PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Upgrading without cd burn?

MikeR.
April 26th, 2011, 08:33 PM
Hi all,

I have been using ubuntu for about a couple of weeks and have been very happy with how well it runs on my laptop :) I've noticed ubuntu 11.0 will be out really soon now and I was wondering if there was anyway to update/upgrade my current ubuntu(10.10) to it without a cd burn as I do not have many. Also if things dont work in ubuntu 11.0 and want to go back to 10.10 without deleting stuff, how would i go about that? can I upgrade without deleting my files?

mörgæs
April 27th, 2011, 02:11 AM
The name is 11.04, referring to year 2011 and month 4.

If you want to upgrade, best is first of all to wait a couple of months. After that you could burn a live CD to check that 11.04 works well on your machine.

If something goes wrong, you will need a new install. It is not possible to downgrade.

By the way, if 10.10 is working, why don't you carry on with this one?

MikeR.
April 27th, 2011, 02:15 AM
The name is 11.04, referring to year 2011 and month 4.

If you want to upgrade, best is first of all to wait a couple of months. After that you could burn a live CD to check that 11.04 works well on your machine.

If something goes wrong, you will need a new install. It is not possible to downgrade.

curiousity :) lol see which distro runs better on my laptop, On a side note I am trying to setup my friends desktop with ubuntu 10.04 but it has 512MB RAM. Do you know if it will run ok on that? the os on it right now is not fun (Windows 2000) and has been running for about a year so it pulled a windows and slowed down -.-;

Bucky Ball
April 27th, 2011, 02:16 AM

+1. Latest is not always the greatest and you could be heading for a world of pain by attempting to install 11.04. Rolling release, not stable.

If you're looking for a learning curve (steep) go for it! I would install 11.04 on it's own partition if you want to play and try and fix bugs. That way you can boot into either, one (reasonably) stable and the other not. ;)

mörgæs
April 27th, 2011, 02:19 AM
Yes, 512 is all right for Ubuntu, but it will not be lightning fast. You might get the best results using the alternate CD found at
www.releases.ubuntu.com

Remember to have wired internet access while installing.

Windows 2000 has been unsupported for several years, so I can almost promise you a virus there...

MikeR.
April 27th, 2011, 02:23 AM
cool thanks so much :D Im liking ubuntu Alot and especially the forums, people actually help you without having to pull your wallet out

mörgæs
April 27th, 2011, 02:25 AM
This is just 'Ubuntu'. Maybe some day you will be the one answering questions here... :-)