PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Is it posible to take an image of ubuntu 10.10 desktop installation ?

hoboy
April 25th, 2011, 03:17 PM
I have a machine with ubuntu 10.10 desktop installed.
Plus lots of other thinks like development tools, I like it the way it is now,, now I have bought a new computer, for not to go through all the installations I have done on my current computer, I am wandering if one can make an image of my machine, that include all the installed applications, development tools, then just install that image on the new computer ?

mörgæs
April 25th, 2011, 03:25 PM
Yes, you could try Clonezilla.

hoboy
April 25th, 2011, 03:30 PM
Yes, you could try Clonezilla.

well I don't know what it is, but I will google now.
Tks

collisionystm
April 25th, 2011, 03:35 PM
I have a machine with ubuntu 10.10 desktop installed.
Plus lots of other thinks like development tools, I like it the way it is now,, now I have bought a new computer, for not to go through all the installations I have done on my current computer, I am wandering if one can make an image of my machine, that include all the installed applications, development tools, then just install that image on the new computer ?

Just move your harddrive into the new computer. It will work with no problems.

Use the drive that came with the new comp as storage.

ChrisWells
April 25th, 2011, 03:57 PM
I use Acronis but it's not free. Just boot up from disc and choose full disk backup. It takes ~16 seconds for me to make an image of my whole drive. Not sure if free alternatives are as fast, but less than 20 seconds to either backup or restore whole drive is great for testing things out

prshah
April 25th, 2011, 04:01 PM
Please see [SOLVED] Exact duplicate of entire HDD (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=874643) (Specifically Post #7)