PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] My computer shuts down after 10 minutes of inactivity

adit
April 23rd, 2011, 11:50 AM
My computer shuts down after 10 minutes of inactivity. In power management preferences, I have selected:
Put the computer to sleep when inactive for 0.10
I expect the computer to sleep after 10 minutes. But it shuts down.

Paddy Landau
April 23rd, 2011, 05:26 PM
You don't say what version of Ubuntu you have. Or are you using Wubi?

Some systems have hardware incompatible with Ubuntu. In those cases, it tries to go to sleep, but the incompatibility means that instead it shuts down.

Wubi has its own problems and can be highly temperamental with sleep (and hibernate won't work).

adit
April 25th, 2011, 02:29 PM
I have ubuntu 10.10. I don't use wubi. I am able to put the computer to sleep manually. I think there is problem with my power management settings.

Paddy Landau
April 25th, 2011, 03:16 PM
I am able to put the computer to sleep manually. I think there is problem with my power management settings.
Hmm, that makes it a bit confusing. You put it to sleep manually, and it wakes up OK; but when it goes to sleep automatically, it actually shuts down.

Question: Is this a laptop that sometimes runs on a battery? If so, when you look at your Power Management, check both On AC Power and On Battery Power.

If they are both OK, try disabling your screensaver. System > Preferences > Screensaver > uncheck Activate your screen saver when computer is idle.

Let us know what happens.

adit
April 26th, 2011, 03:49 AM
I have Dell Inspiron 1525 laptop. If left alone:
1) It shuts down after 10 minutes on battery power
2) It sleeps after 30 minutes on AC power

In Power Management Preferences window I have the following settings:
On AC power tab:
On Battery power tab:

In Screensaver Preferences window there is a checkbox.
Activate screensaver when computer is idle
That is already unchecked.

The configuration files and log files in my system will give more information. I don't know which files to post.

Paddy Landau
April 26th, 2011, 08:21 AM
Do you close your laptop lid when leaving the computer? If you do, what setting do you have for "When laptop lid is closed" for both AC and battery?

If this isn't the problem, then I'm sorry, I don't know where to go from here. Let's hope someone else with more knowledge can help.

adit
April 26th, 2011, 08:28 AM
These problems occur even when laptop lid is open.
These problem started since I played with keys in gconf-editor.
I think I should reinstall the entire operating system.

Paddy Landau
April 26th, 2011, 08:51 AM
I think I should reinstall the entire operating system.
That might help; but then again, it might not. Boot from a Live CD, set the power management settings the same, and see what happens with the Live CD. If it works, at least you know it's not a hardware issue.

Krytarik
April 26th, 2011, 05:13 PM

You don't happen to remember what keys you edited, right?
Or at least the rough direction?

Paddy Landau
April 26th, 2011, 05:27 PM
I missed that, silly me.

In gconf-editor: apps > gnome-power-manager.
Have a look around and see what you might have changed.