PDA

View Full Version : Dead computer after one month. Best approach to take?

Cuddles McKitten
April 23rd, 2011, 06:53 PM
I tried to boot my computer this morning and, though it powers on, it doesn't even get to POST. I've tried every possible iteration of checking connections and pulling out components to see if I could get a beep code possible. Even with *only* the CPU and heatsink I got nothing. Even pulling out the CPU all together didn't change anything. Right now it's a $500 brick. Based on what I've read, this means it's probably the PSU, the CPU, or the mobo. I bought a multimeter from RadioShack (big mistake) and the thing crapped out before I could finish testing the PSU. That's yet another $17 down the toilet.

I purchased the components for a computer from NewEgg exactly one month ago, assembled it with no problems, and have been using it without any problems for that month. According to NewEgg's return policy, they won't do anything even if I can determine exactly which component failed. The "computer repair" places in my area charge a minimum of $120 just to look at a computer. Anyone have any suggestions as to how I could, for the least amount of money, diagnose and get my computer back into operation?

CharlesA
April 23rd, 2011, 07:29 PM
My bet is fried mobo.

Do any of the fans spin, and does it make any beeps?

gnomeuser
April 23rd, 2011, 07:41 PM
I feel your pain, that kind of return policy is exactly why I stopped buying computers in parts.

Since your multimeter also died (wow you are as lucky as me when it comes to hardware) I would suggest borrowing a compatible PSU from a friend to rule it out. Likewise if you can convince a friend to let you switch CPUs for testing purpose that would be a way to at least have a known working base set of components and a controlled way to identify the broken component or components.

Without further information I would be inclined to blame the motherboard but I worry that the cause of the frying might be a defective PSU and I worry that if you replace the mobo it will merely make it go boom once more.

also are there any distinct odors or sounds when turning on the machine? I assume since you were able to at least measure a bit on the PSU that it actually starts.

*Edit*

If you have a Hackerspace near you I would take the machine there on a meeting night. They will have equipment and know-how to identify the problem and likely it will only cost you pizza.

Paqman
April 23rd, 2011, 07:56 PM
According to NewEgg's return policy, they won't do anything even if I can determine exactly which component failed.

Determine which component failed and then go direct to the manufacturer. They'll replace it no problem.

CharlesA
April 23rd, 2011, 07:57 PM
Determine which component failed and then go direct to the manufacturer. They'll replace it no problem.
+1. You can even do the same with with newegg if you are within 30 days (http://www.newegg.com/HelpInfo/ReturnPolicy.aspx).

LowSky
April 23rd, 2011, 08:08 PM
Manufacturer RMA's are usually pretty easy. My motherboard didn't post anymore so I emailed MSI, they gave me a number to place on the returning part, and then sent me a new board. took less than 2 weeks for the process.

I know it sucks when a part dies but it happens. That is what warranties are for.

Cuddles McKitten
April 23rd, 2011, 08:19 PM
My bet is fried mobo.

Do any of the fans spin, and does it make any beeps?

All the fans, HD, and DVD drives work. It doesn't even get to POST, so no beeps.

I just moved to the middle of nowhere and know exactly zero people, so I can't get a PSU to swap with anyone or look for anything like hackerspaces which would be in more populated areas. To determine which part needs help, it looks like my best option is to try to call a computer repair place. Hopefully I can haggle until they get to down a reasonable price and then hope that the manufacturer will replace whichever part it is.

CharlesA
April 23rd, 2011, 08:26 PM
Definitely sounds like a mobo problem. If everything powers up, then I doubt it's the power supply.

Best thing to do would probably be to RMA it with newegg and then pop in the replacement if you still have time to return it.

Otherwise RMA it with the manufacturer.

Artemis3
April 23rd, 2011, 08:56 PM
Try resetting the bios if you can. Sadly not all mobos beep anymore if you take everything out, but seeing the cpu fan not spin is a bad sign.

If you CAN, try another psu, another dimm, and another cpu. Oh yes, do this outside the case, just in case there is not a silly short from a lose screw or something.

Just remember to always discharge yourself by touching the bare metal of your psu (which is hopefully plugged to a grounded power outlet) before handling things. And keep doing this from time to time.

LowSky
April 23rd, 2011, 09:01 PM
Motherboard only beep if you install a the speaker, and most people skip that these days.

Just email the manufacturer form their RMA website, tell them it will not post. most of them will instantly send you a RMA number for return.

dash10
April 24th, 2011, 01:40 AM
I have to admit I read this as dead kitten after one month.

In any case depending on how long you've had the failed part you may want to call Newegg -- I had a chat with them after some RAM I bought did nought and they were dead helpful in setting me up with the right info to get it replaced.

Johnsie
April 24th, 2011, 03:01 AM
This is why I don't deal with computer parts anymore. It was profitable in the 90's but now that you can get wholesale prices or refurb machines with guarantee the savings margin doesn't always make the risk worthwhile.

Paqman
April 24th, 2011, 07:52 PM
and then hope that the manufacturer will replace whichever part it is.

No need to hope, they have to replace it. It's the law.