PDA

View Full Version : [other] ICT room in school

barbolanero
April 26th, 2011, 07:39 PM
Hi everyone, I've begun working for a school in Uruguay and they let me in charge of the ICT room. Or at least that's what they call a room with a bunch of old computers, most of them patched together from whatever pieces available.
Some of those computers are using Windows XP, some are using openSuse 10.3 (with KDE 3.5).

Most of them have this proccesor which I've never seen before:

VIA Samuel 2 796.09 Mhz

Most of them have about 360 Gb Ram. And most of them a 40 Gb hard drive.

There are two exceptions:

One with an Intel Celeron CPU 2.66 Ghz, 448 Mb Ram, and a 75 gb harddrive. And an Intel Pentium 4 CPU 1300 Mhz (1,30 Ghz), 768 Mb ram ad a 20 Gb harddrive.

The School Board swares they are already using Ubuntu, but having seen this have asked me to install it. I've gone over the minimum system requirements and really don't think I can install Ubuntu on these "machines". What do you think I should do?. Would Xubuntu install well on those computers? Or should I try an alternate installation of ubuntu? Is there any other linux distro that could help me out here? I know about pupy and damn small, but I don't know if I can install them and whatever option I go for it must be something I can install. Any ideas are welcome.