PDA

View Full Version : I am about to buy a printer

Ob1
May 11th, 2006, 02:50 AM
It's very modern one, cannot remember the company, Cannon i think.

From my local Printer store, but i was wondering what the odds are of me finding proper software for the printer so it can work with Linux?

Sef
May 11th, 2006, 02:54 AM
From my local Printer store, but i was wondering what the odds are of me finding proper software for the printer so it can work with Linux?

Not good. Canon does not support Linux, so often its printers don't work on Linux. Best bets are HP and Epson.

Read this from LinuxPrinting:

http://www.linuxprinting.org/suggested.html

Compucore
May 11th, 2006, 03:21 AM
I was lucky enough when I bought my Apollo 2150U printer about 2-3 years ago. That it was able to work with Ubuntu. I had found out when I was installing it on my Breezy Bager. Its hooked up to my windows machine though. I had it set to share on that machine and linked it up through there instead of unplugging it there and back.

Compucore

papangul
May 11th, 2006, 06:28 AM
My suggestion is HP, because it is linux freindly , sometime back I even saw it donating hardware to Gentoo foundation. Just check if the particular model you intend to buy has good performance under linux or not.
Whatever you do don't buy cannon.

deadgobby
May 11th, 2006, 07:07 AM
I had a old Apollo HP printer and worked just fine with Ubie. After the cost of ink was getting up there. I was like. Do I buy some ink for $50 bucks or a new printer. I settle to buy th HP deskjet 3940. The driver was right in Breezy and works great through the USB. I have read post on people haven problems with cannon. As said before. HP is linux friendly and you can DL the drivers off the HP web site. If it cross you mind why HP is Linux freindly? Well to sell more stuff and HP makes IC testers that use Unix programing to test chips that run windows. HA!

PrimoTurbo
May 11th, 2006, 07:11 AM
My Samsung ML-1710 worked really well on Ubuntu, detected and setup for network printing with some reading.

kris kincaid
May 11th, 2006, 07:28 AM
I have a Canon i560 that works perfectly. I had to use the BJC-7000 driver, but that is easy enough to setup.

jason.b.c
May 11th, 2006, 07:37 AM
:)
but i was wondering what the odds are of me finding proper software for the printer so it can work with Linux?

HP 1315v All-in-one..

Printer,Scanner,Copier..:)

Works for me...No Prob..!:)

rado_london
May 11th, 2006, 09:47 AM
Dont get Canon MP360. That is one piece of sh*t. Never printed normal page. I am saving money for HP but it will be if the near future.

robinl
May 11th, 2006, 09:55 AM
From personal experience I would opt for HP. I've used Canon, Epson, and HP for various lengths of times. My Ancient Canon broke down after god knows what happened and I had to throw it out; then bought an Epson CX something, the photo quality sucked, the ink leaked and it malfunctioned, which I also have to throw out; THEN I've bought a HP PSC 1210 multifunction, and it performed quite well for 2.5 years now. I also bought a HP Photosmart 130 portable printer for photo printing (before my Photosmart 7760) and won a Photosmart 7760 from a competition. The photo quality was great and really beats the old Epson by miles. 2 months later I've decided to try Ubuntu and how greatful I was that there were official HP printer drivers. I've set them up painlessly and now it's networked to other windows machines is well and it worked perfectly, other than the fact that I cannot print borderless photos in Linux and somehow GIMP doesn't print as it should. A disadvantage, however, is that the cartridges are quite expensive and the driver in Windows does some scaling and does not print all of a perfectly sized A4 photo, but a cropped and enlarged version of it.

mips
May 11th, 2006, 11:18 AM
It's very modern one, cannot remember the company, Cannon i think.

That is the type of question that annoys me. You would like to know whether X printer is supported. We would like to help you make the right decision. You are not even sure of the Brand/Model ?! How are we suppose to help you if you can't be bothered to confirm the brand/model...

HP & Epson are your safest bet.

Master Shake
May 11th, 2006, 04:10 PM
HP All the way. Ubuntu had the drivers for my HP 4000 all in one. Scanner works great, printer works great.

(Printer works too great. Kids have run me out of ink too many times. Time to lock down the printing in Tuxpaint. :)

matthew
May 11th, 2006, 07:56 PM
While all the previous posts make this unnecessary I'm going to chime in anyway. I have had great experiences with HP printers and linux and they are what I recommend to everyone.

aysiu
May 11th, 2006, 07:58 PM
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/HardwareSupportComponentsPrinters

SeanTater
May 11th, 2006, 09:09 PM
HP here! I would very much recommend it -- and most are cheap to boot.. They are quite high quality IMO.

alastair lewis
May 11th, 2006, 10:40 PM
HPLIP comes with Ubuntu. HP is the way.

Dr. Nick
May 12th, 2006, 03:02 AM
I have a Canon i560 that works perfectly. I had to use the BJC-7000 driver, but that is easy enough to setup.
Ah the bjc-7000 driver, The same driver I use for my canon IP3000.

Consensus sayss get a HP. But If you get a Canon you may still be alright. I got mine before I really got into linux, The drivers are missing a few features like Duplex Printing but thats fine.

Canon is getting better on linux supprt, their is a official Japan canon site with RPMs for several models, though the bjc-7000 gutenprint seems to work better then them. I usually only print black so am not sure of the photo quality, but black is good enough for me.

My Thoughts on eacc company
HP - Never had one, but sounds good

Canon - Pretty good, cheap cartridges, Cartridges can be easily refilled using a refill kit

Epson - I will avoid epson at most all cost. They have chips in them that notify when the ink "runs out" I had one and it wouldnt print due to the color ink being "empty" I looked at it and it still had ink left, so i refilled it and it still read empty. This forces you to always buy a new cartridge when they want you to, I know it had enough ink left to do what I wanted to then but it wouldnt. You can also buy a eeprom resetter to clear the chips but that shouldnt be necessary.

Hehe a bit of a rant but I jst want to warn people to be cautious of epson for that reason

Compucore
May 12th, 2006, 04:44 AM
I would say in general HP all the way for general for any computer. Since I have worked with HP for a company for a couple of years intalling them on a wide variety of things. I had gotten the Apollo for a cheap price. But it was good chance that it worked with Ubuntu. I wasn't even sure until did a background check of my printer again since I had to reinstalled the printer drivers for my win2k. And didn't realized it was made by hp. So this is a good thing for the linux environment.

Virogenesis
May 12th, 2006, 09:39 AM
Well personally I prefer epson they aren't as noisey as HP for a start and their printers are generally better.
I convinced my old man to get himself a epson r300, as it prints directly onto printable cds.
Its a shame the driver for it doesn't support cd printing yet but yeah epson have pretty good drivers from my understanding.

And HP aren't saints they are just fence sitters. :)

Toolsmith
May 12th, 2006, 10:43 PM
I just bought a Samsung ML-2010. It claims to run with Linux, and probably does, but the installation script fails on the dapper beta. I'm a rank Linux newbie with lots of Windows command line experience, and am trying to work my way through the installation script but am hoping that PrimoTurbo may have a quick hint for me. The script fails with
/home/pzg4pg/.setup6230: error while loading shared libraries: libgtk-1.2.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
Any suggestions?
Thanks - Peter

leohart
December 5th, 2006, 10:39 AM
I second Samsung printers all the way. They are cheap, easy to setup and have native drivers for Linux

mips
December 5th, 2006, 12:15 PM
Well at least with HP you don't have to run scripts etc. Sorry cannot help on the scrips issue.

pichalsi
December 5th, 2006, 12:23 PM
HP PSC 1510 works perfectly

steven8
December 5th, 2006, 12:40 PM
HP PSC 1210 also works perfectly.

khgiese
November 20th, 2007, 09:56 PM
First off let me say I am new to Linux. I have been a MS windows LAN administator for several years. I am working hard to expand my knowledge of Linux.

I am running Ubuntu 7.10 on a Dell OptiplexGX280. The install was flawless (keep in mind I am a linux newbee) I am however having a problem with installing a networked printer. I have a HP laserjet 4000 with the internal IP of 172.16.80.11. When i use the wizard to add a new printer it finds the printer, and I take all the defaults including the drivers, HP Laserjet 4000 series Postscript (recommended)
When i try to print a test page my printer displays a 40 error. I looked this error up on HP support site and it tells me to reseat the network card in the printer. Here is the catch. My friend has a duel boot Ubuntu machine that has both 7.04 and 7.10 in version 7.04 the test page prints with no error. HOWEVER when he tries to print to the same printer with 7.10 he also gets the Error 40 message at the printer.
Is there something we are doing wrong?

regomodo
November 20th, 2007, 10:19 PM
hp if you want linux compatibility
canon for cheap running and quality
epson if you like to burn money
lexmark if you are stupid

I work at cartridgworld

I would personally get a canon and spend the money on a turboprint license. It's what i did and have no regrets.

Crashmaxx
November 20th, 2007, 10:30 PM
First off let me say I am new to Linux. I have been a MS windows LAN administator for several years. I am working hard to expand my knowledge of Linux.

I am running Ubuntu 7.10 on a Dell OptiplexGX280. The install was flawless (keep in mind I am a linux newbee) I am however having a problem with installing a networked printer. I have a HP laserjet 4000 with the internal IP of 172.16.80.11. When i use the wizard to add a new printer it finds the printer, and I take all the defaults including the drivers, HP Laserjet 4000 series Postscript (recommended)
When i try to print a test page my printer displays a 40 error. I looked this error up on HP support site and it tells me to reseat the network card in the printer. Here is the catch. My friend has a duel boot Ubuntu machine that has both 7.04 and 7.10 in version 7.04 the test page prints with no error. HOWEVER when he tries to print to the same printer with 7.10 he also gets the Error 40 message at the printer.
Is there something we are doing wrong?

Might be a bug in 7.10, so you may be best off just switching to 7.04, but you might also want to try a different driver, and check the settings on the printer. Here is a page on Linux support for your printer:
http://openprinting.org/show_printer.cgi?recnum=HP-LaserJet_4000

BigSilly
November 20th, 2007, 11:33 PM
HP Photosmart 8050 here. Recently bought and pleased to note that it works out of the box with Gutsy, and you can download a GUI for it from the repo. All functions seem to be working as they should be. Top stuff!

Retrograde77
November 21st, 2007, 12:08 AM
Just bought a printer today, a HP Deskjet D1470. Was worried about it not working but have seen that HP seems to have good support.
Worked flawlessly, no driver installs nothing. just plug it in, ubuntu saw it, it works. Really, really impressed.

Have also used a HP PSC2110 in the past and was great :KS

@BigSilly: is there any reason to install that with a bog deskjet? wondering of thiers any more functionality in that, than the normal ubuntu printers window.

Ta.

helliewm
November 21st, 2007, 12:24 AM
HP works every time for me. Logiech for keyboards, mice and webcams all work for me too. I stick to brand I know.

Helen

mips
November 21st, 2007, 11:27 AM
Buy HP! They work and you won't regret your decision.

gn2
November 21st, 2007, 01:53 PM
Brother printers also have good Linux support.

khgiese
November 21st, 2007, 04:43 PM
Might be a bug in 7.10, so you may be best off just switching to 7.04, but you might also want to try a different driver, and check the settings on the printer. Here is a page on Linux support for your printer:
http://openprinting.org/show_printer.cgi?recnum=HP-LaserJet_4000

Thanks for the link. It offered up some good explanation on the drivers, which I found very useful for my learning experience.
I changed the drivers and it works great.

almalaci
November 22nd, 2007, 10:48 PM
Again, needless to say, go for HP but it's too tempting not to bash Canon here!
I foolishly bought a Canon Pixma MP 460 and I had to buy turboprint very soon after because nothing else I tried could get it working. Still up to this day I can't print decent photos.
One improvement in Gutsy is that the printer is recognised now and scanning with Xsane works without any fiddling.
I used a HP Photosmart before with ubuntu and because it worked perfectly, I never even thought Canon could be THAT useless for linux.
It prints and scans in very good quality and is a nice all-in-one but if you use linux I say stay away from Canon..

Colro
November 23rd, 2007, 01:35 AM
I've got an HP Photosmart 8100 Series and it works great with both Ubuntu and Fedora. I just plug it in and it's ready to go five seconds later. It's also got pretty damn good quality. They're probably 2-3 years old now, too, so you could find one for cheaper then I got mine.

little_penguin
November 24th, 2007, 12:30 PM
I have the Epson DX4050 All-in-One, it works fine in Ubuntu Feisty.