PDA

View Full Version : Unity for regular computers?

Lp12
April 24th, 2011, 05:04 PM
I understand that many people try to like Unity yet, but the fact I realized is that Unity is more meant for a different type of computer so-called 'pads' computers without a mouse, which instead uses touch-screens .. Sure, you can also find Unity in some positive things for the average computer owner, but unfortunately the system fits poorly to conventional computer in such a large degree, however, that the system itself is cumbersome to use .. The fact that Ubuntu has chosen to let the old type of shell Gnome 2 had to be left with is probably very important to everyone still going to be happy! It may also be that they've done it for that very reason that the great gnome 2 is just for regular PCs and the new Unity for something else, probably pads maybe? Unity may be fine in the future, but right now it does not feel Unity as a good alternative to regular computers, sorry not for me yet. :-?

/Lp12

cariboo
April 26th, 2011, 03:25 PM
Moved to the Cafe, as it isn't a support question.

Copper Bezel
April 26th, 2011, 03:45 PM
Unity is very similar to Gnome Shell, so it's the general direction Gnome is going in. Neither is intended specifically for touch interfaces and neither would really work on a tablet in default form, although Unity does make some concessions to small screens. (Unity is extremely keyboard-friendly, though, if you haven't played with these features much.) Unity is also more conventional than Shell, particularly in keeping Compiz but also in using a taskbar/dock style of task management and retaining the "minimize" function, both of which Gnome Shell drops.

Obviously, there are many other environments you could try if the present direction of Gnome isn't suiting your workflow.

Roasted
April 26th, 2011, 04:37 PM
I hate tablets.
I use Unity on my "regular computers".
I like Unity.

I can't really offer much more to say. It grew on me. I was a hater but now I'm a lover.

msrinath80
April 26th, 2011, 06:55 PM
Neither is intended specifically for touch interfaces and neither would really work on a tablet in default form, although Unity does make some concessions to small screens.

That's not exactly what Mark Shuttleworth feels:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YUAzicy_01o&feature=fvst

Pay attention to what he says from time [26.38] to time [27.28]. The big picture (according to Mark) is that in a few years time, the only "laptops" that will be sold will be touch-enabled, and thus Unity (with its "utouch" support) is intended to cater to that paradigm.

Lets face it. There are better UIs out there that will better cater to the currently available laptops and desktops. All I'm saying is that Unity/Gnome Shell is probably not the optimal UI choice for desktops.

aguafina
April 26th, 2011, 07:09 PM
I would never use Unity on a regular size screen/PC as it was made as a stepping stone between Phones and desktops according to M.Shuttleworth. so for medium size devices it would be great.

screaminj3sus
April 26th, 2011, 07:10 PM
Unity may not be ideal for a desktop computer, I agree. but for most regular old keyboard powered laptops I think its quite good. Its screen space saving features are excellent and its extremely keyboard friendly which is great on a laptop, because doing everything with the trackpad is a pita, and I don't carry a mouse everywhere I go. I love unity on my 15 inch laptop.

And tbh unity doesn't really seem designed only for touch interfaces to me. The only element that really seems touch optmized is the dash. Plenty of desktop users used docks before, I did. And I always used something like gnome-do and synapse for my program launching rather then going through the menus, which I can now do with the dash. The dash isn't exactly Ideal for the mouse but because it is also search driven I, and I find I never navigate it using the cursor.

By default unity would not be great on a touch device. Global menu would be a pita to use with a touch device, many buttons are too small (min/max/close for example). Gnome 3 seems more touch optimized than unity. In its current form unity seems simply optimized for smaller screens.

I like unity but I think the main problem is it lacks focus. In its current state it wouldn't be great with a touch device, and its not ideal for a desktop. I think a proper solution would be something akin to what Microsoft is doing with windows 8, having a "twin UI". Two separate UI's, one optimized for small/touch devices and one optimized for desktops. Trying to be a jack of all trades never works too well and only focusing on one thing alienates users.

I guess we'll have to wait and see what canonical does with 11.10

forrestcupp
April 26th, 2011, 08:04 PM
Moved to the Cafe, as it isn't a support question.

Why didn't you kill two birds with one stone and move it straight to Recurring Discussions?

Copper Bezel
April 26th, 2011, 10:17 PM
Maybe he's waiting for the point at which it stops being about the interface method at all, to merge it with the Unity megathread. = )

Pay attention to what he says from time [26.38] to time [27.28]. The big picture (according to Mark) is that in a few years time, the only "laptops" that will be sold will be touch-enabled, and thus Unity (with its "utouch" support) is intended to cater to that paradigm.

Unity in its present form needs a keyboard and a mouse. It's pushing in that direction so it'll be less of a leap, but it's not tablet-ready now, even if utouch was "finished" tomorrow.

Johnsie
April 26th, 2011, 11:26 PM
I've already recieved a refraction for my opinion of Unity. To put it politely, I don't really like it.

FuturePilot
April 27th, 2011, 05:27 AM
I can't really offer much more to say. It grew on me. I was a hater but now I'm a lover.

And this is why people need to actually give something new a fair chance. There's so many instances where someone used Unity for a whole 10 seconds before deciding that is was crap.

Roasted
April 27th, 2011, 01:26 PM
And this is why people need to actually give something new a fair chance. There's so many instances where someone used Unity for a whole 10 seconds before deciding that is was crap.

Quite honestly, I think this constitutes for about 90% of the "hater" category.

One guy I spoke to installed it yesterday. Once installed I heard him log in. Right away, "how do I remove this sidebar thing?"

You don't. That's Unity.

"I hate it. How can I get rid of it?"

You... don't.

"Guess I'll go back to Debian."

Fine. Have at it. Way to give it a real chance mister "power user."