PDA

View Full Version : Who here hates password remembering reminders?

Warpnow
April 26th, 2011, 04:24 AM
I absolutely hate it when any program asks me if it wants to remember the password. The first thing I do after installing an OS is turn these things off.

Anyone else?

PhillyPhil
April 26th, 2011, 04:39 AM
I like browsers asking and remembering for me, but I hate with a passion Ubuntu's password keyring: it continuously asks me to enter passwords, and is the first thing I disable on a new Ubuntu install.

To be perfectly honest I can't even imagine what it's intended use is, or how it could be helpful.

Ctrl-Alt-F1
April 26th, 2011, 04:41 AM
I absolutely hate it when any program asks me if it wants to remember the password. The first thing I do after installing an OS is turn these things off.

Anyone else?I used to. It used to be about security for me. However, eventually I got tired of typing in the same passwords all the time so I've made liberal use of the password remember feature. The only passwords I don't remember are bank, school, or business related passwords.

I always lock my screen when away from my computer though. Not that it would matter if someone had physical access to my machine, but I think my passwords would be the least of my worries if some stranger had his hands on my baby.

Warpnow
April 26th, 2011, 04:43 AM
I might should have made the poll: Who hates gnome keyring?

FuturePilot
April 26th, 2011, 04:50 AM
I like browsers asking and remembering for me, but I hate with a passion Ubuntu's password keyring: it continuously asks me to enter passwords, and is the first thing I disable on a new Ubuntu install.

To be perfectly honest I can't even imagine what it's intended use is, or how it could be helpful.

It should not be prompting you for your password all the time. If it is, check to make sure your gnome-keyring password is the same as your login password.

It's used to securely store passwords by applications.

PhillyPhil
April 26th, 2011, 05:03 AM
It should not be prompting you for your password all the time. If it is, check to make sure your gnome-keyring password is the same as your login password.

It's used to securely store passwords by applications.

I don't want to have to check, and as far as I know I have no applications that use it. I much prefer not having it at all.

yetiman64
April 26th, 2011, 06:38 AM

Anyone else?

+1, This is the first settings to get changed on a new install here, particularly in firefox.

I hate this as well, though I can understand the convenience it provides to probably the majority of users.

Warpnow
May 2nd, 2011, 03:05 AM
+1, This is the first settings to get changed on a new install here, particularly in firefox.

I hate this as well, though I can understand the convenience it provides to probably the majority of users.

Maybe not the majority based on the poll results.

yetiman64
May 2nd, 2011, 03:15 AM
Maybe not the majority based on the poll results.

A sample set of 14 voters (currently in the poll) out of 1,290,955 (total) or 54,851 (active) UF members. 0.001084468 % or 0.025523691% participation rate for total and active members respectively. :biggrin:

The cafe can certainly give some skewed results ;-).

Edit: whoops, missed one voter, :-)

uRock
May 2nd, 2011, 03:18 AM
I password protect my passwords in Firefox. Gnome keyring has never asked me for a password, because I require a password on login.

Warpnow
May 2nd, 2011, 06:27 AM
A sample set of 14 voters (currently in the poll) out of 1,290,955 (total) or 54,851 (active) UF members. 0.001084468 % or 0.025523691% participation rate for total and active members respectively. :biggrin:

The cafe can certainly give some skewed results ;-).

Edit: whoops, missed one voter, :-)

Hence why I said maybe. :-p

I think that a good amount of people have their web browser remember their password, but I honestly doubt too many people actually use gnome-keyring...because 99% of their logins are handled fine by the browser's built in features.

wilee-nilee
May 2nd, 2011, 06:31 AM
I only need the password for sudo access, I started with open source though so I'm just used to using one.