PDA

View Full Version : Short lived 12.10...

kevin11951
April 26th, 2011, 02:33 PM
It's sad that we will only have Ubuntu 12.10 for two months...

(A cookie goes to anyone who gets the above joke ;))

Lucradia
April 26th, 2011, 02:34 PM

*Doesn't know the reference.*

Explanations! Oh, if it's about 2012, it's been debunked a looooong time ago. By the swedes.

leviathan8
April 26th, 2011, 02:37 PM
At least we will have 12.04 LTS. :)

aG93IGRvIGkgdWJ1bnR1Pw==
April 26th, 2011, 02:38 PM
It's sad that people are still spreading this ridiculous meme. You do realise some gullible people are actually taking this seriously, right? You're causing dumb people severe emotional distress. Imagine how you'd feel if you thought the world was ending in less than two years.

amauk
April 26th, 2011, 02:41 PM
I always remember that crazy american cult that all drank poison in 1998 due to some apocalyptic prediction they had made

Grenage
April 26th, 2011, 02:44 PM
It's sad that people are still spreading this ridiculous meme. You do realise some gullible people are actually taking this seriously, right? You're causing dumb people severe emotional distress. Imagine how you'd feel if you thought the world was ending in less than two years.

Should the rest of the world really have to stop amusing themselves, simply for the sake of the retarded few?

zealibib slaughter
April 26th, 2011, 02:44 PM
There is another group which says that the end will come next month. I believe it will be when the unix dating system crashes on 32 bit.

Thewhistlingwind
April 26th, 2011, 02:45 PM
What I want to know is why people are always so angry about the end of the world in general. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=frAEmhqdLFs)

If I seriously thought the end was near, I'd do everything in my power to see it, that's a cool, once in a lifetime event. For you and all your (non)descendants.

EDIT: SEE, not cause it.
EDIT: The way we do things, I wouldn't be surprised if the world ended on a "predicted" day by sheer coincidence.

Spice Weasel
April 26th, 2011, 02:53 PM
Imagine how you'd feel if you thought the world was ending in less than two years.

Woohoo!

Pessimists unite.

treasonvoice
April 26th, 2011, 02:55 PM

Unfortunately there are even dumber people who perpetuate this whole idea with bad jokes.

It would be nice if THEIR world ended in 2012.

Oh well.

Random_Dude
April 26th, 2011, 02:58 PM
Imagine how you'd feel if you thought the world was ending in less than two years.

There are people who seem to enjoy the idea of an approaching apocalypse. So they are up for a disappointment. :P

Cheers :cool:

NightwishFan
April 26th, 2011, 02:58 PM
I will be really mad if the world ends in 2012... Especially because it will be a coincidence and everyone will still be like.. "SEE!!!!" :P

Random_Dude
April 26th, 2011, 04:29 PM
I will be really mad if the world ends in 2012... Especially because it will be a coincidence and everyone will still be like.. "SEE!!!!" :P

Don't worry, they won't laugh for long.

Lucradia
April 26th, 2011, 04:32 PM
Don't worry, they won't laugh for long.

Well, if the world just floods, and we're able to get to higher land, they can laugh as long as they want. Because, fresh water would overflow into the oceans, causing serious issues with the wildlife (IE: Sharks.) Yes, I know, sharks are a docile creature, unless blood is "smelled." Average humans can live 7 days at least without food (if you have water.)

Paqman
April 26th, 2011, 04:37 PM
Well, if the world just floods, and we're able to get to higher land, they can laugh as long as they want.

And if it floods from the top down? What then smarty pants?

Lucradia
April 26th, 2011, 04:41 PM

/lolface

tgm4883
April 26th, 2011, 04:41 PM

Then the water..... will flow downhill?

wojox
April 26th, 2011, 04:44 PM
Please, if the Mayans were so good at predicting the future, how come they never saw Cortez coming?

Lucradia
April 26th, 2011, 04:44 PM
Then the water..... will flow downhill?

There is a [large] river in the USA that flows north into canada :V (Hint: Midwest)

Random_Dude
April 26th, 2011, 04:49 PM
Please, if the Mayans were so good at predicting the future, how come they never saw Cortez coming?

http://toroz.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/monty-python-spanish-inquisition.jpg

tgm4883
April 26th, 2011, 05:02 PM
There is a [large] river in the USA that flows north into canada :V (Hint: Midwest)

I have some bad news I need to break to you. Just because south is down on a map doesn't mean that south is downhill and north is uphill.

Throne777
April 26th, 2011, 05:59 PM

(I'm not accusing you of perpetuating the misinformation of the tin hat brigade)
The Mayans never did predict the end of the world. Their calendar simply ended at that point (had to end sometime). It'd be like claiming the Western world thinks the world will end December 31st every year.

forrestcupp
April 26th, 2011, 08:09 PM
There is another group which says that the end will come next month. I believe it will be when the unix dating system crashes on 32 bit.

They actually say that the rapture happens next month and the world will be destroyed in October. So I guess we'll only have 12.10 for a few days if we're lucky!

aaaantoine
April 26th, 2011, 08:20 PM
Lemme guess... Your source is the Weekly World News.

1roxtar
April 26th, 2011, 09:37 PM

Ubuntu 12.10 will stop the end of the world!!! Ubuntu One technology will surpass the Cloud and reach into the Heavens. You will be able to drag and drop your prayers and God will stop the world from destroying itself.

:guitar:

aG93IGRvIGkgdWJ1bnR1Pw==
April 26th, 2011, 10:19 PM

I'd be very surprised if there are any 32 bit systems left running outside of museums in 2038.

How many computer systems from 1993 are still used in production today?

hhh
April 26th, 2011, 10:27 PM
I have some bad news I need to break to you. Just because south is down on a map doesn't mean that south is downhill and north is uphill.
But the answer to his question is the Red River.

hhh
April 26th, 2011, 11:07 PM
I always remember that crazy american cult that all drank poison in 1998 due to some apocalyptic prediction they had made
1997, good memory though. Heaven's Gate, led by Marshall Applewhite. 39 people ingested phenobarbital with applesauce, washed down with vodka, with a plastic bag over their heads for good measure, all died.

http://ompldr.org/vOGZwcg

Much, much, much more horrible though was 1978.

Jonestown, a cult led by Jim Jones, consisting of Americans but located in Guyana. Congressman Ryan visited due to concerns of relatives of missing members of the congregation (most likely murdered after announcing they wished to leave the cult). Ryan was murdered at the airport along with others in his delegation as they were leaving. Other members of his party escaped and Jim Jones convinced the flock that the murder investigations would end them so they should kill themselves first. Within hours of Ryan's murder, 909 cult members were dead, almost all from drinking cyanide laced Flavor Aid (hence the phrase "Drinking the Kool-Aid). Before the mass "suicide", the Temple headquarters in Georgetown, Guyana, was contacted and told to extract revenge and then commit suicide. Later that day police arrived and Temple member Sharon Amos killed her 10 and 11 year old daughters with a kitchen knife, then she and her 21 year old daughter killed themselves with the same knife. 918 dead in one day.

http://ompldr.org/vOGZwcw

</kill the joke thread>

Dustin2128
April 26th, 2011, 11:43 PM
I'd be very surprised if there are any 32 bit systems left running outside of museums in 2038.

How many computer systems from 1993 are still used in production today?
You'd be surprised, actually. Plenty of computers from that time or before thrive in areas where being up to date isn't necessarily a problem- e.g. factories. However, a growing problem is the number of mobile devices which are almost exclusivley 32-bit. But hey, phones already have up to 1GB RAM, not long before they swap to 64-bit strictly because of the 4GB limit.

pricetech
April 26th, 2011, 11:45 PM
The whole 2012 thing has been brought up before. I expect stupid people to behave as stupid people usually do and fulfill the prophesy in their own way.

Who's bringing the popcorn ???

amauk
May 3rd, 2011, 10:32 PM
http://ompldr.org/vOGZwcgBlimey...
Was that picture taken before or after he died?

kevin11951
May 3rd, 2011, 10:40 PM
Blimey...
Was that picture taken before or after he died?

I just fell out of my chair laughing! :lolflag:

wewantutopia
May 3rd, 2011, 11:05 PM
They actually say that the rapture happens next month and the world will be destroyed in October. So I guess we'll only have 12.10 for a few days if we're lucky!

Why do people think the rapture happens next month??

Crazy Legs
January 16th, 2012, 05:50 AM
Ooops...I guess that prediction was wrong.

sffvba[e0rt
January 16th, 2012, 06:02 AM
Back to sleep old thread.