PDA

View Full Version : Quickbooks finally on linux

cheesekiller
April 25th, 2011, 03:33 AM
My company is now completely switched over to Ubuntu only. Because Quickbooks online as of their new support for Google chrome and chromium. They give you a warning telling you that they do not officially support Linux yet and that if you experience any issues to please post them on their forums BUT IT WORKS!!!!!!! I haven't had any issues so far and this is simply wonderful. I have always heard the number one complaint from businesses looking to switch being that they can't use Quickbooks...... well now that complaint is over! I am certainly ecstatic over this because just 2 weeks ago our only windows 7 computer died (due to viruses despite the anti-virus we were SUBSCRIBED TO!) and we only had an upgrade cd and without a vista or xp disc we ALMOST had to spend money on a new windows 7 disc *cringe*. anyways just putting this information out there so that any small businesses out there looking to switch can test it!

Thewhistlingwind
April 25th, 2011, 03:45 AM
Glad it worked. :)

cheesekiller
April 25th, 2011, 03:50 AM
yea I'm writing intuit a thank you letter right now. I want them to know how happy me and the rest of my company is that we no longer have to boot into windows and that we can now access our
Quickbooks from any pc even our mobile ones!

If anyone else is enjoying this new support I totally suggest writing them thank you letters so that they know Linux users like us are VERY HAPPY to have support!

If you need to import your data from a .qbb file and you don't want to use windows then use playonlinux(you can install this from the software center) to auto-install IE7 and use it to import it! you only have to import once lol

ulfj
April 25th, 2011, 04:46 AM
That is good news as I have had clients that were hesitant to switch to Ubuntu because of this, I have been using Zoho invoice for quite some time along with my clients. I guess they are too late to get my money though!

HermanAB
April 25th, 2011, 09:46 AM
Eh? I've used QB on Wine on Linux since about 1998.

The trick was to stay 2 or three versions behind. Just don't try to run the latest version of QB and it would work fine.

Docaltmed
April 25th, 2011, 11:21 AM
My company tried that online thing in 2009. It was a trainwreck. At the time, they had an unpublished file size limit which, when we uploaded our data, made their system choke.

We subsequently went with gnucash. It does everything we needed from quickbooks except that it's free, and it works, and it doesn't hide *my* financial data in *their* proprietary format and stuff.

forrestcupp
April 25th, 2011, 04:03 PM
It's a step in the right direction, but it still doesn't do any good if you rely on Windows-only 3rd party plugins. We depend on PaperSave Plus for scanning all our documents for paperless filing. It uses a Microsoft SQL database. There's no way in the world that's ever going to work in Linux, even with Wine.

Buying PaperSave Plus ends up being much cheaper than paying Intuit's monthly storage fees, then losing all your vital, sensitive information if you ever decide to quit paying them.

SeijiSensei
April 25th, 2011, 06:04 PM
My company tried that online thing in 2009. It was a trainwreck. At the time, they had an unpublished file size limit which, when we uploaded our data, made their system choke.

What kinds of companies think it's a smart idea to put their financials online? I wouldn't trust them to Intuit, just as I think no business should trust their documents to Google Docs. I actually have a bit more confidence in Google to protect your information than Intuit, but not a whole lot more.

Look at how the recent attack against Epsilon (http://httpd.apache.org/docs/current/rewrite/flags.html#flag_r) was carried out. It appears an employee was fooled into downloading a trojan disguised as wedding photos. What operating system do you think is running on the desktop of the average Intuit employee? Hint: I doubt it's Linux.

donkyhotay
April 25th, 2011, 07:24 PM

We subsequently went with gnucash. It does everything we needed from quickbooks except that it's free, and it works, and it doesn't hide *my* financial data in *their* proprietary format and stuff.

Never used quicken but I've found gnucash works fine for keeping track of my personal finances.

forrestcupp
April 25th, 2011, 09:30 PM
Dang! I just checked it out, and Quickbooks Online is definitely not the way to go. In just 10 months of paying for a subscription, I will have paid more than what I paid for Quickbooks Premier and all of my 3rd party plugins. Then I'd still have to keep paying forever, and still not have all the functionality that I have now.

No way.

Plumtreed
April 25th, 2011, 11:11 PM
It is good to hear that Quickbook works! I don't think you have to have a 'web-based' storage with Quickbooks.

In any event,I happily run my very small business with a web based accounting package...Saasu. Works well!

curuxz
April 27th, 2011, 09:40 AM
I virtualise an xp machine using open-box to get quickbooks 2010 working on my linux machine. It really is a great system, glad they are opening it up to more platforms by going web based.