PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Is ubuntu a conspiracy?

PetrFrish
April 26th, 2011, 04:37 PM
Is Ubuntu a project to discredit Linux a FOSS and to drive users to MS windows?

Secretly finnanced by MS perhaps??

It used to be that MS gave yoy blue screen of death, often, and linux just worked.

It was reliable.

Now, with each upgrade you install, you just wait to see what stopped working.

With Mercat the sound stopped working. OK - who needs sound.

BIT now. I have (on the other machine) Ubuntu 10.04 LTS
- the Lucid Lynx - released in April 2010 and supported until April 2013.

In Seamonkey browser
Build identifier: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.9.1.16) Gecko/20101206 SeaMonkey/2.0.11

it slowly developped this behaviour: It just hangs up.

Not just browser. THE WHOLE FRIGGING MACHINE just freezes.

I have to reboot.

This is 21st century!! This was linux.

I AM TOTALLY DISGUSTED.

I would file a bug report, but it does not look like anyone is listening.

Should I go and buy Vista, or what?

Please advise.

collisionystm
April 26th, 2011, 04:41 PM

It used to be that MS gave yoy blue screen of death, often, and linux just worked.

It was reliable.

In Seamonkey browser
Build identifier: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.9.1.16) Gecko/20101206 SeaMonkey/2.0.11

I have to reboot.

I AM TOTALLY DISGUSTED.

Please advise.

Windows 7 has better Driver Support than Vista. Just FYI

realzippy
April 26th, 2011, 04:48 PM

It was reliable.

In Seamonkey browser

I have to reboot.

I AM TOTALLY DISGUSTED.

Please advise.

Well,since you are a member for 2 years I guess you know how to
open a thread,describing your problem and give information about your system?
This ranting threat is not made to get help, seriously..

Dragonbite
April 26th, 2011, 04:55 PM
Did you open a thread when Meercat's sound stopped, or which threads did you look through so maybe somebody can recommend another one?

Does the machine hang up with Firefox, or some other browser? Did you try to get help from Mozilla?

If you still feel this way when you calm down, then "yes". No sense wasting your time if you are not enjoying your computing experience.

Lateralis
April 26th, 2011, 05:03 PM
If you wish to use MS then go for it. There are countless people - myself included - that have few or no issues with Ubuntu (and Linux more generally) and I daresay you'll not be greatly missed.

If, however, you actually seek help with your problems then you might have to be more forthcoming than simply shouting at the people who might help. Or threaten an action that will generate a reply of "see if we care" from most people on this board.

So, if you do want help, you'll need to be much more specific.

0) Upgrading Ubuntu from one version to the next is not entirely foolproof. Sometimes there are problems, conflicts. This is sadly unavoidable, despite the very best efforts of people kind enough to give their time to develop Ubuntu. In truth, I've never had any issues upgrading (except, seem number 1 below) but I know many people who have, mostly through their own carelessness.

1) Sound issues. I had some sound issues on an upgrade to and fresh install of 10.10 on a Fujitsu laptop using an Intel sound card. My problem was that no sound would come from the inbuilt speakers, but headphones and speakers worked fine. (For the record, nothing was turned off in any settings... I looked, extensively.) I believe other people have also had issues with Intel sound chips with this version of Ubuntu. I don't know if the problem has been rectified now or not. I almost certainly believe there are workarounds out there, though.

2) There are myriad reasons as to why a computer may start to go squiffy. The number of reasons increases with laptops. You will need to be much more descriptive of the problem. How long are you on the laptop before it freezes? Does one thing freeze first, then something else before the whole computer locks up? Are there tell tale signs? Can the state of freezing be induced, or is it random, or time dependent? Also provide some specifications of the hardware. Is it an old laptop? Relatively new? What motherboard, hard drive, graphics card?

3) As said, if you want a serious reply, be serious. Hot-headed replies normally get you nowhere, but I was feeling vaguely generous. If, however, after this you are still feeling un-necessarily frustrated, then I'd like to say something about this:

This is 21st century!!

Yes, you're right. It is the 21st century. Be thankful you even have such objects as computers, the internet and other wonderful, near magical instruments for our pleasure and delight. Just a couple of hundred years ago you would have slept on the floor, the smell of excrement filling the air, eating what little, low quality food you could scrape together. In fact, this is the reality in other parts of the world today. So don't be so churlish and ungrateful to live in the comparative luxury you do. ;)

tgm4883
April 26th, 2011, 05:03 PM

It was reliable.

In Seamonkey browser

I have to reboot.

I AM TOTALLY DISGUSTED.

Please advise.

Nobody is listening if you don't tell them (hint: file a bug report). If you feel you need to buy Vista, then yes, go buy Vista.

Rasa1111
April 26th, 2011, 05:08 PM
Yes it's a conspiracy.

They know what you do..
when you do it..
who you do it with..

Be careful...

Just build a tinfoil helmet and you'll be pretty safe.

uRock
April 26th, 2011, 05:26 PM
You may want to start a new thread stating your machine's symptoms and any information you have found from troubleshooting the issue, if any.

Things that might be helpful to know would be,

Have you tried any other browsers? Do they give you the same problems?

Have you run top, htop or system monitor to see if there is a memory leak or some other issue tell tale sign of what may be causing the problem?

Just a hint, bashing the OS in a help thread isn't going to get you much help, which is why I recommend starting a new thread and sticking to the facts of the issue(s) you are having.

If you do decide to start another thread, then please feel free to PM me and I will gladly remove this thread.

Mark Phelps
April 26th, 2011, 06:24 PM
Personally, and I have been "upgrading" Ubuntu versions since 7.10, I have ALWAYS found that a version upgrade broke something.

It's simply not possible for any SW vendor (Canonical included) to test every combination of device drivers, application software, and customizations out there -- to insure that an upgrade will go smoothly for everyone.

They do their best to test with what they have, and they generally only have the resources to fix the critical problems.

Which is why I have found the following approach to work the best:
1) Maintain two versions of Ubuntu -- each on its own drive
2) When a new version comes out, erase the oldest version, disconnect the drive containing the more recent version, install the new Ubuntu version to the connected drive.
3) Reconnect the other drive but continue to boot from the new Ubuntu version drive.
4) Take your time migrating applications, settings, and customizations over to the newest Ubuntu version.

This ensures that even in the worst case, you still have a working Ubuntu version to use while you work on fixing the newest version.

dFlyer
April 26th, 2011, 06:28 PM
An OS is a personal choice. If you want to run windows please do. If you need help with something be specific, and you may get the help you need.

psusi
April 26th, 2011, 06:40 PM
Don't feed the trolls, this thread should be closed.

Elfy
April 26th, 2011, 06:53 PM
Closed.