PDA

View Full Version : [xubuntu] How well are softwares uninstalled?

MundoMondo
April 26th, 2011, 10:03 AM
Hello!

I have been using ubuntu for a long time and am looking into migrating into Xubuntu due to the change to unity in ubuntu. I am wondering how well softwares are installed. Are there benchmarks or tests of some kind that show how many files / directories registry keys that tend to become "leftovers" when a software is uninstalled?

I tend to try alot of programs from the general repos. This means i do alot of uninstalling of uninteresting programs. Is there any reason to think there are leftovers in the system, or does it (though i doubt it) remove 100% of the uninstalled softwares files?

adit
April 26th, 2011, 10:34 AM
From my personal experience softwares are not uninstalled completely. There are always leftovers in my home directory even if you use the command
sudo apt-get --purge remove package-name

KegHead
April 26th, 2011, 01:46 PM
Hi!

If you remove in synaptic..you have an opportunity to completely remove.

KegHead

MundoMondo
April 27th, 2011, 12:53 PM
I suspect

sudo apt-get autoremove <insert package name> --purge

also does the trick. I just learned this today, though it seems it does have some issues with removing
icons from the usr/share/applications directory when uninstalling something. I quite often find icons
lingering in there from programs i have uninstalled.

m_duck
April 27th, 2011, 01:40 PM
Using apt or synaptic you can remove the majority of a program. Those tools will not however touch any configurations etc that reside in your home directory. You would have to prune that manually.