PDA

View Full Version : User logins LXDE

Zaytuun
April 27th, 2011, 05:13 PM
I've just installed lubuntu onto my desktop and I'm loving it so far with one exception:

The login screen. You have to manually type in the username for the user you wish to login as. Is there a way to set up the login so it lists the users for you, so you can just click the user and type in the password like regular old GNOME Ubuntu? I've searched but found nothing.

Thanks in advance!

cavalier911
April 27th, 2011, 08:47 PM
Lubuntu's lxdm has no user list feature.
I consider it a security vulnerability and always disable it in Ubuntu's gdm.
Let them figure out the username and password, not just the password.

Zaytuun
April 27th, 2011, 09:41 PM
Lubuntu's lxdm has no user list feature.
I consider it a security vulnerability and always disable it in Ubuntu's gdm.
Let them figure out the username and password, not just the password.

I see your point, but I find it a bit inconvenient and I am used to Gnome's login manager. Hopefully whenever a new version of LXDM comes out it'll have a user list feature. Thanks for the info.

Copper Bezel
April 27th, 2011, 10:19 PM
Couldn't you just install gdm and launch from there? It wouldn't require installing Gnome. Hell, it's the default login screen for XFCE and Xubuntu in Ubuntu, despite the fact that there's an xfdm, too.

Zaytuun
April 28th, 2011, 02:03 AM
Couldn't you just install gdm and launch from there? It wouldn't require installing Gnome. Hell, it's the default login screen for XFCE and Xubuntu in Ubuntu, despite the fact that there's an xfdm, too.

Can anyone second this? Sample space of two please lol.

carolinason
September 10th, 2011, 02:07 AM
i agree, it is not a security issue here and i would rather not install gdm.

kerry_s
September 10th, 2011, 02:40 AM
Can anyone second this? Sample space of two please lol.

Yes, you can install gdm. It will ask which you want to use, select gdm

carolinason
September 12th, 2011, 01:01 PM
lxdm does have a user list feature. however, there is a bug in the current version. this link describes how to edit the lxdm conf file to enable the user list. when i checked mine it was already configured for the user list, but it is not showing due to the bug.

http://askubuntu.com/questions/39613/how-to-enable-user-list-in-lxdm-login-manager

synaptic wanted to install several sound server packages along with gdm, so i didn't install it.

bug is here https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/lubuntu-artwork/+bug/666590

amjjawad
September 22nd, 2011, 10:55 PM
i would rather not install gdm.

Ditto.

lat00
June 26th, 2012, 12:36 AM
Does anyone followed up this issue?
The bug page looks like died.
I would like to have the user chooser! Unfortunately not good enough to recompile the code by myself. any help?