PDA

View Full Version : Cairo instead of Shell or Unity?

danbuter
April 25th, 2011, 05:27 PM
Once 11.04 hits, can I just uninstall Shell and Unity, and use Cairo-dock instead? Or will this cause problems with Nautilus?

BrokenKingpin
April 25th, 2011, 05:42 PM
From the login screen you can choose a normal Gnome session without Unity, at which point you can install Cairo as normal.

PuddingKnife
April 25th, 2011, 07:52 PM
I feel your pain. I really WANT to like Unity, but that launcher is just so boring! And its stuck on the left. I prefer customization, so Im going to skip upgrading till we hear some more news about Ocelot.

Till then my 10.10 box with Docky will suit me just fine.

juancarlospaco
April 25th, 2011, 08:25 PM
Title is wrong, Cairo is just a library, dont do anything itself.

PuddingKnife
April 25th, 2011, 08:54 PM
Title is wrong, Cairo is just a library, dont do anything itself.

Did you read the post? I think everyones conscious of what the OP was talking about.

juancarlospaco
April 25th, 2011, 09:40 PM
Did you read the post? I think everyones conscious of what the OP was talking about.

I agree with you, but still

NormanFLinux
April 25th, 2011, 11:16 PM
Its dumbed down... I figured out some things but not others... adding to places doing work with Unity 2D even following the freedesktop rules.

Its usuable but not there yet.

d3v1150m471c
April 25th, 2011, 11:26 PM
you should be able to select gnome-classic at the login screen on the new ubuntu. I have no idea how classic it actually is or if it's been mutated by unity. If you're hellbent on running it, it's worth a shot.

NormanFLinux
April 25th, 2011, 11:35 PM
Its still GNOME 2.32.

The backlash at Canonical and GNOME has been less over their new GUIs as opposed to the fact they locked the majority of the world's computer users out of the benefits of the new operating system. People don't like being told they need the latest and greatest in hardware to run an operating system. They appear to have learned nothing from the disaster Microsoft had with Windows Aero. If you are going to bring out a shiny new toy, don't just reserve it for the select few.

neu5eeCh
April 25th, 2011, 11:42 PM
Till then my 10.10 box with Docky will suit me just fine.

Same here. No panel. Not titlebars. Docky.

G3 doesn't approach the ease of use on my system. Unity doesn't match the efficiency.

There's absolutely no reason or advantage, for me, in switching to G3 or Unity.

I'm trying to set up the same layout in Xubuntu so I can still use the latest OS.

handy
April 26th, 2011, 03:50 AM
From what I read in the Cafe, it seems to me that there will be a number of Ubuntu users jump to Mint or Xubuntu.

Roughly 200 users will bring Mint up to No.1 on the Distrowatch top 100 (for all the Distrowatch top 100 is worth :)).

I'll find it interesting to watch those numbers over the remainder of this year. As 11.10 apparently removes the option to boot into the Ubuntu version of classic Gnome.

Khakilang
April 26th, 2011, 04:41 AM
I think practically you can do whatever you want as long as you are comfortable with it. That is thing about Linux. Flexibility.