PDA

View Full Version : Cracking down on Ubuntu bittorrent downloads!

bugreporter11
April 25th, 2011, 07:35 PM
I downloaded Ubuntu using the bittorrent and the next day I received this email from my internet service provider. I did not download any other bittorrent and I never use P2P. I'm already paying for a premium account (but apparently I would have to pay even more for bittorrent rights).

Abuse Date: Friday, April 24, 2011 3:02 PM UTC

We have received an abuse complaint for the bittorrent download made from your account.

1. P2P / Torrents are not allowed by your account. If you upgrade your account you can have access to torrents.

2. Please note downloading copyrighted material without license / permission is against our terms of service.

Failure to comply to our terms will result in suspension of your account.

Please contact us if you have any questions.

tgm4883
April 25th, 2011, 07:42 PM
I downloaded Ubuntu using the bittorrent and the next day I received this email from my internet service provider. I did not download any other bittorrent and I never use P2P. I'm already paying for a premium account (but apparently I would have to pay even more for bittorrent rights).

That's terrible, what ISP? Where do you live?

Dutch70
April 25th, 2011, 08:07 PM
Yeah, I'd be contacting them with questions & complaints!!!

JRV
April 25th, 2011, 08:08 PM
That's terrible, what ISP? Where do you live?

Yes, please let us know.

WinterMadness
April 25th, 2011, 08:10 PM
I wonder how they are able to identify that its bittorrent.

Just for fun, try doing some SSH magic, or changing the ports.

aaaantoine
April 25th, 2011, 08:16 PM
Call them and tell them the truth, and also tell them that you will not seed the file for others. Maybe they won't bug you in the future.

This right here is an example of the pirates ruining it for everybody else. -_-

|{urse
April 25th, 2011, 08:18 PM
I'd cancel service with those dingleberries asap.

KiwiNZ
April 25th, 2011, 08:20 PM

You did a bittorrent download and the next day you received an email. That means within 24 hours they had received a complaint from presumable from a third party, investigated it and sent you the email all with in 24 hours for one incident for downloading Ubuntu.

Hmmmmm this just does not seem to add up.

Horseboy
April 25th, 2011, 08:22 PM
ISP name please, I would like to shoot them in the head :D

ki4jgt
April 25th, 2011, 08:23 PM
From what I read, it simply sounds like they don't like the extra bandwidth which is associated with MOST torrent files. It does not specifically identify any particular torrents, it simply says they don't want him using all their bandwidth, but if he'll pay an extra fee they'll turn their heads the other way :-(
Then it gives a warning which says they are not responsible for the file if it was illegally shared from someone else. (Which Ubuntu wasn't)

wilee-nilee
April 25th, 2011, 08:24 PM
You did a bittorrent download and the next day you received an email. That means within 24 hours they had received a complaint from presumable from a third party, investigated it and sent you the email all with in 24 hours for one incident for downloading Ubuntu.

That was my first thought, along with the bean count....etc

Quadunit404
April 25th, 2011, 08:28 PM
There's one thing for sure: it didn't come from Canonical.

Ask for the claimant info from your ISP, and if it isn't Canonical (which is actually really likely as Canonical almost NEVER sends out claims like this for torrenting Ubuntu) alert them that the claimant was making a false statement as it is legal to distribute Ubuntu and a large amount of similarly-licensed (termed "free" licenses by the Free Software Foundation due to their licenses distribution rights) software over BitTorrent.

Dry Lips
April 25th, 2011, 08:31 PM
from what i read, it simply sounds like they don't like the extra bandwidth which is associated with most torrent files. It does not specifically identify any particular torrents, it simply says they don't want him using all their bandwidth, but if he'll pay an extra fee they'll turn their heads the other way :-(
then it gives a warning which says they are not responsible for the file if it was illegally shared from someone else. (which ubuntu wasn't)

+1!!!

Horseboy
April 25th, 2011, 08:31 PM

Ask for the claimant info from your ISP, and if it isn't Canonical (which is actually really likely as Canonical almost NEVER sends out claims like this for torrenting Ubuntu) alert them that the claimant was making a false statement as it is legal to distribute Ubuntu and a large amount of similarly-licensed (termed "free" licenses by the Free Software Foundation due to their licenses distribution rights) software over BitTorrent.

But the problem is that his ISP won't allow bittorrent downloads, legal or illegal.

tlcstat
April 25th, 2011, 08:44 PM
Greetings,
Not buying it! I might have been born yesterday but I wasn't born today! I would like to see a cut and paste of the email with headers.
tlcstat

Fedz
April 25th, 2011, 08:54 PM

Agreed!

The thread title & the 1 post = Bill Gates messin around in retirement maybe :-({|=

Besides why wouldn't you just download via normal http :confused:

Dutch70
April 25th, 2011, 09:07 PM
That was my first thought, along with the bean count....etc

Yupp, not to mention "posted & gone"...It was worth creating an account for and posting, but not sticking around to see what anyone said about it.

The OP obviously knows the thread title will come up in google searches & people won't bother to read the comments.

wizard10000
April 25th, 2011, 09:15 PM
I wonder how they are able to identify that its bittorrent.

Simple. BT is a protocol same as http, ftp, nntp and so on. Any device that can do even simple packet analysis can identify it.

Just for fun, try doing some SSH magic, or changing the ports.

Um - no. BT protocol on a different port is still BT.

SeijiSensei
April 25th, 2011, 09:34 PM
Welcome to the world of "deep packet inspection (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deep_packet_inspection)" where ISPs can routinely look at even the payloads of TCP/IP packets.

In my ideal world, ISPs could only look at the TCP, UDP, and IP headers, not the contents of the packets themselves. I'd make that a hallmark of any "net neutrality" legislation, but it's so far removed from the public debate that it will never happen.

ISPs should be regulated as "common carriers" with no DPI technology allowed. They should be dumb pipes as the designers of the Internet intended. All the intelligence is supposed to reside in the nodes. Once an application sends a packet, the ISPs responsibility should be delivery plain and simple.

"You may say I'm a dreamer..."

u.rusty
April 25th, 2011, 09:42 PM
Using a proxy server should prevent future "complaints."

wojox
April 25th, 2011, 09:50 PM

You must have great speeds to download http as fast or faster than torrents. Where do I sign up?

red_Marvin
April 25th, 2011, 10:16 PM

Ask for the claimant info from your ISP, and if it isn't Canonical (which is actually really likely as Canonical almost NEVER sends out claims like this for torrenting Ubuntu)...
"almost"?
Canoical is even providing torrent access to the install files themselves, why should they ever send out a claim for torrenting Ubuntu?

Ref:
http://www.ubuntu.com/desktop/get-ubuntu/alternative-download#bt

Paqman
April 25th, 2011, 10:18 PM

Torrents are usually faster, especially close to release dates. Downloading over http on release day is painfully slow.
Torrents do error-checking as they download, so you'll never have to re-do a whole 700MB download because part of it was corrupt
Using torrents saves bandwidth bills so that Canonical can put the money to better use.

Really, why would you use http?

nothingspecial
April 25th, 2011, 10:29 PM
Read it again.

You have violated your contract.

Your contract does not allow p2p or torrent downloading.

Read the last line again.........

.........contact them if you have any questions.

zipperback
April 25th, 2011, 10:30 PM
The original poster was just trolling and trying to get a heated response from people.

bugreporter11
First Cup of Ubuntu

Beans: 1

They joined this month and have only one post, which just happened to be about a "cracking down on ubuntu bittorrent downloads".

Also, it's obvious that they're making it up because that copy and paste from the "email" they provided was obviously bogus.

Abuse Date: Friday, April 24, 2011 3:02 PM UTC

April 24th, 2011 was EASTER SUNDAY, Friday would have been April 22nd, 2011.

They're just trolling for heated responses.

- zipperback
:popcorn:

zipperback
April 25th, 2011, 10:31 PM
Admin can we just close this thread now? Thank you.
- zipperback

benerivo
April 25th, 2011, 10:32 PM
Read it again.

You have violated your contract.

Your contract does not allow p2p or torrent downloading.

Read the last line again.........

.........contact them if you have any questions.

Agreed, it's got nothing to do with the OP doing anything illegal, or anyone complaining. Fact.

On another matter, i use http for an ubuntu download as it is faster for me than a torrent.

nothingspecial
April 25th, 2011, 10:33 PM
Zipperback....... you click the report abuse thingy :D

tgm4883
April 25th, 2011, 10:34 PM
Reported

zipperback
April 25th, 2011, 10:40 PM
Zipperback....... you click the report abuse thingy :D

Already done. :)

- zipperback