PDA

View Full Version : sony 6th day with-out online servers

josephmills
April 26th, 2011, 12:12 AM
So the servers got hacked at sony and no one can go on-line and play games against/with there friends. what I am wondering is
1. where they using linux/freebsd ect servers.
2. How long ago did sony stop supporting linux for its users (you use to be able to put power pc linux on a ps3)
3. Do you think that that has any thing to do with it
4. if they got the whole servers then they have all of the infomation of the people that use it to say buy games and what not right?
5. If this is true and they have the info why is it not on the news in America Have any of you seen it on the new in other country's?
6.So what do you think about all this?

user1397
April 26th, 2011, 12:20 AM
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-13169518

Johnsie
April 26th, 2011, 12:25 AM
This has happened to alot of online games and gaming systems. If the issue is serious enough then they will go down until they are fixed. No doubt Sony has its development team working around the clock, so it is probably a tricky one to fix if it has taken this long. I wouldn't blame Sony, I would blame the people who hacked it in the first place. Those wee #$^# ruined it for everyone.

At least Sony are making sure everyone is kept safe.

jerenept
April 26th, 2011, 12:37 AM
PSN servers weren't 'hacked' by any stretch of the imagination.
DDoS =/= hack.

Besides, they even have a frakking press release (http://anonnews.org/?p=press&a=item&i=848) stating they didn't do it.

josephmills
April 26th, 2011, 12:59 AM
here is where I got some info from
http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-501465_162-20057069-501465.html
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z1Jm1GUQclo&feature=player_embedded#at=19
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/04/25/sony_psn_intrusion/
http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5j9AacQSaJXBQ3JUqZWxemjT8nMPw?docId=916344d02 c284103af70f845db4befc1

Ctrl-Alt-F1
April 26th, 2011, 01:10 AM
PSN servers weren't 'hacked' by any stretch of the imagination.
DDoS =/= hack.

Where did you get this information. Everything I've seen has said it was an intrusion. Granted, Sony could be lying, but you're not exactly an authoritative source either. :P

josephmills
April 26th, 2011, 08:07 PM
The hacker attack that brought down the PlayStation Network, Sony's popular gaming hub which fuels the online portion of the PlayStation 3, continued into this week, and now the company has announced that the service will be down indefinitely.

Boasting roughly 75 million members, the network allows consumers to purchase a wide range of digital goods from the Sony line-up much like Apple's iTunes store. The security breach has apparently compromised the service to such a degree that Sony now plans to rebuild the network infrastructure from the ground up.

The hackers must have all the credit card numbers that where in there system. So if you used it I would watch your bank account. Just saying.:P

josephmills
April 26th, 2011, 08:22 PM
take a look at this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tQqHelFYXeU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zI3MGLS_-Wc

aaaantoine
April 26th, 2011, 08:25 PM
No lie, Microsoft is behind this. <.< >.>

josephmills
April 26th, 2011, 08:37 PM

you really think so? You don't think that it had anything to do with the fact that sony use to offer people the chance to put ubuntu or any power pc for that matter on there ps3 then they took that away and still used linux servers. You don't think that some kid or said well if I cant have linux on my ps3 then they should not have linux on there servers? I read something on irc that said something to that nature and that they put Microsoft servers in there place but yet again that is a irc quote

RiceMonster
April 26th, 2011, 08:40 PM

Please tell me you're joking.

earthpigg
April 26th, 2011, 09:11 PM
Not sure this is how we want to make 70m people aware of Linux...

(I do suspect this is related to the removal of the "Other OS" option, the subsequent consequences for Sony, Sony's subsequent counterattack against users in the courts, and so on..... this being the latest volley from users against corporation they feel has mistreated them.)

josephmills
April 26th, 2011, 09:43 PM
Not sure this is how we want to make 70m people aware of Linux...
I hear that it is just a shame sony that is. Do you remember a couple of years ago when they put the rootkit in with all there cd?
so when you put there cd in your computer it left a rootkit. I was one that had that happen to me (trey anastasio cd)now I cant play my friends on-line although my ps3 has a lot of dust on it :P

KiwiNZ
April 26th, 2011, 09:54 PM
I hope Sony find those responsible and get them locked up for a long time.:-x

_outlawed_
April 26th, 2011, 09:56 PM
This is why we can't have nice things.

josephmills
April 26th, 2011, 10:06 PM
cool stuff thanks

josephmills
April 26th, 2011, 10:16 PM
not only do I hope that they get the son of a guns that are mucking it up for the rest of us. I hope they fire there penn testing team and they go to jail too. jk about the pentester going to jail:)

earthpigg
April 26th, 2011, 10:23 PM

why create a martyr...?

(note that it is irrelevant if you or i consider him a martyr, as i don't believe either of us would engage in such shenanigans anyways.)

like most things, it takes a combination of people both willing and able to do this for it to happen.

locking him/her/them up will have only a trivial effect on the number of people 'able' to do this, but it may increase the number of people 'willing' to do this stuff by a lot.

the chain of events leading to this has already shown us to be the case. 2 years ago, there was no combination of people on this planet both able and willing to attack Sony like this. What has changed in the last two years? Not the number of able people, to any significant degree. The number of willing people, however, has clearly gone up.

An alternative approach would be to pursue a friendly attitude towards hobbyists, the way Microsoft has done with their motion sensor thing.

josephmills
April 26th, 2011, 10:27 PM
why create a martyr...?

(note that it is irrelevant if you or i consider him a martyr, as i don't believe either of us would engage in such shenanigans anyways.)

locking him/her/them up will have only a trivial effect on the number of people 'able' to do this, but it may increase the number of people 'willing' to do this stuff by a lot.

the chain of events leading to this has already shown us to be the case. 2 years ago, there was no combination of people on this planet both able and willing to attack Sony like this. What has changed in the last two years? Not the number of able people, to any significant degree. The number of willing people, however, has clearly gone up.

An alternative approach would be to pursue a friendly attitude towards hobbyists, the way Microsoft has done with their motion sensor thing.

are you saying hire the person or persons that cracked in and give them the pentester job I would go for that

earthpigg
April 26th, 2011, 10:30 PM
are you saying hire the person or persons that cracked in and give them the pentester job I would go for that

No, I'm just saying to act in rational self interest and attempt to not be the most salient target on the planet.

The way Sony has been treating some of its hobbyist customers is (perceived as) worse than anything Microsoft has done with any product they've released. Ever.

Recall that any given perception has the power of truth to those that believe it. For them, it is the truth just as the sky is blue.

EDIT: i've done my bad habit of heavily editing a post while people were reading it. Please re-read post #18 in this thread, if you are reading this thread live.

earthpigg
April 26th, 2011, 10:34 PM
The alternative approach is to keep making enemies of hobbyist customers.

That is only viable if Sony has employees or volunteer contributors smarter than the smartest hobbyists. This is clearly not the case, is it?

josephmills
April 26th, 2011, 10:41 PM
The way Sony has been treating some of its hobbyist customers is (perceived as) worse than anything Microsoft has done with any product they've released. Ever I 100% agree with this

earthpigg
April 26th, 2011, 10:46 PM
Yes. Look at this bright, young, inquisitive mind. I like the kid.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/2/21/George_Hotz.jpg

He jailbroke the iPhone before anyone else, and shared this knowledge. Good for him. Even Apple never tried to ruin his life.

Sony? Different story - viscously, ruthlessly, and maliciously attacking him with well-paid merciless mercenaries in suits (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lawyer).

As someone above pointed out, this is the same corporation that intentionally installed viruses on the computers millions of good-faith customers.

You may disagree with any or all of the above assessment, but that is immaterial unless you are someone that would be willing to break the law.

(I am not willing to break the law at present in this fashion, nor am I technically able, nor am I endorsing or suggesting that anyone else do. Merely using my human empathy to put myself in the shoes of another and get to the bottom of things.)

josephmills
April 26th, 2011, 10:57 PM
I still think that biggest thing that is being overlooked is the fact of the credit card numbers there has to be a lot of them.

criskat777
April 26th, 2011, 11:41 PM
It’s funny how customers don't care what evil's big corp. do and get away with. As long as they give the Dog a bone, I for one am extra happy that the Dog Bit back. I am one that lost my Ubuntu install on my PS3 that I paid for and was updated by my daughter when I was not around. I remember the good old days when you would buy something and no one had the rite to alter the way it would work after you paid for it. Sony is no good and thinks its customers were going to keep taking the shaft .i am not shedding any tears if it really turns out that it was a Hacker attack.

KiwiNZ
April 26th, 2011, 11:48 PM
It’s funny how customers don't care what evil's big corp. do and get away with. As long as they give the Dog a bone, I for one am extra happy that the Dog Bit back. I am one that lost my Ubuntu install on my PS3 that I paid for and was updated by my daughter when I was not around. I remember the good old days when you would buy something and no one had the rite to alter the way it would work after you paid for it. Sony is no good and thinks its customers were going to keep taking the shaft .i am not shedding any tears if it really turns out that it was a Hacker attack.

So you are happy that a handful of brats had a tanty and have blocked 70million plus people accessing the Network they joined.

If they were not happy with Sony's actions there were legal recourse's available to them.

josephmills
April 26th, 2011, 11:56 PM
So you are happy that a handful of brats had a tanty and have blocked 70million plus people accessing the Network they joined.
this part I agree with I am not happy about it one bit.

If they were not happy with Sony's actions there were legal recourse's available to them.
This I don't agree with people dont have this kind off money. Sony is huge there firm is big some of them have been in congress they have the pull to take your life and ruin all parts of it. Or give you so much money that you shut up. I think that it is malarchi that they (sony) teased us and said go ahead and install a power pc flavor of your choice, But then they took that away for us and said if you update you will lose your power pc partition but you can go on-line if you do not upgrade then you can not go on-line and on top of that we are going to mark your mac address.

KiwiNZ
April 27th, 2011, 12:05 AM
this part I agree with I am not happy about it one bit.

This I don't agree with people dont have this kind off money. Sony is huge there firm is big some of them have been in congress they have the pull to take your life and ruin all parts of it. Or give you so much money that you shut up. I think that it is malarchi that they (sony) teased us and said go ahead and install a power pc flavor of your choice, But then they took that away for us and said if you update you will lose your power pc partition but you can go on-line if you do not upgrade then you can not go on-line and on top of that we are going to mark your mac address.

Legal recourse can include not purchasing their products. I was not necessarily referring to litigation.

josephmills
April 27th, 2011, 12:07 AM
Legal recourse can include not purchasing their products. I was not necessarily referring to litigation.

This I 100% agree with, But this also goes back to the point when I bought it. I could install a os on it

criskat777
April 27th, 2011, 12:23 AM
Just in case you did not read what i wrote . "I am one that lost my Ubuntu install on my PS3 that I paid for and was updated by my daughter (under age)when I was not around”. Well that means that it happened long after i paid $500.00 for it. Next someone will say, well only a few customers were affected by not being able to run ubuntu on PS3. But you know what i paid for my PS3 and should be able to keep what i have. if they wanted to restrict new customers that is a different story.

earthpigg
April 27th, 2011, 12:24 AM

This is essentially an illegal sit in. We've seen these in the US before, especially in the South.

You aren't the first person to call people 'brats' because they've chosen to nonviolently break the law to achieve goals they feel are important.

If you are going to treat us like crap because we ______ people are a bit different than most of your customers, we are going to respond by ensuring that all of your customers get crap service.

Illegal or not, I see nothing fundamentally unethical about this attack against Sony. Rude, yes. Illegal, yes. Unethical? Nope.

earthpigg
April 27th, 2011, 12:25 AM
@criskat777 - I sympathize with your plight. Bait and switch is always a frustrating thing to suffer -- even moreso when the small print clearly allows it and you thus have zero recourse within the law.

Ctrl-Alt-F1
April 27th, 2011, 12:33 AM
No wonder Sony has had this locked down. The situation is much worse than they originally lead people to believe. Glad I'm not a customer!

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/news/2011/04/sony-admits-utter-psn-failure-your-personal-data-has-been-stolen.ars

smellyman
April 27th, 2011, 12:38 AM
Good oppurtunity to step outside and enjoy the spring time kids.....

josephmills
April 27th, 2011, 12:39 AM
No wonder Sony has had this locked down. The situation is much worse than they originally lead people to believe. Glad I'm not a customer!

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/news/2011/04/sony-admits-utter-psn-failure-your-personal-data-has-been-stolen.ars

ok I urge all of you to call you local news as I have the word needs to get out

criskat777
April 27th, 2011, 12:42 AM
Linux is freedom. And Sony advertised PS3 as a Linux endorsing platform. Then they robed it from us by that I mean the Open Sources community, they may say it was for security reasons but that is there problem not mine. To tell you the truth It wasn’t that grate. But we go back to the principles of Linux (I do it because I can). Then one day I get home and I can’t do it anymore.

KiwiNZ
April 27th, 2011, 12:53 AM
This is essentially an illegal sit in. We've seen these in the US before, especially in the South.

You aren't the first person to call people 'brats' because they've chosen to nonviolently break the law to achieve goals they feel are important.

Illegal or not, I see nothing fundamentally unethical about this attack against Sony. Rude, yes. Illegal, yes. Unethical? Nope.

Nothing unethical? you have to be joking ,look at what they have taken.....

"What did they get?

Here is the data that Sony is sure has been compromised if you have a PlayStation Network Account:

Your name
Your address (city, state, and zip)
Country
E-mail address
Birthday
PSN password and login name

"It is also possible that your profile data, including purchase history and billing address (city, state, zip), and your PlayStation Network/Qriocity password security answers may have been obtained. If you have authorized a sub-account for your dependent, the same data with respect to your dependent may have been obtained," Sony announced. While the company claims that there is "no evidence" that credit card information has been compromised, it won't rule out the possibility.
Their advice is to be safe, rather than sorry. "If you have provided your credit card data through PlayStation Network or Qriocity, out of an abundance of caution we are advising you that your credit card number (excluding security code) and expiration date may have been obtained.""

That is not a "sit in" or some "moral protest" it is clearly an illegal act of theft and willful damage of a commercial website by a bunch of scumbags.

PhillyPhil
April 27th, 2011, 01:00 AM

How strange it feels to agree with KiwiNZ...:p

This isn't just bad for Sony, it's bad for 77 million users - their personal details are in the hands of some unknown party, and possibly even their credit card numbers.

I have no sympathy at all for Sony themselves, but this seems pretty unethical to me

aguafina
April 27th, 2011, 01:01 AM

LoL I like how the credit card infomation and caution is put right at the end of the statement by Sony.

If they had any thought for their customers that would of been the very first thing outlined. it might as well of been in small print.

josephmills
April 27th, 2011, 01:24 AM

This is a great link but I want to see more I don't know if I trust this source alone,I have e-mailed the author of that link but have not heard back from him yet, will post when I do. In the mean time I am looking for more links

Thewhistlingwind
April 27th, 2011, 01:28 AM
This is a great link but I want to see more I don't know if I trust this source alone,I have e-mailed the author of that link but have not heard back from him yet, will post when I do. In the mean time I am looking for more links

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-13192359

It happened.

PhillyPhil
April 27th, 2011, 01:28 AM

ArsTechnica is a well-known, trusted site, and reasonably famous in tech circles.

josephmills
April 27th, 2011, 01:29 AM
straight from the donky's mouth
http://blog.us.playstation.com/2011/04/26/update-on-playstation-network-and-qriocity/

earthpigg
April 27th, 2011, 01:36 AM
"What did they get?

Here is the data that Sony is sure has been compromised if you have a PlayStation Network Account:

Your name
Your address (city, state, and zip)
Country
E-mail address
Birthday
PSN password and login name

"It is also possible that your profile data, including purchase history and billing address (city, state, zip), and your PlayStation Network/Qriocity password security answers may have been obtained. If you have authorized a sub-account for your dependent, the same data with respect to your dependent may have been obtained," Sony announced. While the company claims that there is "no evidence" that credit card information has been compromised, it won't rule out the possibility.
Their advice is to be safe, rather than sorry. "If you have provided your credit card data through PlayStation Network or Qriocity, out of an abundance of caution we are advising you that your credit card number (excluding security code) and expiration date may have been obtained.""

That is not a "sit in" or some "moral protest" it is clearly an illegal act of theft and willful damage of a commercial website by a bunch of scumbags.

i never denied that it was illegal and damaging. that was the point.

josephmills
April 27th, 2011, 01:41 AM
I just got this email

Thank you for your e-mails. We are doing the story so make sure you tune in to see it tonight on Fox First at 10 and News 8 at 11.

ClientAlive
April 27th, 2011, 03:15 AM
here is where I got some info from
http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-501465_162-20057069-501465.html
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z1Jm1GUQclo&feature=player_embedded#at=19
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/04/25/sony_psn_intrusion/
http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5j9AacQSaJXBQ3JUqZWxemjT8nMPw?docId=916344d02 c284103af70f845db4befc1

Wow! Sounds like these dudes are really, really screwing up - big time! Personally, I don't see the thing with taking away support for Linux like they did. That should be an open and shut case in court.

These folks paid for the device prior to Sony's decision to "neuter" the devices. What right do they have to do anything that alters something that no longer belongs to the? Then, after folks being out of pocket (not to mention the time and effort invested in setting the system up the way they wanted it) - suddenly they are unable to access key features that led to their purchasing decision in the first place! No way Sony can stand against that one.

Combine that with the NeoHot deal and what's been going on with the downed servers . . . I'll be fascinated to see how they make it through this. If at all, it would only be because there is no other alternative (if that is indeed the case). All that would need to happen at this juncture is for an-other organisation to offer the same or better service that was viable with the equipment consumers already owned - and - BAM! Sony would be toast!

Personally, I don't understand a company that makes the kind of decisions I see Sony making. It's offensive. The issue with "other" o/s support was executed on April fools - of all days! What kind of message are they really trying to sent? They also really seem to have done a number on poor ol' George Hotz (NeoHot). I get the impression of an angry, twisted man who abuses a little puppy. He's too much of a coward to stand up to a man his own size so he takes it out on the little dog.

Like the angry dog owner, Sony has taken their anger out on a person who did nothing deserving of it - just because they could. They threw their weight (and their money) around and bullied someone who was doing what he had every right to do. It wasn't over an issue of integrity, but over an issue of power and authority. They were pissed to have lost control.

I'm not surprised if they got hacked; and, personally, I applaud! I feel sorry for the folks who have had to suffer as a result of this loss in services - but there is a bigger issue at stake here. An issue that is not only worth a sacrifice but one that compels it. If people allow large corporations like Sony to define their rights for them and decide how they may or may not use equipment they spent their own hard-earned money on - then they will eventually find themselves without any choice left at all.

In all that I've written please don't mistake what I'm saying: I am for the little guy. I wish nothing more than for us all to gain all the satisfaction and enjoyment that can possibly be had from the devices we buy. All I am saying is that there is a wrong and a right way of going about gaining that satisfaction. If consumers continue to support such behavior I believe we will all suffer the consequences in the end.

Ultimately, I suppose no one yet knows what the real source of this outage is. For all we know it could be some kind of Sony cover up for something far worse. One thing we can know though is that any company that treats it's customers the way Sony has doesn't deserve to be in business. It's our money and we can spend it however we like. It is that selfsame money that allows Sony to exist and it is that selfsame money that can just as easily install some other company in it's place.

These are just my opinions and I don't expect everyone, or even anyone, to agree with them. But what would I be if I were not to express the way I feel about issues like this? I believe it would make me even worse than the cowardly dog owner. Too weak to stand up for what I believe, too scared to face the facts. In the end, is there even really a choice? I don't think so, so I do the way I do. I'm compelled to do so.

Thanks for hearing me out guys. Peace out for now.

God bless ya' Joseph.

Jake
:)

3rdalbum
April 27th, 2011, 03:22 AM
Linux is freedom. And Sony advertised PS3 as a Linux endorsing platform. Then they robed it from us by that I mean the Open Sources community

REALITY CHECK: You can still use the original PS3 to run Linux. Sony didn't take that away from you. What they took away is the ability to use PSN and Linux on the same console. If you want to run Linux on the PS3, then use an older firmware.

ANOTHER REALITY CHECK: Who really wants to run Linux on the PS3? You've only got 256mb of RAM, no graphics acceleration, no expandability and no access to the Bluray drive. That's a pretty poor Linux system. You can pay less and buy a PC that provides a better Linux experience.

A FINAL, RUDE REALITY CHECK: I have to go to work tonight and pay for parking with my prepaid Visa card, not knowing if the card is going to be accepted, because the attacker might have stolen the credit card details and might withdraw all the money from it before I get to the parking meter. I could have my car towed away because I can't pay for parking because my Visa card has had all its money stolen from it.
And you're complaining about losing the ability to run Linux on the PS3!

KiwiNZ
April 27th, 2011, 03:35 AM
Do you really believe these guys did this as a protest? A protest would be closing it down for a day or two. Taking all the information etc is theft for financial gain, no protest, they are criminals who probably have no idea about Linux and the issues people are complaining about.

josephmills
April 27th, 2011, 03:45 AM
Do you really believe these guys did this as a protest? A protest would be closing it down for a day or two. Taking all the information etc is theft for financial gain, no protest, they are criminals

I agree

who probably have no idea about Linux

I Think that who ever did this has heard of gnu/linux but I think that you are right that this is not the issue the issue is lack of communication by press and sony and even these crackers. I mean this is huge 70+ million users creidet cards. this is not about the partitioned of hard drives. I mean this has the potential to be the biggest scam ever this is the stuff that movies are made about.

josephmills
April 27th, 2011, 04:10 AM
I just got this email

Thank you for your e-mails. We are doing the story so make sure you tune in to see it tonight on Fox First at 10 and News 8 at 11.

http://rochesterhomepage.net/fulltext/?nxd_id=246447
http://www.13wham.com/news/national/story/Sony-PlayStation-network-hacked/WmP65IxwQU6Ik4CZQ_gcAg.cspx
"Sony says its possible hackers also stole users' credit card information. If you put your child's information into the system they got that too."
Call your local news media

earthpigg
April 27th, 2011, 04:38 AM
Do you really believe these guys did this as a protest? A protest would be closing it down for a day or two. Taking all the information etc is theft for financial gain, no protest, they are criminals who probably have no idea about Linux and the issues people are complaining about.

i doubt they realized they'd be this successful when planned.

once they realized just how much access they had, it was children in a candy store or any arbitrary army noticing that the enemy had turned and was fleeing (often when most of the killing occurs).

aaaantoine
April 27th, 2011, 04:43 AM
you really think so?

Please tell me you're joking.

It was a joke -- I realize now that not everybody recognizes the shifty eyes emoticons.

But my point being, this outage does benefit Xbox Live while it's still being sorted out.

KiwiNZ
April 27th, 2011, 04:54 AM

once they realized just how much access they had, it was children in a candy store or any arbitrary army noticing that the enemy had turned and was fleeing (often when most of the killing occurs).

The individuals responsible for this knew what they were doing and where they were going. This was entry into the systems of a professional unit of a large corporation not an amateur operation.

ClientAlive
April 27th, 2011, 05:10 AM
I just got this email

Is there an online source to watch this newscast? I don't own a television. I looked on the net but the best I come up with is the facebook page (which freezes on me and won't load) and some dumb ask.com page that useless except for the link to facebook.

Thanks

earthpigg
April 27th, 2011, 05:19 AM
Don't warranties generally cover manufacturer defect...?

Ctrl-Alt-F1
April 27th, 2011, 05:32 AM

You're making an awful lot of assumptions about their good intentions. What we do know is that they broke the law and I'm sure they've upset a great many world citizens as a result. How can you defend them without knowing anything about their motives?

*They probably broke the law. I guess it depends on the country.

josephmills
April 27th, 2011, 05:37 AM
Is there an online source to watch this newscast? I don't own a television. I looked on the net but the best I come up with is the facebook page (which freezes on me and won't load) and some dumb ask.com page that useless except for the link to facebook.

Thanks

check it brother

drklunk
April 27th, 2011, 05:40 AM
This was really just an experiment Sony is heading to see if cancelling service prior to college exam weeks in the US will have any effect on exam scores.

Really though, people need to calm down

Donalt2010
April 27th, 2011, 12:14 PM
http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/gamesblog/2011/apr/27/playstation-network-hack-sony

Anonymous at their work again..:o

Johnsie
April 27th, 2011, 12:30 PM
Welcome to the world of cloud computing. For the record, the article posted above says that anonymous DENIED involvment

Horseboy
April 27th, 2011, 12:32 PM
Anonymous rock. Sony needed to learn their lesson, not to mess with hackers. Especially George Hotz.

whitefort
April 27th, 2011, 12:35 PM
http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/gamesblog/2011/apr/27/playstation-network-hack-sony

Anonymous at their work again..:o

Emphatically not. Speaking as one of the stupid sods who trusted Sony with my Visa details (and may now suffer the consequences), I believe Anon when they say 'This time it wasn't us.'

Stealing credit card details isn't even SLIGHTLY similar to their M.O.

Personally I blame Sony even more than I blame the cracker(s) - if someone was able to lift my credit card details, then clearly they weren't properly encrypted.

Donalt2010
April 27th, 2011, 01:14 PM
http://bit.ly/gGhP9l

Might be worth a read...

ClientAlive
April 28th, 2011, 05:17 AM
check it brother

Right on. Thanks man.
:)

drklunk
April 28th, 2011, 05:30 AM
Still no word on when PSN should be back up?

Tyler94
April 28th, 2011, 05:47 AM
Some services within the week http://www.joystiq.com/2011/04/26/sony-says-psn-intrusion-compromised-personal-info-hopes-to-ha/

josephmills
April 28th, 2011, 05:30 PM
I dont think that I am ever going to go on that network again. I mean are you kidding me sony has some enemies. And I dont think that they are only Anonymous. I dont think that that it a safe place to play no matter how much sony try's to say that it is. Do you real think that this is over this is not over by a long shot. Sony has made some real nice friends and they are not going home until they are dead (i think )or sony is dead.

drklunk
April 28th, 2011, 06:12 PM
I dont think that I am ever going to go on that network again. I mean are you kidding me sony has some enemies. And I dont think that they are only Anonymous. I dont think that that it a safe place to play no matter how much sony try's to say that it is. Do you real think that this is over this is not over by a long shot. Sony has made some real nice friends and they are not going home until they are dead (i think )or sony is dead.

Whatever, whats to stop the same thing from happening to Live? The only real gaming solution is PC gaming, which is the best anyway. After forking up $225 for a PS3 Im definitely going to be back online soaking up free console multiplayer. Im just going to remove my credit card info since I never bought anything from the POS store, why would anyone want to waste money on arcade games in the first place?

Theres no escaping the threat of identity theft if you use the internet. The fact that Sony was hacked and all that crap just goes to show that. Its actually pretty silly that people feel like their information is in any way secure while it is in something as accessible as the internet.

I blame myself for risking identity theft, not Sony.

josephmills
April 28th, 2011, 07:09 PM
Whatever, whats to stop the same thing from happening to Live? The only real gaming solution is PC gaming, which is the best anyway. After forking up $225 for a PS3 Im definitely going to be back online soaking up free console multiplayer. Im just going to remove my credit card info since I never bought anything from the POS store, why would anyone want to waste money on arcade games in the first place?

there is a-lot more then this this is not about xbox this is about your freedom liberty and justice. It dosent matter if you remove your credit card they have the numbers. and pin and exp date. take it off wont do a darn thing calling your bank and a credit bureaus might though.

Theres no escaping the threat of identity theft if you use the internet. The fact that Sony was hacked and all that crap just goes to show that. Its actually pretty silly that people feel like their information is in any way secure while it is in something as accessible as the internet.

you are right there is no escaping the threatof identity theft. Just like there is no way to stop the treat of a bully at school but you dont have to walk by his house everyday. And It is not silly to think that "that people feel like their information is in any way secure while it is in something as accessible as the internet" I dont know about you but when I pay for something that is what I pay for nothing else. I mean if I were to go into subway to get lunch and they store got robbed and they took all are wallets (pi) and subway did nothing about it then I would be mad to say the least, just imagine if subway would have denied it for a week first. and told the cops that it did not happen but then turned around and said that it did how do you think that they cops would take that? Now just imagine that 77+million people where in that subway when it happened.

I blame myself for risking identity theft, not Sony.

you go ahead and do that and when they sell you the next newest and coolest game that Has a root kit in it then what? not like sony has ever done anything like that before? Oh and now that it is on your network it is going to make its way around to all things connected to your network. I dont want sony to have a back door to all my stuff. You said it your self you paid to have it you should get what you pay for not worry about losing more money or your whole identity for that matter. I dont know how old you are but if you would ever like to buy a house in the future or a car or anything and you report comes back as bad then what? So you can honestly say that it is your fault that these things will or wont happen.

drklunk
April 28th, 2011, 07:36 PM
there is a-lot more then this this is not about xbox this is about your freedom liberty and justice. It dosent matter if you remove your credit card they have the numbers. and pin and exp date. take it off wont do a darn thing calling your bank and a credit bureaus might though.

you are right there is no escaping the threatof identity theft. Just like there is no way to stop the treat of a bully at school but you dont have to walk by his house everyday. And It is not silly to think that "that people feel like their information is in any way secure while it is in something as accessible as the internet" I dont know about you but when I pay for something that is what I pay for nothing else. I mean if I were to go into subway to get lunch and they store got robbed and they took all are wallets (pi) and subway did nothing about it then I would be mad to say the least, just imagine if subway would have denied it for a week first. and told the cops that it did not happen but then turned around and said that it did how do you think that they cops would take that? Now just imagine that 77+million people where in that subway when it happened.

you go ahead and do that and when they sell you the next newest and coolest game that Has a root kit in it then what? not like sony has ever done anything like that before? Oh and now that it is on your network it is going to make its way around to all things connected to your network. I dont want sony to have a back door to all my stuff. You said it your self you paid to have it you should get what you pay for not worry about losing more money or your whole identity for that matter. I dont know how old you are but if you would ever like to buy a house in the future or a car or anything and you report comes back as bad then what? So you can honestly say that it is your fault that these things will or wont happen.

I payed for the system, not the service. The service is free and you get what you pay for. If my wallet got stolen while I was buying Subway how, in any way, would Subway be responsible? I was in the wrong place at the wrong time. I gave Sony my information, not that I trust anyone with my credit card info but it was by choice that I gave it to them.

I suppose I think that those 77+million people should take responsibility for their own actions, like forfeiting that information in the first place. Sony does not require a credit card to sign up for PSN so it was the individual's own fault that it was in their hands in the first place. I honestly dont care if Sony goes down in flames for this or not, kinda hope they do just so I can watch a bunch of other internet rants pop up in frustration for something out of their control.

The only thing Sony is guilty of is being hacked, 77+million people are guilty of allowing their identity to be stolen

My information was stolen, dont put finance-related information on the internet, lesson learned.

I dont know how old you are, but maybe its time you and any of those 77+million complaining to learn how to accept responsibility for their own actions.

If my credit report comes back bad then the only option I have is to solve the problem

s*** happens, be happy

:popcorn:

josephmills
April 28th, 2011, 08:18 PM
I payed for the system, not the service. The service is free and you get what you pay for. If my wallet got stolen while I was buying Subway how, in any way, would Subway be responsible? I was in the wrong place at the wrong time. I gave Sony my information, not that I trust anyone with my credit card info but it was by choice that I gave it to them. You are right it would not be subways fault until they said that it did not happen for a week then they changed there mind that called aiding and abetting and it is a crime.

The only thing Sony is guilty of is being hacked, 77+million people are guilty of allowing their identity to be stolen

Sony is more guilty then that

My information was stolen, dont put finance-related information on the internet, lesson learned.

good go back and get some more

I dont know how old you are, but maybe its time you and any of those 77+million complaining to learn how to accept responsibility for their own actions.
I am 27 and none of my info was on psn I just thought that this would be a good thread. I think that people deserve no wait have the right to know what in the world is going on with there credit. especially when the company has lied to you and told you something else. And I think that it is un-fair to say that it is the consumers responsibility to an extent. Sony is huge if you take say 77millionx$200.00 I think that they could afford some better pen testers. but you are right that it is partially there own fault.

s*** happens, be happy

I like it

KiwiNZ
April 28th, 2011, 08:31 PM
You are right it would not be subways fault until they said that it did not happen for a week then they changed there mind that called aiding and abetting and it is a crime.

I am 27 and none of my info was on psn I just thought that this would be a good thread. I think that people deserve no wait have the right to know what in the world is going on with there credit. especially when the company has lied to you and told you something else. And I think that it is un-fair to say that it is the consumers responsibility to an extent. Sony is huge if you take say 77millionx$200.00 I think that they could afford some better pen testers. but you are right that it is partially there own fault.

I like it

90% of the fault for this lays with the scumbags that perpetrated this crime and no one should forget that or should try to make it some hero crusade against an "evil Corporation.

The crusade ruse is BS and those scumbags deserve to dealt with to the maximum extent of the law and their assets sold to compensate and future earnings garnished to compensate.

Sony of course made errors with regards to security and need to review and remedy clearly what they are doing now given the time it is taking to restore the service.

Phrea
April 28th, 2011, 08:43 PM
90% of the fault for this lays with the scumbags that perpetrated this crime and no one should forget that or should try to make it some hero crusade against an "evil Corporation.

The crusade ruse is BS and those scumbags deserve to dealt with to the maximum extent of the law and their assets sold to compensate and future earnings garnished to compensate.

Sony of course made errors with regards to security and need to review and remedy clearly what they are doing now given the time it is taking to restore the service.

I hate it when people do this, but:

/thread

drklunk
April 28th, 2011, 08:46 PM
You are right it would not be subways fault until they said that it did not happen for a week then they changed there mind that called aiding and abetting and it is a crime.

I like it

Youre right, but I feel Sony reacted as any company would. The people in charge were probably shocked to say the least and at a loss of direction, where to start, etc. Im unaware of whether they knew from the start what happened or were in such shock that it did happen they didnt know how to respond. Did they know the information was stolen from the start? When something this drastic happens its easy for me to assume that the first question would be what happened rather than jump to any conclusion. In figuring out what happened they discovered the information was stolen, couldve taken a few days. After that theyve gotta decide on the best way to go about handling it and how to address the public in the most sensible way possible (in this case... an email haha).

I stand corrected then, youre in the clear. However, I still think it is silly to entrust the internet with the security of personal information as far as any financial information goes.

I use online banking so right now Im a major hypocrite, but now Ive got a better understanding of the inherent risks

josephmills
April 28th, 2011, 08:56 PM
Here is a question has any one heard of anything to do with missing funds out of there account yet I have not heard anything. I mean has money been stolen yet?

KiwiNZ
April 28th, 2011, 09:17 PM
Request a new card , don't add to PSN , then you are clear of any charges that may occur. Also, present the email from Sony and ask the Bank to record it . If any charges come through request that they reverse the charge and any fees.Legally you are not liable once you have advised your Bank of the risk.

josephmills
April 28th, 2011, 09:27 PM
request a new card , don't add to psn , then you are clear of any charges that may occur. Also, present the email from sony and ask the bank to record it . If any charges come through request that they reverse the charge and any fees.legally you are not liable once you have advised your bank of the risk.

+100

Chame_Wizard
April 29th, 2011, 12:16 AM
I have a PSN account,but this is getting ridiculous.

Seems like there is a bazaar,which is selling PSN credit card accounts.

drklunk
April 29th, 2011, 01:20 AM
Request a new card , don't add to PSN , then you are clear of any charges that may occur. Also, present the email from Sony and ask the Bank to record it . If any charges come through request that they reverse the charge and any fees.Legally you are not liable once you have advised your Bank of the risk.
^great idea

solutions<3

Sub101
April 29th, 2011, 01:23 AM
Apparently the credit card info was encrypted - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-13231307

However, as the article says, the level of encryption is not yet clear.

Quadunit404
April 29th, 2011, 01:35 AM
If the level of encryption is 256-bit, then our credit card info is safe.

drklunk
April 29th, 2011, 01:33 PM
Now at 11 days without PSN. Could someone explain why a problem like this would take so long to fix?

Here is an update: http://mashable.com/2011/04/28/psn-day11/

Should be back online by May 4th, they say. Im really not pleased by the way theyve been handling this. I know I pretty much defended them before but this is getting ridiculous. There has been a lawsuit filed against Sony out of Alabama regarding the stolen information. Sony doesnt believe any credit card information was taken but will not rule out the possibility... totally reassuring.

juancarlospaco
April 29th, 2011, 03:10 PM
Where to send Resumee to work there ...?

Seriously :)

drklunk
May 3rd, 2011, 05:07 PM
Where to send Resumee to work there ...?

Seriously :)

http://www.careerbuilder.com/JobSeeker/Jobs/JobDetails.aspx?job_did=J3F4GV6PLHHGXQC9WWF

;)

Npl
May 3rd, 2011, 05:44 PM
If the level of encryption is 256-bit, then our credit card info is safe.256-bit XOR encryption?
anything AES would be fine.

Whats more troublesome is that some people dont realize that they should change their login & password on all sites (or better have used different passwords for everything). It doesnt help if you get a new CC and someone else can simply use it thorugh your Amazon account.

Its hardly the first time my login information got compromised, I did change my passwords to a unique-per-site ones long ago.

Retlol
May 3rd, 2011, 10:42 PM
The long PSN outage has sharpened my Tekken 6 skills a lot. Picked up 5 new characters (to learn to counter better and unranked fun). Swamping in gold 2.

To bad even on ultra hard you beat Tekken Gods in ghost mode with 3 perfects. :p:p

I used all fake information and have no credit cards or stuff on it. I'm a bit concerned to reactivate my account (ps3 number 3 atm). I'm sure a call with the helpdesk will short out any problems that arise.

handy
May 3rd, 2011, 11:32 PM
Now at 11 days without PSN. Could someone explain why a problem like this would take so long to fix?

Here is an update: http://mashable.com/2011/04/28/psn-day11/

Should be back online by May 4th, they say. Im really not pleased by the way theyve been handling this. I know I pretty much defended them before but this is getting ridiculous. There has been a lawsuit filed against Sony out of Alabama regarding the stolen information. Sony doesnt believe any credit card information was taken but will not rule out the possibility... totally reassuring.

Do you remember not that long ago that we had 3 weeks or so of limited Ubuntu forum functionality during the process of replacing the servers here?

The Ubuntu forums are just that.

The Sony network is multifaceted, vastly more complex & makes this forum look microscopic by comparison.

Sony have had a hell of a job on their hands. A job that all in all is going to have cost them an enormous amount of money.

Just as Canonical did everything they could to try to bring the new system online in as smooth a way as they could, they also had to ensure that it was reliable, all this & much more, Sony are in the process of doing.

Sony have 3rd party businesses that they have to work at regaining the confidence of, apart from their millions of mostly impatient young users.

I'm sure that there are some very stressed people working extremely hard & long days for Sony at the moment.