PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Lubuntu dual boot: no Windows option after updates

pburress
April 26th, 2011, 03:50 PM
I've installed Lubuntu alongside my existing Windows XP installation. The menu came up on boot allowing me to boot into either Lubuntu or XP. But, after I install all the Lubuntu updates and restart, the option to boot into XP is gone. The boot menu comes up, but no XP option.

I reinstalled Lubuntu again with the same results: after the updates, no XP option.

I am experienced in a Windows environment but not so much Linux, so please keep this in mind!

I'm thinking if I don't get any help here I will reinstall Lubuntu again, and before I run the updates, I will make a copy of grub.cfg for later reference so I can add the XP section in again- am I on the right track here?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Paddy Landau
April 26th, 2011, 06:17 PM
You need to rebuild grub.

Boot into Lubuntu.
Open a terminal.
Type the following command.

sudo update-grub
Reboot.

Let us know if this works.

Quackers
April 26th, 2011, 06:27 PM
Lubuntu sometimes can fail to install os-prober
Have a look in synaptic package manager and enter os-prober in the search box. If it is installed it will have a green box to its left. If it isn't installed you should install it and then run sudo update-grub in the terminal and as grub.cfg is run you should then see the Windows Loader picked up.

pburress
April 26th, 2011, 06:31 PM
Paddy,That did not work. It found the Linux image(s) and a memtest86+ but no windows. I actually did some googling and tried this before my reinstall with the same results.

Quackers, will try that now. Thanks!

pburress
April 26th, 2011, 06:40 PM
os-prober did the trick! Thanks Quackers!

Quackers
April 26th, 2011, 06:41 PM
Ah, very good :-)
I don't know why it doesn't get installed sometimes.
Please mark the thread as solved using the Thread Tools near the top of the page.