PDA

View Full Version : Boost Mobile and Galaxy Prevail

CraigPaleo
April 24th, 2011, 01:11 AM
I'm curious to know your experiences with Boost Mobile. I had an iPhone since they first came out but lost it when I got laid off last year. Now that I have a job again, it's time for a new phone. I want something close enough to an iPhone but not an iPhone.

I have a friend who uses and recommends Boost Mobile and I couldn't believe the prices when I heard them! $50/ month with unlimited everything, eventually dropping to $35 if paid on time and no contract. My iPhone service cost $220/month. Crazy difference!

I know my friend gets good service on her phone because I talk to her. I suppose it uses the same network as Sprint so that's not surprising.

I was just looking at the site. The Samsung Galaxy Prevail is only $179. Does anyone have that phone? So, tell me something about your Prevail or Boost Mobile. I want you to talk me into this phone and service. :)

HermanAB
April 24th, 2011, 05:51 AM
Sounds like your GF already talked you into it and since you want to talk to her, it seems like it is cut and dried already.

CraigPaleo
April 24th, 2011, 06:30 AM
LOL! She's not my GF. I talk to her a lot but she doesn't have a smart phone. I know the voice and texting is good but I don't know about the internet or that Samsung I'm interested in. It' all unlimited but so cheep. I guess I'm just weary because of the old saying, "If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is."

One thing though is that it can't be used as a hotspot but I don't need that. I have cable Internet.

thedarryl
June 26th, 2011, 08:21 AM
I'm loving the Galaxy Prevail, especially considering they're about 150 bucks on amazon (my excellent seller was "shopcelldeals"). My experience has always been that Boost reception sucks where I live (Charlotte), but hey, as we know it's not very expensive. I had hoped that a new CDMA phone would improve reception vs. the iDEN type, but not so (I never know when the reception will be choppy--even if both parties are Boost customers, local, and stationary).

When I first connected the droid to my notebook, there was no interaction. The phone was an unrecognized device that could not be browsed. I had to go to the wireless & network settings, then to the 'USB Connection' settings. There is a Mass Storage mode there, but to enable it I had to first select 'Ask on connection.' The next time I connected the device, I was prompted to turn on the mass storage mode.

Also, Firefox is not yet compatible with the Galaxy Prevail.

CraigPaleo
June 26th, 2011, 09:54 PM
Thanks for the input. I went ahead and got it. I've had mine for about a month now. You can't beat it for the price.

So far I've gotten good service wherever I go. It's very flat here so cell towers reach further I think. :) It seems like they've slowed down the 3G. It's still usable though. I'm pretty happy so far.

As far as syncing, I have no problems with it as you can see. I don't know what could be wrong. You might want to ask in Hardware & Laptops (http://ubuntuforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=332).

http://img827.imageshack.us/img827/705/screenshote0fd1813.png

http://img705.imageshack.us/img705/2905/veneverbeentomerobertde.png

Actually, one of the first things I did was look for Firefox. It may be in an unofficial repo somewhere but whatever is on it (Chrome?) works well enough. Good luck with your syncing!

CharlesA
June 26th, 2011, 09:59 PM
Nice. I picked one up last week and I'm loving it so far. It might not be the best phone, but it is decent.

Signal strength is pretty good anywhere but where I live, but that's mostly due to the building, I think, since I've had signal problems with all the major carriers.