PDA

View Full Version : XP cleanup

Timmer1240
April 26th, 2011, 04:32 AM
Tonight Im doing a cleanup of a friends Virus malware ridden Laptop with Windows XP It Just makes me really glad that I dont Use XP or Windows anymore!I dont care anyones opinion Linux is better by a long shot when it comes to staying clean and secure Ive been running 14 months no antivirus nothing havent caught anything!:D

Thewhistlingwind
April 26th, 2011, 04:50 AM
Don't get cocky. Because if you do you get hit, hard.:popcorn:

EDIT: No need to apologise, just a reminder.

Timmer1240
April 26th, 2011, 04:52 AM
Your right Ive bricked the damn thing a few times!

Timmer1240
April 26th, 2011, 04:54 AM
I didnt mean to sound cocky sorry it came off that way!

Bucky Ball
April 26th, 2011, 05:06 AM
Don't get cocky. Because if you do you get hit, hard.:popcorn:

EDIT: No need to apologise, just a reminder.

What exactly is Timmer going to get 'hit' with?

http://www.desktoplinux.com/articles/AT5785842995.html

Thewhistlingwind
April 26th, 2011, 05:09 AM
What exactly is Timmer going to get 'hit' with?

http://www.desktoplinux.com/articles/AT5785842995.html

I never said it'd be any time soon.:wink: It was actually a very optimistic prediction that linux would draw enough market share to come under fire from malware writers. Case in point though, on general principle I think it's a bad idea to assume your bullet-proof, even if it may in fact be true.

EDIT: If it makes you feel better, this paragraph is spot on.
In fact, no commodity OS is "secure". Security is a process, not a product, as dozens of security experts keep reminding us. Linux does, however, have important security enhancements compared to consumer-level Windows operating systems: File permissions and separate user accounts can greatly mitigate the damage caused by malicious software. If all of the security features built-into Linux are properly configured and enabled,
Linux is a highly secure system.

It's a process, when you believe that process has ended, you invite trouble.

Timmer1240
April 26th, 2011, 05:10 AM
Well I feel safer from all the meanies anyhow thats worth something!

Timmer1240
April 26th, 2011, 05:23 AM
From what Ive been reading its vary difficult to write viruses and malware for linux because of the file permissions you have to have root privilages to install any software. So its vary hard to write something that can install itself on your machine without you entering your password and giving it the go ahead and if it somehow did get in it would only effect the your home folder and wouldnt be systemwide.Now I may be wrong but how this security model in Linux is has to be way more secure than running administrator all the time in windows!

Timmer1240
April 26th, 2011, 05:26 AM
I just dont think you can catch a driveby download like you can in windows sure you could install a malicious deb. file its not bulletproof

weasel fierce
April 26th, 2011, 05:31 AM
I've trashed my ubuntu installs a few times, but every time, I could trace it back to something I did.

I don't feel bad about that.

Timmer1240
April 26th, 2011, 05:39 AM
same here MY fault!But thats how you learn!And I have all my goodies backed up!