PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Help with Ubuntu 11.04

meandtheboys55
April 25th, 2011, 05:36 PM
Hi Everyone ! I just decided to try the New Ubuntu 11.04 from my trusted Ubuntu 10.10 64bits...
First How do I know that this version is 64bit as well as it seems way slower to booth...
I really much like some of the features of that new OS such as the Cairo Dock (I used to have Macs) but I couldn't load my fav browser Chrome into it and the music controller Audacious doesn't seem to connect with my Rythmbox player...So how could I change that ?
And also my other main issue with this OS is that I can get the side Icons menu to auto hide ( like the dock)unless there's a window open to push it aside. you see I like a clean desktop with nothing showing unless I bring it up like I had with Ubuntu 10.10
is there a way for me to customize that ?
& finally if I decide to revert to Ubuntu 10.10 how can I do that from my previously save version ???

Mark Phelps
April 25th, 2011, 08:27 PM
Hi Everyone ! I just decided to try the New Ubuntu 11.04 from my trusted Ubuntu 10.10 64bits...
First How do I know that this version is 64bit as well as it seems way slower to booth...
I really much like some of the features of that new OS such as the Cairo Dock (I used to have Macs) but I couldn't load my fav browser Chrome into it and the music controller Audacious doesn't seem to connect with my Rythmbox player...So how could I change that ?
And also my other main issue with this OS is that I can get the side Icons menu to auto hide ( like the dock)unless there's a window open to push it aside. you see I like a clean desktop with nothing showing unless I bring it up like I had with Ubuntu 10.10
is there a way for me to customize that ?
& finally if I decide to revert to Ubuntu 10.10 how can I do that from my previously save version ???

Last first -- one of the reasons NOT to upgrade to a BETA version -- there is no easy way to rollback to a previous version. You have to do a clean reinstall.

As to the first question, Ubuntu 11.04 is still in testing. You will get better and faster responses if you post your 11.04 questions to the Natty Development forum. That is located at: Other Community Discussions --> Development & Programming --> Natty Narwhal Testing and Discussion

Good Luck

sheepscrossing
May 2nd, 2011, 03:15 AM
Wait a minute! I received an update request from Ubuntu 10.10 Update Manager to instll 11.04 so it can't still be in Beta. Is it possible to roll it back to 10.10?