PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Will Natty Beta upgrade to the stable version being released tomorrow

mpranav007
April 27th, 2011, 10:57 AM
I am currently using the Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal Beta Version..Ubuntu 11.04 Official stable version is releasing tomorrow..should I need to reinstall it or will my Beta version automatically upgrade to the official release version??

babanner
April 27th, 2011, 10:59 AM
I don't think it's necessary to reinstall your OS, not if you ran into problems with the current version. The system should automatically update to the newer version.

howefield
April 27th, 2011, 10:59 AM
You won't need to reinstall unless you want to.

Just keep updating as normal, if you are currently up to date, you most likely have the finished article already.

Bucky Ball
April 27th, 2011, 11:04 AM
Stable version released tomorrow? LOL. Good luck with that. Give it six months (or possibly 12).

A rolling release, in theory, is never really going to be stable. If you want stable stick to the LTS releases (long term support releases) which is where the good work, tweaking and bug fixing of the rolling releases eventually ends up. ;)

stevedude
April 28th, 2011, 01:47 PM
Natty "should" update is the operative word here. I DL'd the latest BETA version a week ago and I am unable to upgrade to the final stable release. SUDO APTITUDE UPDATE && SUDO APTITUDE UPGRADE did not work. Update manager with "Normal Releases" enabled is not working. I also tried the Ubuntu website upgrade instructions of SUDO APTITUDE INSTALL UPDATE-MANAGER-CORE && SUDO DO-RELEASE-UPGRADE -d to no avail.

Any suggestions on how to get this to work so I don't lose all of my data?

DougieFresh4U
April 28th, 2011, 01:57 PM
Not being a 'party pooper' but I just love how every single release for the past 3 or 4 years this question pops up: I have beta etc. etc. if I update will I have final or do I need to reinstall. :-s
I'm quite sure there will be numerous threads asking.

Coreigh
April 28th, 2011, 02:11 PM
One reason, Dougie', that this question comes up every time a new "version" is released is that the number of people trying Ubuntu and trying the BETA versions is growing. There will always be many newbies.

mörgæs
April 28th, 2011, 02:12 PM
Another reason is that some people do not bother searching before posting. Even a newbie could do that.