PDA

View Full Version : Do I need psychiatrist ?

linuxyogi
April 25th, 2011, 07:52 PM
Hi,

Lately a I am observing an addiction towards installing updates.

Yes, you read it right. Installing Updates !!!! I want to install updates all the time. Say, every 10 minutes or so.

When I see that there are no updates available currently I feel sad & irritated.

Ye, its true that I want to use that latest version of all apps unless its unusable enough to break my installation which is why I installed LMDE as dual boot with Ubuntu.

Initially LMDE (using testing repos) gave me a lot of updates. But I feel as if even that is not enough.

Do I need psychiatrist ?

andymorton
April 25th, 2011, 08:12 PM
I know exactly what you mean. I'm the same. I don't why but I always feel disappointed if there's no updates available. I think we both need help! :confused:

_outlawed_
April 25th, 2011, 08:14 PM
I am same way on Windows and Ubuntu. I see the "New Updates!" thing come up, and I'm all like HOORAY! :D

ki4jgt
April 25th, 2011, 08:16 PM
NO :-) LOL, same here, but I didn't think Ubuntu released updates as far as major versions in the same release cycle.

juancarlospaco
April 25th, 2011, 08:21 PM
cant... read, im... Updating

Dry Lips
April 25th, 2011, 08:28 PM
Computer addiction:
https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/wiki/Computer_addiction

Internet addiction disorder:
https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/wiki/Internet_addiction_disorder

aguafina
April 25th, 2011, 08:32 PM
cant... read, im... Updating

Typo, you best update your post. :)

sammiev
April 25th, 2011, 08:41 PM
I tried just about every Linux OS over the last month. LOL :)

leviathan8
April 25th, 2011, 09:01 PM
Hi,

Yes, you read it right. Installing Updates !!!! I want to install updates all the time. Say, every 10 minutes or so.

When I see that there are no updates available currently I feel sad & irritated.

Ye, its true that I want to use that latest version of all apps unless its unusable enough to break my installation which is why I installed LMDE as dual boot with Ubuntu.

Initially LMDE (using testing repos) gave me a lot of updates. But I feel as if even that is not enough.

Do I need psychiatrist ?

It's ok unless you feel emotional pain from poorly coded programs, crashes, errors, or whatever might compromise your computer. :P

juancarlospaco
April 25th, 2011, 09:38 PM
Typo, you best update your post. :)

I don't like those ' ' ' ' ' ' ' thing
Also i don't like áccéńtś used into my native language
its intentionally...

forrestcupp
April 25th, 2011, 09:40 PM
You don't need a psychiatrist. You need to get out and take a walk and get some fresh air.

I think you're in the phase of realizing that Linux is just another OS and the excitement of finding new things is coming to an end. Now, all you have left to fill that void is constantly updating, hoping there will be something new.

You'll be a lot better off if you can just come to terms with the fact that Linux is just another OS that is a tool to get things done. Either that, or start learning to program. There's no point in installing updates every 10 minutes just to end up being disappointed that there's nothing mindblowingly new.

IWantFroyo
April 25th, 2011, 09:43 PM
If you like updates, you're going to have a party April 28th. Might throw a release party myself.

juancarlospaco
April 25th, 2011, 09:43 PM
Learn to code Python and do your own mindblowingly new things every time you want

tubunu
April 25th, 2011, 09:44 PM
Welcome on board, I also installed LMDE because I felt as if I needed some more excitement in my life. I must say I'm very much impressed with the updates there!

collisionystm
April 25th, 2011, 09:46 PM
Ugh. I hate updates.

wilee-nilee
April 25th, 2011, 09:49 PM
The psychiatrist has a RX pad get some sedatives.;)

linuxyogi
April 25th, 2011, 10:05 PM
First of all, thanks to all for your replies.

You don't need a psychiatrist. You need to get out and take a walk and get some fresh air.

I think you're in the phase of realizing that Linux is just another OS and the excitement of finding new things is coming to an end. Now, all you have left to fill that void is constantly updating, hoping there will be something new.

You'll be a lot better off if you can just come to terms with the fact that Linux is just another OS that is a tool to get things done. Either that, or start learning to program. There's no point in installing updates every 10 minutes just to end up being disappointed that there's nothing mindblowingly new.

I agree with what yo have written. Every word.

Loneliness

I think loneliness is the reason behind such obsessive behavior. Besides updates I also feel excited & a sense of joy when people reply to my threads. As a self-imposed rule I don't chat with anonymous persons over the internet. The only exception to this rule is when I use Linux related IRC. Leaving that I have some accounts in multiple Linux distribution forums. But because my knowledge of Linux is very limited, I rarely get the opportunity to help anyone.
So, its not like I get many notifications from forums on a daily basis. I often wonder,"if I had the knowledge required I would have spent all my free time in these forums helping others".
Sometimes I feel very awkward being around such knowledgeable people who hang around in this forum:(

Learning programming ? Really ? Can I learn it by studying online material alone ? :o

aG93IGRvIGkgdWJ1bnR1Pw==
April 25th, 2011, 10:12 PM
Learning programming ? Really ? Can I learn it by studying online material alone ? :o

Definitely. I'm a self-taught programmer, I've learned Python, bash, C and LISP through free online resources exclusively. I do, however, have a university degree in mathematics and theoretical computer science, so that helped a lot.

forrestcupp
April 25th, 2011, 11:02 PM
I think loneliness is the reason behind such obsessive behavior.Loneliness is a hard thing. Forums and updates won't fill that void. Make yourself get out and spend some time around real people.

There is a mother lode of free online tutorials for about any programming language you could want to learn. It's easy to find good tutorials for absolute beginners, too. If you have any interest in programming, you can definitely do it, and it will be rewarding.

I don't have any degree or formal training at all, and I can make my way around Python, C#, C++, Visual Basic, and Java (also Commodore BASIC and assembly, but those don't really apply anymore). You can do it!

nerdy_kid
April 25th, 2011, 11:10 PM
<snip>

d3v1150m471c
April 25th, 2011, 11:15 PM
What if one of those updates breaks your machine? food for thought.

cgroza
April 25th, 2011, 11:17 PM
Simple, reinstall and guess what, more UPDATES!

d3v1150m471c
April 25th, 2011, 11:21 PM

everytime someone says reinstall a small part of my soul begins to bleed...

Thewhistlingwind
April 26th, 2011, 12:08 AM
First of all, thanks to all for your replies.

I agree with what yo have written. Every word.

Loneliness

I think loneliness is the reason behind such obsessive behavior. Besides updates I also feel excited & a sense of joy when people reply to my threads. As a self-imposed rule I don't chat with anonymous persons over the internet. The only exception to this rule is when I use Linux related IRC. Leaving that I have some accounts in multiple Linux distribution forums. But because my knowledge of Linux is very limited, I rarely get the opportunity to help anyone.
So, its not like I get many notifications from forums on a daily basis. I often wonder,"if I had the knowledge required I would have spent all my free time in these forums helping others".
Sometimes I feel very awkward being around such knowledgeable people who hang around in this forum:(

http://www.briggs.net.nz/log/writing/snake-wrangling-for-kids/

The hard part is learning a language, the rest come naturally after that.

EDIT: Also, whats wrong with random strangers, just don't tell anything more then your first name and you should be good. (Besides, IRC gives away your IP, which is an instant ticket to your city district.)

Timmer1240
April 26th, 2011, 01:07 AM
Im running Mint Debian I like to do the updates too!Its really a nice Distro Im running it exclusively for now kinda like the idea of rolling release!

linuxyogi
April 26th, 2011, 02:51 AM
Im running Mint Debian I like to do the updates too!Its really a nice Distro Im running it exclusively for now kinda like the idea of rolling release!

I followed your opinion about installing LMDE. But now I find that even LMDE is not bleeding edge like Arch is. What's your take on this ? But, yes I agree that it is one refined distro for sure. I am loving it :D

http://www.briggs.net.nz/log/writing/snake-wrangling-for-kids/

The hard part is learning a language, the rest come naturally after that.

Okay, I have downloaded that book, I will try my best. Thanks.

linuxyogi
April 26th, 2011, 03:00 AM

Great ........Great ....Simply Superb =D>

Even if we go to rehab we will use Linux there and guess what ???

<snip>

MORE UPDATES

Thewhistlingwind
April 26th, 2011, 03:31 AM
Okay, I have downloaded that book, I will try my best. Thanks.

Don't be afraid to ask for help if you get stuck. :)

EDIT: Also, it's a kids book, don't be put off, being limited to write for kids forces you to simplify your statements, improving the quality IMO.

Khakilang
April 26th, 2011, 04:13 AM
I had that syndrome too during my time using Window. I have to keep on updating the security, virus update, defrag hard disk, scan hard disk and clean registry. Now I still have that habit in Linux. But it is slowly going away.

Thewhistlingwind
April 26th, 2011, 04:27 AM
Mine is checking email BTW. Evolution is a lifesaver. (If only I could make it check for mail without the window open.)

theprofessor102
April 26th, 2011, 04:36 AM
Hi,

Do I need psychiatrist ?

YOU NEED IT BAD! why do you want updates so you can have something to do like fix stuff that the update breaks! and normally it does.

Irihapeti
April 26th, 2011, 06:18 AM
You don't need a psychiatrist, but you might need a support group.

Oh wait, ubuntuforums is a support group...

/hides behind rock again...

earthpigg
April 26th, 2011, 07:38 AM
I am same way on Windows and Ubuntu. I see the "New Updates!" thing come up, and I'm all like HOORAY! :D

I see the "New Updates" thing come up, and I ignore it for a month or two.

I'm really not even sure why I bother with 6-month releases.

linuxyogi
April 26th, 2011, 08:13 AM
YOU NEED IT BAD! why do you want updates so you can have something to do like fix stuff that the update breaks! and normally it does.

Normally it does????:shock:

I have used Fedora Core 1,8,9 Ubuntu 8.04. 9.04, 9.10. 10.04, 10.10. I have never noticed an update messing up something.

Are you using Arch or similar bleeding edge distros ?

linuxyogi
April 26th, 2011, 08:22 AM
How did Cariboo907 noticed that I have used an animated gif ??? :-k

http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=10720605&postcount=27

He can't be reading all our posts/threads.

There must be some automated (software) process which notifies admins/mods of such activities.

Cruel piece of software ](*,)

Rasa1111
April 26th, 2011, 08:30 AM
nah, Cariboo just read the thread, saw the image, and removed it Im sure.
He gets around! lol :P

I'm with earthpigg on this..
Updates do not excite me in the least. lol
and I often just ignore them until i have nothing better to do. :lol:
Though it's usually not a couple months like earthpigg.
Maybe a week or something. lol

Although I have been getting into the whole "virtual machine" thing and testing out other distros in it...
and I find myself opening it and playing with it quite often.
Even if I dont want to use it, or having nothing to do in it...
I find myself opening and toying around in it anyway. lol

O_o

I do have a computer addiction to though.. :lol:

edit to add~
Now I think back...
I don't think I ever really felt like I was "addicted" to my computer(s) until I started using Ubuntu a little over a year ago...

i mean, I used to read a lot online before that..
But since Ubuntu..There are just soo many more things I can do now..
So find myself at my computer more now than ever.

Thanks Ubuntu...
You have brought out the addict in me! lol :P
Really though, I do often find myself thinking.. "damn, it's like im addicted to this thing or something.."
:???:

linuxyogi
April 26th, 2011, 08:58 AM
I guess I don't need a psychiatrist after-all ?

Conclusion : There are two things I should devote my time to

1) Fresh Air

2) Learn Programming

I will appreciate more posts from "update freaks".

Thanks.

Rasa1111
April 26th, 2011, 09:05 AM
nah,
there are far worse things you could be obsessing over. lol
Probably just a little "phase" or something that you'll tire of, probably sooner than later..
But if not, so what? lol ;)

Just chalk it up to you being a geek!

well, that's what I do.. haha :lol:

Fresh air does help a lot though.
It's always a good thing when nice weather comes back..
It makes me want to get away from the computer a lot more. lol
FInally starting to get nice outside again.

Good luck, have fun!
and don't worry with what other people might think..
everyone's a freak! Just not all of them admit it. lol :P

In my experience..
Those who need to question their own sanity from time to time..
are usually the most 'sane' ones around. ;)
<3

linuxyogi
April 26th, 2011, 09:29 AM
everyone's a freak! Just not all of them admit it. lol :P

In my experience..
Those who need to question their own sanity from time to time..
are usually the most 'sane' ones around. ;)
<3

Very true.

P1C0
April 26th, 2011, 12:30 PM
I guess I don't need a psychiatrist after-all ?

Conclusion : There are two things I should devote my time to

1) Fresh Air

2) Learn Programming

I will appreciate more posts from "update freaks".

Thanks.
I like updates, if I'm not at home I usually ssh into my box and do the updates, but that's about 3 times a day maximum.
What I really love is getting e-mail notifications from DenyHosts of dictionary machines or people I've banned.
I also check the hardware a lot remotely or not by running the "sensors" command and I'm basically a control freak.
I want everything to run properly.

I think you're OK, as long as you go for walks, go out with some friends, have beers, you will find those things are really refreshing.
And yes learn python.

http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/python.png

cgroza
April 26th, 2011, 03:01 PM
Totally, Python rocks!!

BrokenKingpin
April 26th, 2011, 04:38 PM
You may need help. I actually find it irritating to get updates every day. Don't get me wrong, I love getting the latest stuff as it comes in, I just find it annoying that every time I log in I have to update. I wish it would just save them up and send them out once a week (I realize this is a security risk).

BrokenKingpin
April 26th, 2011, 04:40 PM
But now I find that even LMDE is not bleeding edge like Arch is. What's your take on this ?
LMDE is Debian Testing, which is a rolling release, but they take a lot longer to get stuff in there than Arch. Debian Testing does not even have XFCE 4.8 yet, so even Ubuntu seems to have newer packages for some things.

EDIT: Sorry for the double post.

linuxyogi
April 26th, 2011, 04:45 PM
I love getting the latest stuff as it comes in, I just find it annoying that every time I log in I have to update.

Every time you log in ? Really ? What distro are you using ? I want to install it.

The first thing I do after log in is check for updates.

Then I open my mail client.

Then I usually do some random net surfing.

I like to watch music videos a lot, I do just that next for about 2 hours or more.

Then I check for updates again.

linuxyogi
April 26th, 2011, 04:48 PM
LMDE is Debian Testing, which is a rolling release, but they take a lot longer to get stuff in there than Arch. Debian Testing does not even have XFCE 4.8 yet, so even Ubuntu seems to have newer packages for some things.

EDIT: Sorry for the double post.

Okay, then suggest me a bleeding edge distro which includes a graphical installer. AFAIK Arch doesn't include a graphical installer.

You can post as many times as you can. I love to get notification via email, thats actually my second obsession.

Thanks.

werty2010
April 26th, 2011, 05:14 PM
maybe someone already posted this, but im not gonna get into the trouble of reading all the posts(sorry):

regardless if it's an addiction or not ,you can set your system(whatever distribution you might have) to check for updates every 10 minutes.
you can also add all the repos(stable and unstable,ppas) so you can have all the latest updates,but this can also be a security risk.

thats my humble(not an expert) opinion

linuxyogi
April 26th, 2011, 05:18 PM
you can also add all the repos(stable and unstable,ppas) so you can have all the latest updates,but this can also be a security risk.

Adding some untrusted ppa may create a security risk but I doubt that adding unstable repo of the same distro can compromise security.

BrokenKingpin
April 26th, 2011, 05:32 PM
Okay, then suggest me a bleeding edge distro which includes a graphical installer. AFAIK Arch doesn't include a graphical installer.

There are a few Arch based distros that should have a graphical installer... have a look here:
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Arch_Based_Distributions_(Active)

linuxyogi
April 26th, 2011, 05:49 PM
There are a few Arch based distros that should have a graphical installer... have a look here:
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Arch_Based_Distributions_(Active (https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Arch_Based_Distributions_%28Active))

I just added the unstable repo Sid to my existing LMDE installation a upgrading as I type.

Let see how it goes. For some reason download speed is very slow, averaging at 30kbps.

Anyways, if this doesn't work I will go for an Arch based distro.

Thanks a lot.

linuxyogi
April 27th, 2011, 07:27 AM
Today I created a yahoo account mainly to chat. But no matter which room I entered its dirt & filth & vulgarity.

Again, no matter which room. I can't say that I tried each & every room but most are like that.

Just wanted to share this with you guys.

Do you guys chat ? Which service do guys use ?

People who have read my threads know that I like to have fun but this is really something else.

The world has become a dirty place. ](*,)

The mod & admins of this forum is doing a brilliant job in keeping it clean. Thank you guys.

Primefalcon
April 27th, 2011, 12:36 PM
You need to do a search for ppas such as the blender nightly ppa and such, you'll have plenty of updates then......

Johnsie
April 27th, 2011, 02:15 PM
After 6 years the novely of updates wears off, you just want something that works properly and is easy to use. If there's something you like then you don't want people messing with it (Gnome2 for me).

linuxyogi
April 27th, 2011, 07:24 PM
You need to do a search for ppas such as the blender nightly ppa and such, you'll have plenty of updates then......

Thanks for the advice but I rarely install anything outside of the official repos. I love updates but not at the expense of compromised security.

I did a Google search to find out about blender nightly repos but didn't find anything substantial.