PDA

View Full Version : How many of you upgrade your computer parts?

TheNerdAL
April 24th, 2011, 02:39 AM
Well, I've been using this computer for about 7 years or so and it's getting old. Still has a one core processor which isn't that good. It's time to up the anty(or however you say it.)

I was wondering who upgrades their computer parts instead of buying a new one?

papibe
April 24th, 2011, 02:55 AM
I would say it's really a matter of budget. But a 7 year old computer has a high rate of sudden death (sort of speak), so If you keep it, I'd suggest regular backups.

If I were you (and had the budget), I invest in a new computer and convert the one you have in a file server/media center or similar.

Regards.

wolfen69
April 24th, 2011, 03:12 AM
I build a new computer every 1 1/2-2 years whether I need it or not. I likes new shiny thingies. :)

As a matter of fact, my new parts should be here by next week. It's: AMD Quad-Core @ 3.2ghz/8gb DDR3/USB3, Sata6 Mobo/Nvidia GT430 Can't wait!

LowSky
April 24th, 2011, 03:19 AM
Well, I've been using this computer for about 7 years or so and it's getting old. Still has a one core processor which isn't that good. It's time to up the anty(or however you say it.)

I was wondering who upgrades their computer parts instead of buying a new one?

I'm in the middle of a upgrade path right now. Purchased a new motherboard, an SSD, case and a Blu-ray/DVD-RW drive. Going to use the same processor, power supply, hard drives, graphics card, and tv tuner card. My stuff isn't that old. I usually do a half upgrade every 1.5 years. then do the other half.

if the PC is 7 years old it would be more advisable to buy something newer. Finding a new processor for that motherboard isn't going to be as easy.

At best replace the motherboard and processor and if you go the cash the graphics card.

Dustin2128
April 24th, 2011, 03:46 AM
I build a new computer every 1 1/2-2 years whether I need it or not. I likes new shiny thingies. :)

As a matter of fact, my new parts should be here by next week. It's: AMD Quad-Core @ 3.2ghz/8gb DDR3/USB3, Sata6 Mobo/Nvidia GT430 Can't wait!
Phenom or Athlon?

As for me, I usually just get free stuff when relatives bork their computers and buy new ones or upgrade. It's a pretty sweet arrangement that's netted me some really great hardware. I do upgrade and swap parts fairly regularly though, swapped a GeForce 6200 for a 9600 in a computer I got 4 months ago to turn it into a nice gaming rig, raided a bunch of hard drives from older computers (pun intended) for a 1 terabyte file server, etc.

ilovelinux33467
April 24th, 2011, 03:58 AM
My main computer (desktop) is over 3 years old now (bought December 2007). Original specs were: 2GB DDR2 667 MHz RAM, 320GB Hard Drive, Core 2 Duo 2.66 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce 8600 GTS. I have upgraded the RAM, Power supply, hard drive and graphics card. Specs now are: 8GB DDR2 800 MHz RAM, 320GB+2TB Hard Drive, Same CPU, NVIDIA GTX 260 Overclocked. These recent upgrades mean I don't need to replace it for another couple of years. In fact I intend to upgrade the RAM in my laptop soon as well to 8GB.

TheNerdAL
April 24th, 2011, 04:07 AM
I'm in the middle of a upgrade path right now. Purchased a new motherboard, an SSD, case and a Blu-ray/DVD-RW drive. Going to use the same processor, power supply, hard drives, graphics card, and tv tuner card. My stuff isn't that old. I usually do a half upgrade every 1.5 years. then do the other half.

if the PC is 7 years old it would be more advisable to buy something newer. Finding a new processor for that motherboard isn't going to be as easy.

At best replace the motherboard and processor and if you go the cash the graphics card.

That's my plan. Upgrading motherboard and CPU to fit each other and of course the ram because I'll need DDR2 or DDR3, since my old computer uses DDR1, which is old. I have a decent graphics card, so I'll stick with that one.

I've upgraded everything except the motherboard and cpu and cd drive and the sd card reader.

LowSky
April 24th, 2011, 04:35 AM
That's my plan. Upgrading motherboard and CPU to fit each other and of course the ram because I'll need DDR2 or DDR3, since my old computer uses DDR1, which is old. I have a decent graphics card, so I'll stick with that one.

I've upgraded everything except the motherboard and cpu and cd drive and the sd card reader.

Just make sure that video card is PCIe x16 and not AGP... the sockets look too similar but are not compatible. And 7 years ago was the switching point.

TheNerdAL
April 24th, 2011, 04:48 AM
Just make sure that video card is PCIe x16 and not AGP... the sockets look too similar but are not compatible. And 7 years ago was the switching point.

I'm sure they are PCI because I remember looking for graphics card and PCI was popular.

K_45
April 24th, 2011, 05:06 AM
With Linux, it isn't necessary to upgrade every year unless something dies, but 7 years is a very long time. I'd build a cheap Phenom II PC for $500, minus monitor.

TheNerdAL
April 24th, 2011, 05:10 AM
With Linux, it isn't necessary to upgrade every year unless something dies, but 7 years is a very long time. I'd build a cheap Phenom II PC for $500, minus monitor.

It's not because something is dead, it's because playing HD videos is too slow. And also sometimes things lag. And bootup is really slow.

papibe
April 24th, 2011, 05:35 AM
I'm sure they are PCI because I remember looking for graphics card and PCI was popular.
Just to be a precise: PCI != PCIe.

If you have just PCI slots, you're left with just one nvidia card that supports limited video hardware acceleration (8400 GS). That card has several limitations on decoding h.264 (read it here (http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/VDPAU)).

I hope it helps.

weasel fierce
April 24th, 2011, 05:43 AM
Previous PC was used for 4 or 5 years. Started out with 256 megs of RAM. Added 512 extra, a cheap Nvidia card and a CD burner to it.

Oh, and a wireless card but it didn't get used that much.

My current box, I might upgrade the video card and get a small solid state drive, but otherwise, I'll probably use it til it breaks (4 gigs ram, 2.4 ghz dual core.. plenty fast for everything I need)

kostageas
April 24th, 2011, 05:47 AM
I use mine until they die, or mummy buys me a new one. :popcorn:

But for your dilemma, I would go for a new computer. Upgrades aren't really going to be worth it since older parts cost more than newer parts. You can get some pretty good quality computers for less than $500 if you look in all the right places. My laptop was ~$350, but I bought a two year warranty to be safe. It hasn't failed me yet. :D

wolfen69
April 24th, 2011, 05:57 AM

That's a different way to do it. :wink:

Once my new parts come in next week, the only hardware I'm going to recycle is the DVD/CD drive, windowed case, couple hard drives. The one thing I'm really worried about is when I rebuild and hook up my win7 drive. I'm guessing windows will not take favorably to all new parts. One more reason windows is a pain in the ***.

I plan on using my current install with my new pc next week. Try that with windows.

Warpnow
April 24th, 2011, 06:05 AM
Keep the case, drives, and psu.

Upgrade the MB/CPU/RAM and add more storage as necessary.

That's how I do it.

wolfen69
April 24th, 2011, 06:50 AM
Keep the case, drives, and psu.

Upgrade the MB/CPU/RAM and add more storage as necessary.

That's how I do it.

But every once in awhile it don't hurt to upgrade the video card.

CraigPaleo
April 24th, 2011, 07:36 AM
I would say it's really a matter of budget. But a 7 year old computer has a high rate of sudden death (sort of speak), so If you keep it, I'd suggest regular backups.

Sudden death? Does it matter how much the PC has been used? The reason I ask is that I've recently traded my "old" three-year-old single core for my brother's six-year-old dual core. He doesn't use his computers half as much as I do.

To the OP, I have only upgraded RAM and monitors so far. The reason I don't have a laptop as my primary computer is that I like the modularity of desktops.

gnomeuser
April 24th, 2011, 08:06 AM
I used to do a lot of upgrading but the complex RMA conditions and the hours of separate testing often negated the savings (unless I purposely value my time and expertise at 0€). Additionally today you get a very nice machine for very little money, my current machine is a dual core atom with nvidia ION and 4 gigs of ram in a sexy looking nettop case. It was very cheap (~2500 DKK) and performs very well for my use, I can even game and develop on it. On top of all of that it is one of the most quiet machines I have ever owned.

When such a machine dies (as this one is doing after ~2 years of near 24/7 service) it is cheap to replace and in runtime we are looking at very few watts.

samacaster
April 24th, 2011, 09:01 AM
Upgrading components used to be fun and easy. New drives, cards, etc.. But now, ALAS!, my upgrades come every two years when I go buy a new, more powerful, faster box that cost less than the old box did when it was new!

Artemis3
April 24th, 2011, 09:24 AM
Computers are very resilient, don't expect them to die soon ;)
Usually the hard drive has the higher chance of failing, if all the other components are quality. But ppl often buy a new one just to have more space.

I do upgrade mine every 4 years or so, and but then i end up with many older, perfectly working parts lying around ^^! I always buy in parts because i get to choose the components i like.

Many companies actually throw away perfectly working machines, only because they are old. I makes me want to cry to see so much computer waste.

mr-woof
April 24th, 2011, 12:21 PM
I generally upgrade every 3-4 years, I've just gone from a core2duo, 2gb ram to a AMD phenom x4 with 4gb ram. I usually just buy a new board, retail chip set and some ram.

markp1989
April 24th, 2011, 12:37 PM
normally when I update mine I dont normally do single component upgrades.

last upgrade I did was replace cpu motherboard and ram, because me previous ddr2 e8400 system was getting to the stage where updating the ram would have cost too much, and I didnt see the point in spending a lot of money on a lga755 cpu as its an old socket.

at the time I got a good deal, i7 875k , evga motherboard, 4gb ddr3 memory for ~£300 including shipping from the states.

before that the last update I did was HDD ----> SSD update was I wanted faster boot times.