PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] Unity and Gnome 3 are designed for touch screens

psytech
April 26th, 2011, 07:25 AM
Which is why I'm glad KDE still values the good old desktop paradigm. I'd like to use unity, but unfortunately, it is impossible to customise in any significant fashion. I will be switching to Kubuntu now. I think a "start bar" is the perfect mouse & keyboard GUI paradigm.

My recomendation to the Ubuntu devs is to give unity an option to replace the awkward (for a mouse) application finder with a "start menu", and also give an option to have the old style of task bar as well.

I am not complaining here. like I said, I like KDE and have no problem switching over. The only reason I care about unity is; I don't want somebody to try Ubuntu, find out you can't customise the GUI at all, then go right back over to windows or OSX.

ElSlunko
April 26th, 2011, 07:38 AM
Disagree (keyboard shortcuts are actually very integral to it's operation). It appears that way in screenshots but in practice that's hardly true. It's like saying Windows 7's taskbar icons or OSXs dock is only for touchscreens.

The maximised windows are actually not that awkward either. Thought they might be, but they're not.

dava4444
April 26th, 2011, 07:44 AM
Hi psytech

just throwing this in here, i think it is pretty good now that you can use the desktop properly asin~ the dev release. orientation? yeah first thing i thought can't move the unity bar, but then it's space smart which i like, and have you seen the WorkSpace switcher GOB-SMAKD! wow i had thought about that before, move the windows while all desktops are shown, their active too which is pretty awesome.

KDE lost me when they stopped letting you get direct themes right from the theme switcher in 9.10 :( it was my fav feature.

shame as it was a very smart idea. Ubuntu should do it, i miss it.

peace

Dava