PDA

View Full Version : What are Ubuntu users like?

SuperFreak
April 24th, 2011, 02:51 PM
This article describes PC users as old and stody whereas MAC users are cool and young. It leaves open the question what are Linux users like? I think as Linux is used on PCs but uses a Unix based OS similar to MACs that we are exhibit the best of both worlds; young but experienced, cool but conservative in attitude, etc. What do you think?

http://www.cnn.com/2011/TECH/web/04/22/mac.pc.users/index.html

wojox
April 24th, 2011, 02:55 PM
After being a member and user of Ubuntu Linux I would have to say that it's a melting pot of individuals here.

Your question should have been "What are Linux users like". That's a more fair comparison.

SuperFreak
April 24th, 2011, 03:02 PM
Corrected. Clearly it was wrong to focus on one distro

sffvba[e0rt
April 24th, 2011, 03:20 PM
Well the make-up of Ubuntu users will vary considerably from those using Gentoo (if you look at the group in total)...

So I guess there are two questions: "How is a typical Ubuntu user like ?" and "How is a typical Linux user like?" ... As I don't like to be placed in a box or do that to others I will simply say... You will typically find an Ubuntu user running some varition of the Ubuntu distro on a PC they own or frequently use.

alaukikyo
You should have it as GNU/Linux users since linux is just the kernel .

and i think it is too stupid to generalize users as there's a vast variety of individuals using GNU/Linux .

KegHead
Hi!

See my avatar.

KegHead

Gibbs
April 24th, 2011, 03:36 PM
On the user group mailing list I use it tends to be young people and old people with less in-between from what i've noticed.

I think Ubuntu would be different from other distributions in terms of generalisation. For me personally I used Ubuntu, along with other Linux distros, because I perceived it to be better, faster to get things done (with and without a shell) and thirdly because its accessible due to it being free in price.

I only really grasped free, as in free software, and its importance when setting up and managing servers. I would imagine the importance of "freedom" among user bases varies for each distro too.

At the end of the day its a very mixed bunch as you would expect. The only thing I can imagine, even with Ubuntu, is that users stem from other users who have interests in computers which isn't necessarily the case with other operating systems.

In terms of Mac; Mac is for young people who want to be cool and old people who want to be young, both of whom aren't ;).

Contrary to popular belief I don't think they have vast amount of disposable income similar to how a lot of iPhone buyers come from low income backgrounds. Its street cred for people that don't know a lot about technology and the fact that they can get better for free. I say give a Linux distro a shiny logo with some silver hardware and market it for 2 grand a pop and see what happens.

ctrlmd
April 24th, 2011, 03:39 PM
normal human beings who like to change a lot ?
i guess

AlphaLexman
April 24th, 2011, 03:41 PM
They can be eccentric musicians too. See this (http://www.junauza.com/2011/04/lady-gaga-goes-gaga-over-ubuntu.html)!

sffvba[e0rt
April 24th, 2011, 03:46 PM
They can be eccentric musicians too. See this (http://www.junauza.com/2011/04/lady-gaga-goes-gaga-over-ubuntu.html)!

April Fools anyone?

Timmer1240
April 24th, 2011, 03:48 PM
I use Linux because its a way better security model and seems a lot more stable than xp ever was for me.I enjoy using it it gets the job done with minimal hassle no virus scanning malware removal defragging needed constantly like in xp.One thing about windows I got pretty good at troubleshooting software problems after using it for years but I just want a trouble free OS.My wife uses win 7 which isnt bad but I still have to tune it up for her once in a while.

barbedsaber
April 24th, 2011, 06:34 PM
I read an analysis once that suggested that compared to windows and mac users, linux users were better at solving a problem using logical reasoning, but they were also more likely to have psychological disorders :S

it was a test done by a university, but I can't find it for the life of me

Thewhistlingwind
April 24th, 2011, 06:37 PM
Read the thread "How old are you and what do you use ubuntu for?" The answers range from 10 to 90+. I think that's exactly how it should be, ageism is a terrible phenomena, in both directions.

christoph411
April 24th, 2011, 08:29 PM
but they were also more likely to have psychological disorders :s

8-[ 8-[ 8-[ :-\"

Rachel_Eliason
April 24th, 2011, 08:32 PM
I read an analysis once that suggested that compared to windows and mac users, linux users were better at solving a problem using logical reasoning, but they were also more likely to have psychological disorders :S

it was a test done by a university, but I can't find it for the life of me

My voices told me about that study...:D:D:D:D

Horseboy
April 24th, 2011, 08:35 PM
*nix users are intelligent, mannerly and helpful (most of the time :P). Glad to be a part in the Linux world :D

tushargkwd
April 24th, 2011, 08:41 PM
Ubuntu users are : Wise and helping......helping the community of Ubuntu users and being smart Human beings :)

oldos2er
April 24th, 2011, 10:10 PM
I am middle-aged, stodgy yet cool.

3Miro
April 24th, 2011, 10:30 PM
First of all, Mac is a PC. PC is a type of hardware architecture, which is currently dominant all over. Many people run Ubuntu on their Macs and Mac OSX can run on most Windows machines (it is illegal however).

The difference is the OS and OS only.

I don't know what Mac and Windows users are like, but Ubuntu (and Linux in general) stands for Freedom. Hence the users are usually people that value their freedom. This is probably the only thing we have in common.

As a result, you will see people form all ages and background using Ubuntu and other Linux distributions. Some distributions have specific philosophies behind them, which attracts one type of people or another, Ubuntu aims to be for everyone, so Ubuntu community is the most diverse (also the largest).

earthpigg
April 24th, 2011, 10:43 PM
Instead of addressing the logical fallacies and false assumptions in the question, I'll instead have some fun with those problems.

What are Ubuntu users like?

I'm a former Marine rifleman and combat vet - Battle of Falluja.

My roomate ran convoys for a year in and around Baghdad back in '05-'06, and patched up the broken bodies that resulted from that activity.

My mom is a woman in late-middle-age that earns a living as a substance abuse counselor for male convicts and ex-convicts, many of them with records of violence.

All have at least one computer with only Ubuntu installed. So, Ubuntu users are bada__es. Some are, at least.

:P

Giant Speck
April 24th, 2011, 11:12 PM
I use all three operating systems, and I certainly don't think I want to be thrown into an overgeneralized stereotype...

Random_Dude
April 24th, 2011, 11:15 PM
After being a member and user of Ubuntu Linux I would have to say that it's a melting pot of individuals here.

Your question should have been "What are Linux users like". That's a more fair comparison.

Linux users still includes Ubuntu users, and the other distros are probably melting pots too. So you're putting a melting pot inside a melting pot.

If we're talking about stereotypes, I would say that Linux users are computer geeks. It might actually be a more fair labelling than the stereotypes shown in the "Get a Mac" campaign. I've never met a Linux user in person that didn't have at least an interest in computers.

Cheers :cool:

SuperFreak
April 24th, 2011, 11:31 PM
I am middle-aged, stodgy yet cool.

Me too!

MrNatewood
April 25th, 2011, 11:49 AM
I would say mostly homo-sapiens.

Elfy
April 25th, 2011, 11:55 AM
The same as anyother OS user.

3 general types - zealots, those who know it's just another OS and the ones not in either category.

But on the whole I'd have to +1 most of
I use all three operating systems, and I certainly don't think I want to be thrown into an overgeneralized stereotype...

rg4w
April 25th, 2011, 03:03 PM
I thought all Linux users were like this dude:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LsxmQV8AXk

:)

FWIW, I attend my local Mac and Linux user groups now and then, and I while gender diversity is about equal in both groups and each is about the same size (about 3/4 male), I find great diversity in both age and ethnicity with the Linux group. In contrast to the study's findings, the average age at the local Linux group is probably about 10-15 years younger than that of the Mac group (but that probably has more to do with the nature of user groups than the general demographic).

Purely anecdotal and almost completely irrelevant, but there it is.

NightwishFan
April 25th, 2011, 05:14 PM
I am a long haired guy that lives under a bridge with a neck beard and wears socks and sandals.

Actually I have a nice home in a country town but I do have long hair and wear socks and sandals (because I can).

Random_Dude
April 25th, 2011, 05:26 PM
Actually I have a nice home in a country town but I do have long hair and wear socks and sandals (because I can).

http://www.city-data.com/forum/members/rita-mordio-129085-albums-funny-images-pic61129-fashion-troll.jpg

NightwishFan
April 25th, 2011, 05:43 PM
Pure awesome.

t.rei
April 25th, 2011, 05:54 PM
I find the ubuntu community to be VERY mixed. Many people here like to work on the computer, and not just customize it ;) and get a very usable and understandable system. I know quite a lot of people who keep an ubuntu for work and something else like arch to play with. In the end, there is no feeling of lock-in here and Debian, Arch, OpenSuSE, Gentoo and all them others actually behave mostly respectfully of the other persons choices and are helpfull and share their information and know how. Answering many questions patiently and maturely.

sffvba[e0rt
April 25th, 2011, 06:11 PM
@Random_Dude - lol!

sanderella
April 25th, 2011, 08:39 PM
I find the ubuntu community to be VERY mixed. Many people here like to work on the computer, and not just customize it ;) and get a very usable and understandable system. I know quite a lot of people who keep an ubuntu for work and something else like arch to play with. In the end, there is no feeling of lock-in here and Debian, Arch, OpenSuSE, Gentoo and all them others actually behave mostly respectfully of the other persons choices and are helpfull and share their information and know how. Answering many questions patiently and maturely.

Creep :D

disabledaccount
April 25th, 2011, 08:56 PM
I have good cross-section view of what peoples are using linux - in short:
One of my friends travels over different coutries beeing at work - he had problems after buying newe laptop to install his old 3g/GSM modem on brand new W7 - instead of buying new modem he tried ubuntu - and guess what - it works - without even single problem. He only asked me to set-up some additional things like some games in wine.

One of my friends is a girl who have switched to xubuntu, because she has unstable and old HW that was unable to run even winXP, and because GeForce2 can play Minitube smoothly, while under XP flash movies were unplayable... (P3@900Mhz)

My brother just switched to R and he is a director of division of some well known company - he was tired because of VB/Access slowness, but python + R makes miracles for him (i suppose that can be good point for just another company running ubuntu/linux)

I am application programmer - mainly, but I've also written some low-level programs for ARM and AVR - and best tools are available only for linux (eg. ATMEL asm is crappy in terms of macros support, alternatives are better.) Furtermore JTAG and DebugWire are working without problems under linux.

I am a long haired guy that lives under a bridge with a neck beard and wears socks and sandals.
I'm not wearing sandals - that's the big difference :)

linuxforartists
April 26th, 2011, 08:58 AM
This post by a Linux blogger immediately sprung to mind: The Four Different Types of Linux Users (http://jeffhoogland.blogspot.com/2010/06/four-different-types-of-linux-users.html).

I fall somewhere between the "Computer User" and "Linux Advocate." For me, the computer is a tool to get things done. Since most of my time is on the Internet, Linux is a great choice for its security. If I was using something like Excel or Final Cut Pro a lot, I'd be using another OS. I think Linux is superior, but I don't try to "convert" people over.

A little off topic, but I was able to fully convert to Linux when I found the "Pinyin" input method for Ubuntu at Pinyin Joe (http://www.pinyinjoe.com/linux/ubuntu-10-chinese-input-pinyin-chewing.htm). Until then, I would still boot into Windows XP to type Chinese with Sogou Pinyin.

wojox
April 27th, 2011, 05:05 AM
Linux users still includes Ubuntu users, and the other distros are probably melting pots too. So you're putting a melting pot inside a melting pot.

If we're talking about stereotypes, I would say that Linux users are computer geeks. It might actually be a more fair labelling than the stereotypes shown in the "Get a Mac" campaign. I've never met a Linux user in person that didn't have at least an interest in computers.

Cheers :cool:

All I'm saying is Ubuntu != Linux. Linux is Linux regardless of what DE and Package Manager you use.

drklunk
April 27th, 2011, 05:31 AM
This is a pretty cool question

From the random people Ive met and actually talked to about operating systems and all the goodies theyve got; Linux users are always more interesting. From the few that Ive talked to, Linux users are people who like hands on stuff, tweaking into perfection, having what they want and it running how they want it. The doers really, typically open minded people... until they fail to see the benefits of other operating systems (Windows, Mac). Which we then turn into big headed egobots trash talking anything not Linux. Some of the Linux users Ive met were complete sit at home computer nerds while others just liked having everything for free while being able to fine tune things as needed and everything in between. As for Ubuntu users, I would like to say that most of us are Windows migrants looking for a warm seat to sit in... whatever, point is we're the closet cool kids that know our OS is the best.

I say give a Linux distro a shiny logo with some silver hardware and market it for 2 grand a pop and see what happens.
A lot of compatibility complaints xD

DoFlooterMoose
April 27th, 2011, 07:28 AM
Well... I am the resident computer guy around here. And I Have worked on ALOT of computers. mainly cause of Malware, Trojans, etc... and every one of them Windows. The thing I have noticed most about Windows users, not all... but most of them think all they have to do is turn on the computer and do what they want. Never clean, never scan for nastys. And within a year are so tired of how poorly their computer is running they go out and buy a new one, and do it all over again. Ive even had friends throw them in the trash cause they thought they was broke. A fresh install and some tweaking and I put a couple extra bucks in my pocket :). And they never seem to learn. Ive only known a few Mac users. And like the one gentleman said on here. they was all assholes. My exwife (god love her) was talking to me the other night. complaining about how slow her laptop was (running vista) go figure. And mentioned she was thinking about buying a Mac. I asked her why. she said "because they look cool" :(. Mac users seem to use it cause of the name. and not cause of the OS. Windows users seem to use it cause its whats on it when they buy it. and Linux users. well... ive never met another Linux user. But from what ive seen on here, they seem to be very intellectual. Know more about whats going on with their computers. I myself am new to Linux. Only a few months into it. I have been called a nerd and geek :) and wear the badge proudly :cool:.