PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] can we upgrade from 32 bit 10.10 to 64 bits without fresh install ?

rvchari
April 25th, 2011, 05:31 AM
hi guys,
here i am asking a wierd question...
i am usuing 32 bits 10.10 and its functioning perfectly well with my customization and apps that i need for my day to day activity.
i wanted to ask can i upgrade it to 64 bits without going thru the process of fresh install ? if i can then how do i go about the process.

apart from ubuntu base apps, i am using wine 1.3 for some windows apps. will the programs go buggy or will it adapt to 64 bits seamlessly after the upgrade ?

i wish to try 64 bits to feel the difference... nothing specific on 64 bits usage (my current 32 bit is working fine as of now) i honestly hope i dont have to go thru the process of fresh install !!!

NightwishFan
April 25th, 2011, 05:33 AM
I am quite sure you will need to do a fresh install.

rvchari
April 25th, 2011, 05:36 AM
I am quite sure you will need to do a fresh install.

if i go for fresh install, it means i have to install wine and other progs fresh all over again, right ?
moreover, what happens to my home directory partition ? does it need to be recreated or it will sync with 64 bits ?

Hedgehog1
April 25th, 2011, 05:37 AM
+1 on a fresh install is your only option. Sorry!

The Hedge

:KS

poodoopealeoaph
April 25th, 2011, 05:43 AM
if i go for fresh install, it means i have to install wine and other progs fresh all over again, right ?
moreover, what happens to my home directory partition ? does it need to be recreated or it will sync with 64 bits ?

correcto man.. sorry. At the very least you can just write down a list of everything you need before you do your fresh install so you can be sure that you don't miss anything and also, be sure to back up anything you need, files wise.

Sef
April 25th, 2011, 05:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rvchari
correcto man.. sorry. At the very least you can just write down a list of everything you need before you do your fresh install so you can be sure that you don't miss anything and also, be sure to back up anything you need, files wise.

Back your data up before doing a fresh install. If done correctly and you have a separate home partition, it should be fine, but things do not always go as planned.

fdrake
April 25th, 2011, 05:50 AM
fresh install for sure. don't recommed to install the 64 version if everything is working fine for since for the 64bit the solutions are a lit bit different and slower to handle if you have a problem. check the forum!

NightwishFan
April 25th, 2011, 05:52 AM
You can back up the hidden configuration in your home folder. That doesnt mean it will work right though there is a good chance it will.

ghostborg
April 25th, 2011, 06:14 AM
Make sure you do not format your /home partition just reinstall to your root partition and make sure format /home is unchecked.

rvchari
April 25th, 2011, 11:11 AM
Make sure you do not format your /home partition just reinstall to your root partition and make sure format /home is unchecked.

i have a seperate home partition. i think i ll follow this method. by the way, how do i go abt it ? just boot of the 64 bit iso and go for fresh install in the root partition ? or is there a sudo apt-get upgrade command line ?

dino99
April 25th, 2011, 04:16 PM
why such decision ?

http://blog.pault.ag/post/3107062816/why-64-bit-computing-is-really-dumb-right-now

Blasphemist
April 25th, 2011, 05:15 PM
You'll see people say you should upgrade and those who say not. I'm not an engineer that could say definitively. I did go to 64. I backed up home to another drive. During the 64 bit install from the iso I was given a choice to upgrade and try to not loose any files or settings. I chose not to do that but rather a clean install. I then copied back my documents, pictures and music. I didn't know if there would be a difference in settings for some things and didn't know for sure that the saving settings wouldn't end up causing problems. Also, part of doing this for me was to clean things up from much noob dinking that left me with who knows what for settings even if I wasn't having any big problems. Going 64 bit was just an extra for me. It hasn't led to any problems for me and I may have better performance but I don't have any hard data to back that up.

rvchari
April 25th, 2011, 06:45 PM
You'll see people say you should upgrade and those who say not. I'm not an engineer that could say definitively. I did go to 64. I backed up home to another drive. During the 64 bit install from the iso I was given a choice to upgrade and try to not loose any files or settings. I chose not to do that but rather a clean install. I then copied back my documents, pictures and music. I didn't know if there would be a difference in settings for some things and didn't know for sure that the saving settings wouldn't end up causing problems. Also, part of doing this for me was to clean things up from much noob dinking that left me with who knows what for settings even if I wasn't having any big problems. Going 64 bit was just an extra for me. It hasn't led to any problems for me and I may have better performance but I don't have any hard data to back that up.

i ll follow what you say and with your experience...

will do it soon and post on this thread....