PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Thinking of upgrading to 11.04 from 10.04

slashwannabe94
April 22nd, 2011, 09:49 PM
Hello all,

I have been reading allot about 11.04 and it's new unity desktop interface. Some say it is riddled with problems and is power hungry to the core!

I was wondering if anyone could clarify this?

p.s. i love stability and strong support. These are the key things to me.

Dutch70
April 22nd, 2011, 09:54 PM
The only way to know how it runs on your system is to try it. Either use a live cd or usb stick. Otherwise, you'll just have everyone telling you how it runs on their hardware. If that's what you want, it runs fairly well on mine for a beta. Glad it's not my main OS, but it seems to get better everyday.

Edit: Remember that it will be much slower on a usb stick & even slower from a cd.

KegHead
April 22nd, 2011, 09:57 PM
Hi!

I ran 11.04 on a usb stick from day one and decided to install.

I am a dyed in the wool classic fan.

You can change to the classic Ubuntu via..

system..admin..login

KegHead

Dutch70
April 22nd, 2011, 10:01 PM
Hi!

I ran 11.04 on a usb stick from day one and decided to install.

I am a dyed in the wool classic fan.

You can change to the classic Ubuntu via..

system..admin..login

KegHead

I believe you can also do that from the login screen. Just enter your name & password, then choose Ubuntu Classic on the bottom panel before hitting "enter".

IPEX-731BA5DD06
April 23rd, 2011, 03:34 AM
you've answered your own question.

Stability, get that with all releases.

Strong support, of course your here.

Do you want support ongoing for 5 yr's, then stick with the LTS That's Long Term Support Release of Ubuntu 10.04, or what for next LTS EDITION release in April 2012. 12.04

If your happy with 6 months, upgrade to 11.04, remember its currently in BETA till the 28th of April 2011, then it goes WILD \\:D/ Errr is released to public

Rubi1200
April 23rd, 2011, 06:45 AM
If you want stability then stick with the LTS releases. In any event, if you decide to upgrade to 11.04, I suggest you wait at least 2 months after the final release so that any initial problems are ironed out; the upgrade experience is likely to be better this way, in my opinion.

As a final tip, always make sure to read the release notes before upgrading any version to make sure there are no conflicts/issues that may affect your particular setup/hardware.