PDA

View Full Version : How big is your music library?

K_45
April 26th, 2011, 08:58 AM
I've been organizing my music library today and the total is 21.9GB. So, how big is your music (and only music) library?

Spice Weasel
April 26th, 2011, 09:17 AM
20.6gb

leviathan8
April 26th, 2011, 09:18 AM
~5400 songs.

earthpigg
April 26th, 2011, 09:41 AM
14gb, 3,343 items, all in one folder.

it does not open in nautilus within a reasonable timeframe at this point, so i am forced to have pcmanfm installed.

Grenage
April 26th, 2011, 09:45 AM

it does not open in nautilus within a reasonable timeframe at this point, so i am forced to have pcmanfm installed.

I don't have a digital music collection, but if did, I'm pretty sure that would give me a mental breakdown. ;)

earthpigg
April 26th, 2011, 09:55 AM
I don't have a digital music collection, but if did, I'm pretty sure that would give me a mental breakdown. ;)

you are more than welcome to come to my place and organize all of this.

it dates from the napster era when i was in middle school.

Grenage
April 26th, 2011, 09:58 AM

Well, I've never been to California before...

I know what you're saying; things can accumulate rather quickly.

Zero2Nine
April 26th, 2011, 10:05 AM
33,5 GB (according to Rhythmbox) but not all is legally aquired. Although most of the 'illegal' stuff dates from years ago some from the KaZaA age ;) Lately I have only added music by ripping CDs I own and downloading albums from Jamendo (great discovery).

Rasa1111
April 26th, 2011, 10:14 AM
Plugged in the external just for this...
I needed to transfer some backups to it anyway, so it's cool. lol

100.2GB
13,984 Items
Plus another 5-6 GB on my ThinkPad HDD, not in the music folder on the external.

edit: you guys are making me think I've got too much... :???: lol O_o

ctrlmd
April 26th, 2011, 10:46 AM
8g

Joeb454
April 26th, 2011, 10:50 AM
15.68GB, apparently, which covers 3241 songs

Ranko Kohime
April 26th, 2011, 10:57 AM
*EHEM*

Do I win?

Rasa1111
April 26th, 2011, 11:07 AM
*EHEM*

Do I win?

Cool, Now I don't feel soo bad about my 105+ gb'S. :lol:
:guitar:

WRDN
April 26th, 2011, 11:28 AM
4.4Gb

I lost most of my music collection when my HDD failed :(

That said, it's not a big deal because I listen to everything through Spotify nowadays.

mikewhatever
April 26th, 2011, 11:41 AM
27.7 GB, 4789 tracks.

*EHEM*

Do I win?

That's surely hard to beat.

gnomeuser
April 26th, 2011, 11:43 AM
Currently most of my music is on my NAS which is under my fiancée's bed in Brazil so I only have an emergency stash with me currently of about 70GB, the total collection is well over 1TB.

I love music.

HermanAB
April 26th, 2011, 11:43 AM
My music collection is pretty much infinitely huge, since I use Streamtuner.

I do have a 100GB HDD full of ripped CDs somewhere as well, but why bother?

alaukikyo
April 26th, 2011, 11:49 AM
That's surely hard to beat.

that is tiny compared to this (http://guayadeque.org/forums/index.php?p=/discussion/comment/1703#Comment_1703)

koleoptero
April 26th, 2011, 11:57 AM
All hand picked, properly tagged and arranged by artist/album/tracknumber - title, and their mp3gain values set to ~94db.

EDIT: The songs are actually around 36.000. The rest are covers, booklets, dvd files, etc.

mips
April 26th, 2011, 12:19 PM
100GB more or less.

nothingspecial
April 26th, 2011, 12:22 PM
*EHEM*

Do I win?

Amateur

df -h music/
Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on
/dev/sdg1 925G 645G 234G 74% /home/ns/music

find -L music/ -type f | wc -l

:P

matt_symes
April 26th, 2011, 12:33 PM
Amateur

Code:
df -h music/
Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on
/dev/sdg1 925G 645G 234G 74% /home/ns/music

find -L music/ -type f | wc -l

Well my music library consist of.....

www.grooveshark.com and www.spotify.com

So i win hands down :-\"

RiceMonster
April 26th, 2011, 12:41 PM
>8000 songs. Haven't checked how much space it takes up in a while. Probably >80 GB now.

Timmer1240
April 26th, 2011, 12:46 PM
about 75 or 80 gigs I love feeding rythmbox my cds and putting them on the computer its so easy!

wizard10000
April 26th, 2011, 12:50 PM
*EHEM*

Do I win?

Nope.

:D

samalex
April 26th, 2011, 02:57 PM
My music is spread out over about 3 drives, but last time I did a rough guess it was around 300 Gigs. Some of this is duplicates though.

streamripper is my friend :)

dh04000
April 26th, 2011, 03:40 PM
I use vbr mp3's so store my music. I'm also very against pirating music, and pro good sound quality, so I own a cd for every song I have.

8 GB of music.

anaconda
April 26th, 2011, 03:49 PM
about 50GB, and 99% of them are legal! Downloaded them long ago, with kazaa, when downloading music was actually legal in my country. (not so anymore.)

But 99,99% of the time I listen to the same 8 songs.....,

samalex
April 26th, 2011, 04:14 PM
about 50GB, and 99% of them are legal! Downloaded them long ago, with kazaa, when downloading music was actually legal in my country. (not so anymore.)

But 99,99% of the time I listen to the same 8 songs.....,

Yup, I rarely listen to anything in my music collection. Pandora, Podcasts, SomaFM, or online broadcasts of terrestrial stations is what I listen to mostly. Like you I have a few dozen songs I keep on my phone and listen to on occasion, but it's rare.

April 26th, 2011, 04:19 PM
my home media server has 156.4GB of songs, and thats not including music videos.
Ive been copying my cd's since I was 13. There all really high quality so one cd is about 1/2 a GB. So in a way its not really that much.

babybean
April 26th, 2011, 04:24 PM
1.38GB, plenty :)

Throne777
April 26th, 2011, 06:01 PM
15,000 songs (ish), 1,300+ artists. 112 gig.

I'm quite the music fanatic.

oldsoundguy
April 26th, 2011, 06:07 PM
3000+ cd's, 100 tapes, 200+ concert DVD's and about 1.2+ TB on hard drives.

spupy
April 26th, 2011, 06:10 PM
0 MB

I recently "rm -rf *"'d my home folder while trying to delete some fonts at 3 AM...](*,)

I listen to music at grooveshark anyway.

RiceMonster
April 26th, 2011, 06:11 PM
0 MB

I recently "rm -rf *"'d my home folder while trying to delete some fonts at 3 AM...](*,)

Oh my. I think I would cry.

Throne777
April 26th, 2011, 06:20 PM
about 1.2+ TB on hard drives.

Are they all FLAC files or something?

Fedz
April 26th, 2011, 06:23 PM
2,221 mp3s = 10.6GB :)

After a HD crash many years ago I now back them up on a separate drive!

I listen more at GrooveShark (http://GrooveShark.com) rather than play mp3s as they're on the mp3 player for listening whilst out :)

Mr.Dee
April 26th, 2011, 06:28 PM
6 gigs, but it is getting pretty stale and will probably expand significantly in the next few months. The entire collection was scattered between drives and I recently reconciled it all to a single drive and deleted a few duplicate folders. Ready to expand!

_outlawed_
April 26th, 2011, 06:35 PM
I listen to internet radio so....

Seq
April 26th, 2011, 06:42 PM
I'm at ~27GB, mostly CD rips at vorbis q7 or so. Some songs seem to have been corrupted at some point, not sure why (some of these rips are many, many years old and have gone through multiple filesystems on multiple operating systems).

I'm slowly re-ripping all of these in FLAC, and setting up mpd to play around my house rather than toting my rockbox'd ipod around.

Have a look at 'musicbrainz picard'. It is in the repos. It will analyse your music, correct and add any missing tags (assuming it recognizes the songs), optionally add cover art (via plugin), and optionally rename and sort your music (I have it remap everything to "ARTIST/YEAR - ALBUM/#. SONGNAME")

Ranko Kohime
April 26th, 2011, 07:27 PM
Currently most of my music is on my NAS which is under my fiancée's bed in Brazil so I only have an emergency stash with me currently of about 70GB, the total collection is well over 1TB.

I love music.
While we'll need a picture to verify that claim, still...

I need a smilie that does not exist in this forum to express that.

April 26th, 2011, 07:29 PM
whats a NAS?

earthpigg
April 26th, 2011, 08:56 PM
whats a NAS?

network attached storage (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Network_attached_storage). a streaming multimedia server for a household faster (or of higher quality) than anything internet streaming would allow unless you live in Finland.

another primary advantage being that you have one central storage location for your multimedia, and you set it up so everything else in your house can access it (phone, tv, desktop, significant other's laptop, etc).

gnomeuser
April 26th, 2011, 09:03 PM

If you wanted to organize it a bit you could use Banshee's option to write back metadata and have it move the files according to it. For files where the metadata is wrong the Last.fm fingerprinter should be helpful.

Phrea
April 26th, 2011, 09:04 PM
Rhythmbox tells me it's 183,9GB, consisting of 28.426 songs, lasting a total of 87 days, 6 hours and 35 minutes.

K_45
April 26th, 2011, 10:06 PM
Impressive. Even if I were to re-rip my collection I wouldn't use FLAC. Still not convinced you can hear a difference from .mp3 VBR or .ogg's highest quality compared to FLAC.

aphatak
April 26th, 2011, 10:12 PM
I have crossed 300GB, but I still have to convert all the vinyl and tape-reels to digital. Mine is all classical, though ...

nothingspecial
April 26th, 2011, 10:13 PM
Impressive. Even if I were to re-rip my collection I wouldn't use FLAC. Still not convinced you can hear a difference from .mp3 VBR or .ogg's highest quality compared to FLAC.

I don't think you can on a sub-standard system.

K_45
April 26th, 2011, 10:55 PM
I don't think you can on a sub-standard system.

It doesn't matter if I have a $300 Asus Xonar card with swappable op amps and a $500 pair of Teufel speakers, I still can't tell the difference.

SenseMaker2011
April 26th, 2011, 11:14 PM
I've been organizing my music library today and the total is 21.9GB. So, how big is your music (and only music) library?

This is a good question as I wonder, why again and again my Rhythmbox Music Player crashes. Too often I find "empty lists". So it should not be... In the past I used MM (MediaMonkey) on two Windows mashines. MM is a very cool professional music database you can integrate many plugins from WinAmp.

Unluckily I cannot compile it with Wine to use it under linux. And it was not my 1st target to setup a new Linux mashine using Rhythmbox but would like to keep it in reserves.

In my whole music archive I have round about 2,500 artists and 16,000 tracks (playtime: 80 days, storage size: 150 GB).

My music is stored external (NAS) on a 2 TerraBite RAID Storage system (iOmega iX2) which runs an own linux file management system and has an own network port. The connection from my linux mashine to the DSL router is a 10/100 cable network. The MS network I manage via my Dell Vista Laptop.

As 1st step I have organized in Rhythmbox different playlists, referring to sub-folders which are named with the genres of my music ... within these sub-folders I store the artists name and then the CD editions.... looks like this:

F:\Archive\Music\Jazz\Blues Rock\BB King\Lucille & Friends\07 - spirit in the dark.mp3

plus CD cover as *.jpg or *.gif graphic file:
F:\Archive\Music\Jazz\Blues Rock\BB King\Lucille & Friends\cover.jpg

Very often it happens, that all these playlists and same the main folder "music" are suddenly total empty.

Frustrating, isnt it ? - It seems, that Rhythmbox does not store / backup the playlists automatically. Why not ? - It should and it should be in my own hands, if I wand index new or not.

I cannot index all files every 2nd day new because seeing empty lists. My music database is no more small, but yet not really big. Eats away lot of time and is no more fun...

So I ask: IS MY MUSIC DATABASE TOO BIG ? - Or is my RAM (2 GB) too small ? Or is Rhythmbox only for small databases adequate, missing the performance for bigger data volumes ?

On my own I am total new in Linux, just now 1 week within this new topic. (Rec.: I started in 1981 with Basics, then MS Dos and later all that stuff of MS coming out (Win 3.11, Win NT4.0, Win 98/2000, WinXP and Vista))

1st let me give a short report about my very, very new experiences with Linux:

As test I setup a "virtualbox" with Linux/Ubuntu on my Vista Laptop for getting in touch with. Very charming the handling... so I had a good feeling to start a new era - purely with Linux.

I decided to setup a "blank computer" (IBM, Pentium4, 2.2GHz, 2GB RAM, 40 GB HD) with Linux which shall be used singulary for audio recording (home studio) and editing for my non commercial radio broadcasting shows.

I have heard that Linux does not need such huge capacities, e.g. for a Windows Vista with all programmes you need alone 100-200 GB storage. So I thought, a smaller mashine for purely Linux as OS is enough.

I was very surprised that the installation with the DVD of Linux Ubuntu 9 version worked so easily and quickly. From Network to Screen etc. ... all was recognized within one hour I had access to the Internet via my router. Amazing...

Same the online based upgrading to latetest Ubuntu version 10.04 LTS - The Lucid Lynx + Installation of Ubuntu Software Center worked so phantastic.

Last I setup successfully Google Chrome, Adobe Flash, Skype Beta 2.0 Version, AVIRA as virus scanner. Jack, Ardour and Linux MultiMedia Sutdio I have installed as I want know the alternative for my audio recording software I use since 5 years in MS Windows: Adobe Audition 1.5 (a professional recording and editing tool).

In Wine I run Notepad and FreeCommander

So what to do for avoiding empty lists ? - Tks in advance for your support/TC - SM2011

Seq
April 26th, 2011, 11:34 PM

My reason for ripping to FLAC is mainly for transcoding. My ipod runs rockbox and can use my music in vorbis, but my wife's ipod can't. I may be interested in another format at some point in the future as well, so I've decided to rip to archival-quality, since the labour involved is worth more than the storage.

Since FLAC is lossless, I can just transcode that to whatever lossy format I need in the future without incurring multiple lossy steps.

K_45
April 26th, 2011, 11:35 PM
@ SenseMaker2011

I use MPD + a command line (10-15MB media player, anyone?) frontend to serve my music. I would suggest trying MPD and setting it up:

http://mpd.wikia.com/wiki/Music_Player_Daemon_Wiki

uRock
April 26th, 2011, 11:38 PM
3.4gb

spupy
April 26th, 2011, 11:41 PM
Oh my. I think I would cry.

Actually, after I discovered why all the folders in /home have disappeared, I stared at the screen for a moment or two, then started to laugh maniacally. :twisted:

And I do have backups of everything, including my music. Unfortunately, I made the backups back then when I had a laptop with a DVD drive. At the moment neither my netbook nor my desktop have an optical drive so I can't restore my tunes. :D

Ranko Kohime
April 27th, 2011, 12:37 AM
Depends upon the individual ear, and the music style listened to.

Light music with little dynamic tends to indistinguishable FLAC over Ogg for me. Classical with sweeping dynamics (1812 overture), and Metal tend to be noticeable to me. There's a slight distortion added in compression (mp3/Ogg as opposed to dynamics compression), that I find hard to listen to these days.

Ranko Kohime
April 27th, 2011, 12:46 AM
Actually, after I discovered why all the folders in /home have disappeared, I stared at the screen for a moment or two, then started to laugh maniacally. :twisted:

And I do have backups of everything, including my music. Unfortunately, I made the backups back then when I had a laptop with a DVD drive. At the moment neither my netbook nor my desktop have an optical drive so I can't restore my tunes. :D
I just sudo dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sda this morning, but it wasn't a mistake. I forgot to manically laugh. :(

user1397
April 27th, 2011, 12:55 AM
~30GB, over 4,000 songs

really been trying to get around cleaning it up, plus with grooveshark, pandora and the like it's seeming more and more useless to own your own music...

K_45
April 27th, 2011, 12:57 AM
~30GB, over 4,000 songs

really been trying to get around cleaning it up, plus with grooveshark, pandora and the like it's seeming more and more useless to own your own music...

I always prefer to buy the CD's and then rip them. I don't think a physical copy can be replaced.

April 27th, 2011, 01:04 AM
i always prefer to buy the cd's and then rip them. I don't think a physical copy can be replaced.
+1

uRock
April 27th, 2011, 01:16 AM
I always prefer to buy the CD's and then rip them. I don't think a physical copy can be replaced.

Same here. My Explorer doesn't have an MP3 connector yet and even when I connect the MP3 player in my VW the sound quality is way low compared to when playing a disk.

gnomeuser
April 27th, 2011, 01:57 AM

Personally I use FLAC to have a lossless copy of my CDs. I can transcode for other needs but for me it is about preserving my music in perfect condition since I don't trust CDs nor want them cluttering up my living space.

I do the same for my DVDs but I have not yet found a perfect way to do this also the copy protection does occasionally get in the way *grumble*.

K_45
April 27th, 2011, 02:07 AM
Personally I use FLAC to have a lossless copy of my CDs. I can transcode for other needs but for me it is about preserving my music in perfect condition since I don't trust CDs nor want them cluttering up my living space.

I do the same for my DVDs but I have not yet found a perfect way to do this also the copy protection does occasionally get in the way *grumble*.

DVD's are easy. Use DVD Decryptor in WINE to crack CSS/Macrovision into a single 8.5GB .ISO for double layer films and 4.7GB for single layer, or into a single.vob file for easy transcoding into the file format of your choice.

charliemagiera
April 27th, 2011, 03:12 AM
Sad to say, but only a mere 7.4g; however, not all my music has been ripped.#-o

Rasa1111
April 27th, 2011, 07:57 AM
@Sensmaker2011~

When I used rhythmbox I had the same kind of problems.
All sorts of funky stuff would go on that shouldnt have been.

I also chalked it up to not being able to handle my 100+ GB',
But I don't know, really.

I do know that when I switched to Clementine music player,
All the problems I had with rhythmbox disappeared!
And ive not had a problem since.
Also have 2GB RAM.

Maybe give Clementine a try?
It's the best ive found yet! good luck. <3

Cope57
April 27th, 2011, 10:23 AM
3,600 songs, totaling 22.1 GB
Some mp3, ogg,and flac.

Perfect Storm
April 27th, 2011, 10:24 AM
Not big... around ~900 songs.

smroose
April 27th, 2011, 01:27 PM
155.2G with 23539 unique tracks.
(i used to dj back in the 80's and I (luckily) got a chance to digitize my collection at the start of the conversion)

:guitar:

Elfy
April 27th, 2011, 02:50 PM
About 30000 tracks, some old mp3 and some flac. About 250Gb.