PDA

View Full Version : which fantasy tv series you suggest me to watch?

legolas_w
April 24th, 2011, 05:16 PM
Hi,

Today I watched the first episode of Game of Thrones tv series and I found it superb. I am wondering what other tv series are out there in the same theme and quality.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Game_of_Thrones

Thanks.

WinterMadness
April 24th, 2011, 05:35 PM
if by fantasy you mean medieval fantasy, i dunno, i hate that stuff as it glorifies a backwards time =X

if not:

battlestar galactica. its all on netflix.

gnomeuser
April 24th, 2011, 05:52 PM
Hi,

Today I watched the first episode of Game of Thrones tv series and I found it superb. I am wondering what other tv series are out there in the same theme and quality.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Game_of_Thrones

Thanks.

There really isn't a show like Game of Thrones out there. The closest you will get is likely Rome but GoT is a major investment and nothing matches it today in theme or production quality.

Perhaps if Steven Ericsson's Malazan books were ever given the same treatment you'd have something that could compete.

The Borgias is also very enjoyable, as one can expect from anything about a pope it is filled with sex, murder and general amoral behavior.

el_koraco
April 24th, 2011, 05:55 PM
There was some talk about making a movie, then a TV series out of Chain of dogs, but I think we will see working ATI video drivers for Linux before that happens.

Dustin2128
April 24th, 2011, 05:56 PM
Network news.

3Miro
April 24th, 2011, 08:01 PM
if by fantasy you mean medieval fantasy, i dunno, i hate that stuff as it glorifies a backwards time =X

if not:

battlestar galactica. its all on netflix.

What I liked about Game of Thrones was that it did not glorify backwards times. Quite to the contrary, their world is quite medieval and gruesome, aka realistic.

I have only seen the first episode so they can still mess it up.

Other than that, I can't think of any other major production like it (Camelot? maybe)

qamelian
April 24th, 2011, 08:12 PM
Perhaps if Steven Ericsson's Malazan books were ever given the same treatment you'd have something that could compete.
I'd wet myself. I like Martin's books, but I like Erikson's an order of magnitude better. :)

gnomeuser
April 24th, 2011, 08:20 PM
I'd wet myself. I like Martin's books, but I like Erikson's an order of magnitude better. :)

I've only just started reading Gardens of the Moon but this must happen. Well that and audiobooks of the series, I am a huge audiobook fan.

madjr
April 24th, 2011, 08:36 PM
hmm, GOT sounds like it would make a good MMO/RPG :)

those WoW, warhammer or dragonage count ??! .. nah jk :D

anyway about series, i recently heard of

Riese: kingdom falling (http://www.google.com/search?client=ubuntu&channel=fs&q=riese+kingdom+falling&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8)

i think it has webisodes available. It doesnt have as HUGE budget as GOT, so i wouldnt compare them by "graphics", but the story seems interesting. Also am not sure if its totally medieval, but has like a mix into it.

RiceMonster
April 24th, 2011, 10:30 PM
Network news.

Nice.

doas777
April 24th, 2011, 10:33 PM
may not be quite what you call fantasy, but there was a canadian/us show called 'Kings' a year or two ago that was quite intriguing. too bad it only went one season. The BBC has had a few historical dramas in recent years, including 'Robin Hood' and 'Merlin'.
hth

Retlol
April 24th, 2011, 10:51 PM
Doctor Who, what else?

Supernatural and Merlin are pretty good 2.

Spartacus is ok if you're into 300 style fights.

el_koraco
April 24th, 2011, 11:02 PM
I've only just started reading Gardens of the Moon

You're in for a couple of really cool months. Do be warned, you'll be spending a great deal of your free time reading the books, and by the end of the second volume you'll actively be thinking about Jaghut and T'lan Imass.

My my.

qamelian
April 25th, 2011, 12:16 AM
You're in for a couple of really cool months. Do be warned, you'll be spending a great deal of your free time reading the books, and by the end of the second volume you'll actively be thinking about Jaghut and T'lan Imass.

My my.
They are addictive books, aren't they!

el_koraco
April 25th, 2011, 12:32 AM
The MBOF is among the best literary works of the previous century. Its importance for the fantasy genre is also hard to measure. Yuu can call it a paradigm shift. The man actually fashioned a self contained universe, in which the relations were about as complicated as they are in the real world. I just can't wait for the last one in the series and some Forkrul Assail action.

qamelian
April 25th, 2011, 12:47 AM
The MBOF is among the best literary works of the previous century. Its importance for the fantasy genre is also hard to measure. Yuu can call it a paradigm shift. The man actually fashioned a self contained universe, in which the relations were about as complicated as they are in the real world. I just can't wait for the last one in the series and some Forkrul Assail action.
The final book is out in trade paperback now. It's called "The Crippled God".

el_koraco
April 25th, 2011, 12:50 AM
I know, I just haven't had the time to do it yet.

samalex
April 25th, 2011, 10:58 PM
Network news.

Hah, ain't that the truth. Especially Fox News which is pretty much 100% fantasy anymore.