PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu 11.04 Free Online Trial BETA open for 24 hours

paddyshack
April 26th, 2011, 11:37 AM
Hi all

Dear Forum members,

Click, share, enjoy the online beta:
http://try-ubuntu-beta.ec42.net/

We are expecting to launch an Ubuntu free trial for any users from next Tuesday, 3rd of May. We would really appreciate your help with testing it. We are making it available for 24 hours from midday UTC on the 26th of April. We need as many people from as many parts of the world to trial it. We want 800 concurrent users at any time. So feel free to share with friends, especially Mac and Windows users.

Feedback, and more feedback required in the following categories
- speed to load
- speed to perform
- the USSO login sequence - how was it for you?
- your location
- was the language of the image you accessed correct for your browser?
- was the time allowed enough for you to get a feel for Ubuntu
- would you use this as an introductory tool for Windows users
- do you love it? do you hate it? Why?
- how can we improve it?

There is a feedback tab in the website itself. Please use that but we will also follow the forum thread if you prefer to discuss it there.

Again, click, share and enjoy;
http://try-ubuntu-beta.ec42.net/

Gerry Carr

Lucradia
April 26th, 2011, 02:20 PM
As I said in the announcement thread:

Website seems down for me, sadly.

leviathan8
April 26th, 2011, 08:09 PM
Firstly, thank you for giving us this great opportunity for testing the new awesome release. Secondly, I would like to ask something. Am I blind or there is no button to send the feedback after we finished testing the upcoming version? :confused:

hhh
April 26th, 2011, 08:37 PM
Click link... connecting... connecting... connecting... connecting... 5 minutes later...
Log in screen... connecting... connecting... connecting... connecting... 5 minutes later... Try Ubuntu!... connecting... connecting... connecting... connecting... 5 minutes later... You need Java (and your 15 minute session is now ticking away)... fail.

Why no "Java plugin required" notice to begin with? And I have a 54Mbp/sec connection, good luck to those with slower speeds.

I also don't understand the target audience... why not push Wubi a little harder? Do you think Linux/Mac users haven't heard of Ubuntu?

Lucradia
April 26th, 2011, 08:42 PM
Why no "Java plugin required" notice to begin with? And I have a 54Mbp/sec connection, good luck to those with slower speeds.

And I have a 25 Mbps connection. Same deal, but I still can never get it.

hhh
April 26th, 2011, 10:14 PM
So I logged out (BTW, an up-front notice saying you need an Ubuntu or Launchpad account to try this is missing as well), installed JRE and logged back in... connecting... connecting... connecting... connecting... 5 minutes later... something about "single session log-in, would you like to continue?" "Yes." connecting... connecting... connecting... connecting... 5 minutes later... "Your session has been terminated." Fabulous failure is fabulous.

Was this thing rushed? Is there any documentation, a F.A.Q., anything other than a "Home" and a "Feedback" button? Aren't these the complaints with Unity, that the user doesn't ever know what the heck is going on?

Bad publicity, and if it's any indication, the 11.04 release should be fun. These forums are going to explode.

After 45 minutes, I still don't even know what this is.

-edit- Aaaaaaand the Feedback submission failed.

-edit- Second attempt at submitting feedback succeeded.

bcbc
April 26th, 2011, 10:45 PM
Sounds like a great idea - unfortunately didn't finish loading for me. But I'll try again later.