PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Botttom Portion of Screen is Unresponsive

metal_falsetto
April 23rd, 2011, 05:51 PM
Hi -- I'm on a Dell 1764, running 64-bit 10.04.

My problem is that, alluvasudden, the bottom ~15% of my screen is unresponsive. There is no display issue, per se -- I can see everything on the screen. Rather, when I scroll to that bottom portion of the screen, I cannot select or double-click any element that resides in that "dead portion" or the screen.

My dock does not pop up when I scroll to the bottom of the screen, I can't select a folder on my desktop that is sitting in that bottom area, or, if I'm browsing the interwebz, I can't click on a link unless I scroll so it's further up the screen. (If I mouse over a link in that area, the cursor never changes from pointer to finger.)

A little recent history: just prior to this behavior, I was testing out using an LCD TV as a second monitor, in the interest of playing movies stored on my laptop on the TV. I futzed around with the monitor settings to accomodate the second monitor, and, using gconf-editor, set the lid behavior to "do nothing" when closed. (I did not get around to acctually watching the movie, and I reverted the lid behavior settings back to "suspend" when closed.)

Additionally -- and this may be the real cause -- my three year-old was mashing on the keyboard for a bit before I was able to stop him. In all honesty, I can't remember if it was displaying this behavior only after he was mashing on the keyboard, or if it was doing it after the second-monitor tweakings (but prior to the mashing).

Thanks for all and any help.

metal_falsetto
April 23rd, 2011, 09:54 PM
Okay, problem solved, I guess... even though I tried multiple restarts to see if that would fix the problem prior to making the initial post, my last restart somehow fixed it. Shrugs.