PDA

View Full Version : Most active developers: LibreOffice or OOO??

Johnsie
April 27th, 2011, 12:28 PM
I'm trying to decide which version to continue to use or install on peoples computers. Which version of Open Office has the most active developers at the moment?

Primefalcon
April 27th, 2011, 12:32 PM
LO actually is ahead at this point and it will only get more so! Sine Google and everyone else have thrown their support behind LO, IMO I think OOo is dead in the water now thanks to Oracle

marl30
April 27th, 2011, 12:49 PM
LO actually is ahead at this point and it will only get more so! Sine Google and everyone else have thrown their support behind LO, IMO I think OOo is dead in the water now thanks to Oracle
They both have 3.4 beta out, so OOo is no where dead.

samalex
April 27th, 2011, 04:20 PM
Given I've used OOo for so long I'll keep my faith behind them, especially now that Larry Ellison's grubby hands are no longer on it. I think so many people flocked to LO because of the Oracle acquisition of Sun, but with the recent change of events I'm betting people will slowly move back to OOo.

BrokenKingpin
April 27th, 2011, 04:37 PM
LO, most major distributions have already switched to it. OO has lost their chance.

samalex
April 27th, 2011, 06:41 PM
LO, most major distributions have already switched to it. OO has lost their chance.

But OO has at least some notice behind it's name since many people in the industry, even if they don't use it, have at least heard of OOo.

I still think LibreOffice and OpenOffice need to merge.

Primefalcon
April 27th, 2011, 06:46 PM
OOo get some support behind it by a small community, but the corps like red hat, canonical, Google and such have embraced LO.

Give it a year and OOo will be completely dead, Why merge LO has everything OOo has and more now!

aguafina
April 27th, 2011, 07:19 PM
All the main and experienced devs have moved away from OOo and over to LO, times change apps die and people move on, at least most do

kaldor
April 27th, 2011, 08:49 PM
For everyone saying OO.o is just as active and useful as LO; it isn't.

Apart from the dorky name, LibreOffice does have some changes. LibreOffice has better OpenXML (MS Office .docx, pptx, etc) and WordPerfect (wpd, etc) support than OpenOffice, and I believe OpenOffice will not be addding any of that.

So right now, LibreOffice is better. Not much of a difference, but it matters to some people. OpenOffice is still a better name, though.

Primefalcon
April 27th, 2011, 09:47 PM
Lo can also directly save as to docx format creating a file.... also when I used OOo it couldn't open pdf files, LO can

earthpigg
April 27th, 2011, 10:59 PM
LO is ahead in the short term, but I believe all of its features and more will be included into OO.o in the long run.

Possibly culminating with the death of the LO project as a separate entity -- why do Go-OO and LO need to exist when Sun/Oracle employees will no longer be rejecting patches that add functionality that competes with the Enterprise office solution offered by Sun/Oracle? May as well merge them all into one project, and use the name with the greatest brand recognition - OpenOffice.org.

I suspect the folks at OO.o and LO/DocumentFoundation and Go-OO will come to the same conclusion.

So, I'd go with OO.o for long-term deployments and LO if the primary use is short term solution to this frequent dillemma: "I need to open this MS Word document that is from a version of MS Office newer than the one I have installed on this computer".

Currently, and to muddy the issue even more, most of us do not have OO.o installed - we've had Go-oo installed by default on Ubuntu for the last several releases.

earthpigg
April 27th, 2011, 11:05 PM
Here are the stated goals (http://www.documentfoundation.org/) of The Document Foundation, the folks behind LO:

It is an independent self-governing meritocratic Foundation, created by leading members of the OpenOffice.org Community.
It continues to build on the foundation of ten years' dedicated work by the OpenOffice.org Community.
It was created in the belief that the culture born of an independent Foundation brings out the best in contributors and will deliver the best software for users.
It is open to any individual who agrees with our core values and contributes to our activities.
It welcomes corporate participation, e.g. by sponsoring individuals to work as equals alongside other contributors in the community.

With OO.o having been cast off by Oracle and with OO.o already having the greatest brand-name recognition, all of these goals can be accomplished by shifting focus on OO.o itself after merging the LO branch back into the OO.o trunk from whence it came.

Johnsie
April 27th, 2011, 11:07 PM
I think my simple question has been answered. All I wanted was to know which fork had the most developers attached to it. Anything else is just opinion. Thanks guys.

krapp
April 27th, 2011, 11:18 PM
Apart from the dorky name . . .

As opposed to OpenOffice.org? For a non-techie the hate against "Libre" is bizarre. I'm not sure anymore if its just anglocentrism.

aguafina
April 27th, 2011, 11:21 PM
As opposed to OpenOffice.org? For a non-techie the hate against "Libre" is bizarre. I'm not sure anymore if its just anglocentrism.

What?

krapp
April 27th, 2011, 11:25 PM
So that's how you have me reexplain what I am saying? :roll:

aguafina
April 27th, 2011, 11:28 PM
So that's how you have me reexplain what I am saying? :roll:

I did'nt understand the anglo part, what has OO.o got to do with England?

just asking.

user1397
April 27th, 2011, 11:32 PM

agreed. anything is better than to have the official name carry a .org at the end

krapp
April 27th, 2011, 11:40 PM
I did'nt understand the anglo part, what has OO.o got to do with England?

just asking.

Dictionary?

Anglocentrism is the shortest, most compact way to refer to the "tendency to regard English culture, society, or language as pre-eminent."

All the comments I have seen criticizing the new name have been written in English. Many of them protest the supposed French-ness of "libre," which is only half true. This is a type of chauvinism and its called anglocentrism, and its emergence here I, not a techie myself (my dorkiness consists in other dorkier things), find to be very bizarre.

aguafina
April 27th, 2011, 11:46 PM
Dictionary?

Anglocentrism is the shortest, most compact way to refer to the "tendency to regard English culture, society, or language as pre-eminent."

All the comments I have seen criticizing the new name have been written in English. Many of them protest the supposed French-ness of "libre," which is only half true. This is a type of chauvinism and its called anglocentrism, and its emergence here I, not a techie myself (my dorkiness consists in other dorkier things), find to be very bizarre.

:) Anglocentrism is most commonly related to everything about England and its peoples. it's not really accurate to label other people of other nationality as this even though they speak English. :|

beew
April 27th, 2011, 11:51 PM
They probably would join again shortly, there is no sense not to now that Oracle is out of the way.

krapp
April 27th, 2011, 11:52 PM
:) Anglocentrism is most commonly related to everything about England and its peoples. it's not really accurate to label other people of other nationality as this even though they speak English. :|

LOL. That's the word.

Let's try something else . . . . The USA is an anglophone country linguistically and culturally. Anything inaccurate about that?

aguafina
April 28th, 2011, 12:17 AM
LOL. That's the word.

Let's try something else . . . . The USA is an anglophone country linguistically and culturally. Anything inaccurate about that?

I agree with that, so is Australia.

When I was a member of politicalcrossfire forum there were many British/English persons there and this topic came up and lots of them were offended when someone labeled himself as Anglo and clearly he was'nt English and I could see the point the British were making.

Many in the U.S I would class as Eurocentric as it has mush bigger ancestry from Germany so just speaking the English is really not enough.

krapp
April 28th, 2011, 12:30 AM
I agree with that, so is Australia.

When I was a member of politicalcrossfire forum there were many British/English persons there and this topic came up and lots of them were offended when someone labeled himself as Anglo and clearly he was'nt English and I could see the point the British were making.

It's still the only useful and appropriate word. Tell your English friends they have a problem if they don't know how to reconcile non-English ancestry with English national identity. They don't negate each other. North Americans learned how to do that long, long ago.

Many in the U.S I would class as Eurocentric as it has mush bigger ancestry from Germany so just speaking the English is really not enough.

Speaking as a US citizen, born and raised, this country's ties to Englishness, spread as thinly as it may be, run much deeper than language. Politics, philosophy, economy, taste, decorum, etc. are all much more immediately English than anything else (aside from American, of course). And yes, the US promotes a Eurocentric worldview insofar as it is first Anglophone. But that simplifies matters immensely.

Anyway, to return to the thread topic somewhat, the resistance to "Libre" is to an extent an ugly cultural hurdle the FLOSS community needs to overcome in order to compete with Microsoft on the global market. There may be somewhat else to it, but as is I find it very strange.

grahammechanical
April 28th, 2011, 12:47 AM
Aren't you guys and girls forgetting something? Us English have a long tradition of taking other people's words and making them part of the English language. We also have habit of messing around with the pronunciation so much that you would not know the word was not English. We even spell Centre and fibre the same way as libre. I will be using LibreOffice when I upgrade to 11.04 and I do not object to the Frenchness of part of the name. After all I am using an operating system that is named after an African word.

I think that some people need to get a sense of humour and laugh at themselves.

Regards.

krapp
April 28th, 2011, 12:57 AM
Aren't you guys and girls forgetting something? Us English have a long tradition of taking other people's words and making them part of the English language. We also have habit of messing around with the pronunciation so much that you would not know the word was not English. We even spell Centre and fibre the same way as libre. I will be using LibreOffice when I upgrade to 11.04 and I do not object to the Frenchness of part of the name. After all I am using an operating system that is named after an African word.

Exactly!

I'm aghast at how little most English speakers know about the English language. Ever look at Old English? Guess where we English speakers would be without the Norman invasion?--speaking Saxon.

English has least strict lexicon in the world, and "libre" is in the Oxford English Dictionary.

scouser73
April 28th, 2011, 01:30 AM
I say LibreOffice.