PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Lost my partition

bigvibes
April 24th, 2011, 12:47 AM
Hi, I'm selling my Asus netbook so I decided to restore it to the factory default of Windows 7 (I was running Ubuntu and Windows 7 dual boot with Ubuntu as the loader). Since my netbook has Windows 7 pre-loaded, I was planning on hitting the F9 key on startup and going from there. It was supposed to be oh so easy. But, stupid me decided to first erase the Ubuntu partition from within Windows. Then I go to restart and I get the Grub command prompt, no Windows. No chance at hitting F9, nothing.

So what I'm hoping to do is find a way to do another fresh install dualbooting Windows (crapware... I'm totally an Ubuntu convert now!) and Ubuntu. However, if that can't be done I'd like to just put Ubuntu on. One problem, the netbook has no CD drive and I have no portable CD player. Any way out of this mess?! thanks

mikewhatever
April 24th, 2011, 01:12 AM
Re-installing Ubuntu shouldn't be difficult, you just need a 1GB (or larger) USB stick. However, booting the recovery partition is a different story. I very much doubt that f9 would have done anything on startup.