PDA

View Full Version : Kubuntu

racoq
May 11th, 2006, 10:54 AM
Hello

I've saw in a brazilian site, that Mark Shuttleworth, founder of ubuntu, announced at Ubuntu Below Zero, that he whishes to turn Kubuntu, (Kubuntu), the main Ubuntu Release. Here's The link (for those who understand Portuguese)

http://www.linuxit.com.br/article-topic-128.html

Is that true?

Hope that Kubuntu doesn't replace Ubuntu with gnome, turning it into the only distro of ubuntu, since it's bad for all the Fans of gnome, who use Ubuntu, like i am. I think that this announce is bad, for ubuntu users (gnome version), since it can lead users to switch to a linux distro other than Ubuntu.

What is your comment?

mips
May 11th, 2006, 11:13 AM
I can't read portugese but my understanding from previous articles is that Kubuntu will share the stage with Ubuntu. Both will be available from shipip in future.

So no, ubuntu is not going to dissapear.

racoq
May 11th, 2006, 11:34 AM
What i understand from the article (and i'm portuguese ;) ), is that Ubuntu will be replaced by Kubuntu, and vice versa, so:

Ubuntu = Kubuntu (main release)

GUbuntu (for example) = Actual Ubuntu with gnome as alternative download

It was this one of the few things that i was trying to clarify for me, and for the users of this Forum, :eek: i.e. what future is reserved for Ubuntu?

GeneralZod
May 11th, 2006, 11:45 AM
What i understand from the article (and i'm portuguese ;) ), is that Ubuntu will be replaced by Kubuntu, and vice versa, so:

Ubuntu = Kubuntu (main release)

GUbuntu (for example) = Actual Ubuntu with gnome as alternative download

It was this one of the few things that i was trying to clarify for me, and for the users of this Forum, :eek: i.e. what future is reserved for Ubuntu?

I'd say the article writer was a little ... er ... "misinformed" ;) The main Ubuntu offering will always be GNOME-based - it's one of the defining traits of the distro.

racoq
May 11th, 2006, 11:56 AM
I'd say the article writer was a little ... er ... "misinformed" ;) The main Ubuntu offering will always be GNOME-based - it's one of the defining traits of the distro.

Great News, thanks for confirming this GeneralZod, some sites "misinform" more that inform.