PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Upgrade to Natty - Unity Not Working

stevedude
April 25th, 2011, 11:33 PM
Last night I upgraded from Maverick 10.10 to Natty Narwhal. During the upgrade process I received a "monodoc-base.o crashed" error at some directory that I don't remember. When the upgrade completed, and the system rebooted, all I have is a blank screen with a wallpaper. Unity does not launch and going to Alt-F2 and trying to run Unity does not work either.

The only saving grace is that I was running "Docky" prior to the upgrade and that program loads and I am able to get to a terminal via Docky. The terminal shortcut key does not work. From terminal, if I type "Unity" then Unity will run and I have access into the new interface until the next reboot when I have to do this all over again.

My question is: Is there a way to set Unity to launch upon boot up like it should, or is there a way I can rollback the upgrade?

In GRUB I have a choice option to run an "Earlier Version Of Linux", but when I do that the desktop is a hodge-podge of Natty and Maverick. My Maverick interface is not the way it was prior to the upgrade and it has elements of Natty in it (esp the ME menu)

It is a dual-boot Win7/Ubuntu system. Let me know of there are more details I can provide. Thanks in advance

**EDIT** OK, I opened the "Startup Applications" programs under "Themes and Tweaks" and created a new entry for Unity. This is an acceptable work-around until the final version of Natty is released in a few days. Now Unity launches when I boot into Ubuntu.