28th, 2011, 03:28 PM
Still no luck, but some progress made. As suggested, I added
export PATH=$PATH:/path/to/jar/dist in the .bashrc in my home folder. Then I wrote a simple script like this:
#!/bin/bash
echo "Today is $(date)" and put in the same directory where my jar file sits. Now I can run the sample script from what ever directory I like, which means PATH is now correct set. However it doesn't work with java jar files, if I do
java -jar test.jar it still says it can't access the jar file. Is there any way of making my jar visible from terminal. Much thanks again for your help.

I suppose you can export a variable like MYJAR on your .bashrc and then use it on console, e.g

On .bashrc

export MYJAR=/path/to/jar/dist

open a new terminal (to re-read .bashrc) and test

java -jar $MYJAR

Yo can even write $M [tab] and bash should autocomplete the variable.

Hope it helps :)

EDIT

I suppose you can add execution permission to the jar file ( chmod u+x /path/to/jar/dist ) and if /path/to/jar is on PATH it should appear on autocompletion possibilities

arcull
April 28th, 2011, 03:53 PM
I suppose you can export a variable like MYJAR on your .bashrc and then use it on console, e.g

On .bashrc

Code:
export MYJAR=/path/to/jar/dist
open a new terminal (to re-read .bashrc) and test

Code:
java -jar $MYJAR

Yo can even write $M [tab] and bash should autocomplete the variable. imigueldiaz thanks for your solution, I am happy now :)

imigueldiaz
April 28th, 2011, 03:58 PM
imigueldiaz thanks for your solution, I am happy now :)
You are welcome :D